What's new

Miami Vice (2006) (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Me too. My only major problem with collateral was the digital photography. It's so obvious video looking that takes me out of the film.
it's been a while since i've seen Collateral but i don't remember being distracted by the use of digital cameras. but i do know i hate many night scenes from HEAT that would probably have looked way better with digital.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
...but the danger is being overly serious
I'm not sure that's possible in a film about the drug trade, undercover operations, and morality concerns. I don't think you can be too serious about it. The show wasn't campy...it was hyper-stylized. But that's Miami. The movie looks tonally perfect to me.
As for the average person that doesn't realize many movies feature a guiding hand (the director, writer, etc) and base their decisions solely on preconceived notions...they probably miss a lot of good films. Ignorance is bliss.
The movie is titled right, and doesn't look campy in the least. It looks like a film directed by the guy that directed Heat, directed Collateral, and exec produced a TV show called Miami Vice 20 years ago :)
It's nice to get a summer film for grown-ups!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Heat was a serious Michael Mann drama and it's amongst my favorites. If Miami Vice the movie is like Heat in central America with Crockett as an undercover agent and Tubbs keeping him in check (forgive me if I got them mixed up) then it will be one of the top five movies ever.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Count me as someone that thinks the show at the time nailed the tone of the 80's and Miami, often got very gritty, and was really good which is exactly why it had such a cultural impact.
The camp came afterward when the idea of it was wrapped up with all things 80's where people always mock the culture they were just a part of (only to later fondly recall it and bring it back).
This film is going to change what people think of when they hear Miami Vice. It looks like a homerun to me and could be one of the bigger hits of the year. Sure looks like another Mann classic.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Maybe he should have called it Miami Heat, making it a pseudo-sequel to Heat and grabbing all the basketball fans at the same time. :D

John Doran

Screenwriter
Carl Johnson said:
Heat was a serious Michael Mann drama and it's amongst my favorites. If Miami Vice the movie is like Heat in central America with Crockett as an undercover agent and Tubbs keeping him in check (forgive me if I got them mixed up) then it will be one of the top five movies ever.
amen to that.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Brandon,
That clip from the Vice pilot is one of my favorite TV moments of all time. I love that damn sequence! :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I just finished Season One and started into Season Two, and it just keeps getting better. In fact, I would have to say that "Prodigal Son"--the two hour season 2 premiere--is the best Vice I've seen yet.

Kami

Screenwriter
Sam Davatchi said:
Me too. My only major problem with collateral was the digital photography. It's so obvious video looking that takes me out of the film. Or let's hope that if they did use digital cameras for this one, they used better ones!
I got the impression that this was intentional. It gave the movie an entirely different feeling in my eyes... that is if you are talking about the motion characteristics. Digital doesn't have to look like that (look at Star Wars, the motion in that is more film-like), it's purely a stylized thing that he did and it works IMO.

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
At least he is using Dion Beebe as his DP - they collaborated on Collateral together and he was also the DP for Memoirs of a Geisha. The film I'm sure will be visually stunning.

What Mann did to capture the grittiness of L.A. in Heat and Collateral, I'm interested in how he captures a more "tropical" location.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Well here's a kick in the ass - got an e-mail as an Entertainment Weekly Subscriber that the first 20 people to respond to the e-mail they sent would be given guest passes to an early screening of Miami Vice.
I jumped, and....Miami Vice isn't showing early in M I A M I.
Oh well, still can't wait to see it, just found it kind of amusing :).

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
It is unfortunate that a remake of In the Air Tonight will be used as the lead song for Miami Vice. I guess it would be ok if I could tolerate the remake, but to me its just really bad and doesn't have any heart to it. Its done by the group Nonpoint and is up on their site if you want to take a listen.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It's not that bad. Yeah, it doesn't have the heart or atmosphere of Phil Collins'.

BTW, if someone posts the soundtrack, please put it in spoiler tags!

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks