What's new

Microsoft leaked list: title-by-title analysis (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Efrain Lopez III
I recently went through Microsoft's leaked list from a few weeks ago (their official HD-DVD site has now changed the "upcoming titles" list). I think it's pretty interesting:

A few weeks ago, Microsoft's HD-DVD website put up a HUGE list of supposedly upcoming titles. It was shortly removed and now there is a much shorter, more immediate list, but not before I had time to copy and paste the list.

It's really a bit of a mystery though, because some of the titles I don't think are even in production yet (Sin City 2), while other titles on the list served as a good indicator of what was to be announced (Animal House, Army of Darkness, and other Universal films). That said, it is also missing some obvious stuff that was already announced at CES or since then.

Either way, I went through each title to explain it's presence and how seriously each one is possibily acting as an indicator to what will come later this year (for example, Universal had announced since I think January that Tokyo Drift would be their first movie to be released on both DVD and HD-DVD on the same day).

Keeping in mind the following of course, I went through the list:

-Universal is good about announcing their titles months in advance, and have released slated through then end of September, so the remaining titles on the list are probably October-December at the earliest
-Warner will do it a couple of weeks ahead usually.
-Paramount has yet to announce any new info.

Interesting to note that Microsoft may have just been using old lists from either press releases or knowledge in-house of what's coming up, or a combination of both. Some of these which weren't mentioned at all at CES are being announced, like the Universal titles for September. Others, like Warner new releases (Syriana & Kiss Kiss Bang Bang), aren't on the list... I wonder how much of that list we will see this Christmas, or if there is a chance there is stuff on there we won't ever see (Sin City 2, is it even in production yet?) Peculiar to say the least, but anybody wanna comment?

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
I am glad someone copied that list, as I looked at it briefly but then it was gone.

Interesting to see so many titles especially the ones that haven't even seen theaters yet (Sin City 2, Young Hannibal.) Sin City 2 is slated for a Spring 2007 release, so you knows where HD DVD will be then, dead? or larger market share?

I personally am excited about the prospects of Batman Begins, King Kong Harry Potter, and Battlestar Galactica.

Efrain, can you elaborate on the Matrix delay you heard about, that's another one I'd buy, if it had all the exrtas from the super delux box set.

Real Name
Efrain Lopez III
someone (insider) on AVS said they hadn't heard anything about Matrix being close, they estimated holidays or past that, so I went off that... this was a few weeks ago though, so maybe things have changed...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Like so many other things in life...

I'll believe it when I see it (or them). ;)

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
Here's still hoping for my Holiday wish list (HD DVD movies released before Christmas 2006):

Batman Begins
King Kong
Matrix Trilogy
Harry Potter (any of them!)
Battlestar Galactica

It would also be nice to HBO release something on HD DVD; Sproanos, Band of Brothers, From the Earth to the Moon, Deadwood

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
Just curious - what happened to Munich? I just watched this on SD-DVD over the weekend and it is obviously owned by Universal. Does Spielberg have something to do with this?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Holy Crap, Battlestar Season 1 will be a MUST BUY for me. As will the last 2 Fast and the Furious films (hell maybe even the Vin Dissel one).

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
A compressionist who's worked on some of these Warner titles is a regular poster to the AVS Forum, and since he was able to list the average bitrate of the T3 disc, presumably that means it's very close to release.

Real Name
Efrain Lopez III
Well, it's 6 months later and quite a few of those titles made it out. It seems like these are definitely a guide we can use in terms of what the studios are officially working on for release on HD DVD (whether they'll get a release soon or not is a different matter).

I expect a few of those Universal titles won't be too far off...

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I'm not excited about this list. There's a lot of great films on here, but I'm not expecting announcements soon...this could have been a list of titles gathered by someone at microsoft as potential releases, but then could have been pulled because of inaccuracies...who knows...with wide eyes these days, anyone can type anything, post anything...and make mistakes...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks