What's new

Microsoft Believes TV and Media Centers will change drastically (MCE8) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Some interesting thoughts here...

(Please note: While originally NDA 4/20, these were released in full view on Microsoft's monitored forums and have now been commented on by those at MS, so these are no longer under that window, per any knowledge of any of the MS folks, who have commented and made no efforts to remove)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
So some notes on what this means:

1. Microsoft believes next generation codec management, including multi-core handling of them is coming. They highlight AVC/VC1, H264, etc. and highlight more direct format support; which means most likely a direct embed support for Bluray in Windows8, with base decoder technologies, including talk of 3D technology support.

2. They believe the TV Tuner market is dying. Not that they won't support it. CableCard is an option, but they also think IP-TV is fast coming, as well as direct-to-end user IP subscription services. Microsoft would love to be on the ground floor of that one; they could instantly bundle and sell you options (say, HBO) through an IP based subscription service supplanting whatever else you have. This would completely change everything we think about TV subscription services, meaning true "ala carte"

3. Direct to end user specific content allowances is something they imagine. Just like "Hulu Plus" Services where the end user can pay say, $20 a year to watch "True Blood" and "Dexter" without subscribing to the network via an online direct payment method. Could this happen? Interesting.

I'll try out the Asrock Friday, and it appears if all I'm being told is true, I will have my Ceton CableCard solution Tuesday! That's going to be a good little test!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks