Michael Mann's MIAMI VICE (merged)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Nathan V, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Personally, I think this looks outstanding on all fronts. You know it's Mann the minute that helicopter shot comes on and we hear that dialogue, which is something that could only come out of a Mann character's mouth. The sense of atmosphere is palpable. He can do "cool" like no one else.

2. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

I beg to differ, while some of Miami Vice was upbeat the majority of the show was about as downbeat as you can get. It was the first show I remember that almost always ended negatively.

3. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

Thumbs up on this. Looks like another fine movie from one of my favorite filmmakers. Miami Vice was a favorite show of mine as a kid, and this looks like a great update. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Must be the worst designed site ever. Tried to download the trailer and couldn't reach to it easily, so I didn't try any further.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Yeah, having BMW host a trailer is one thing. Having a site that requires you to enter your birthdate and be over 21 is just piss-poor strategy. They're denying themselves a whole market of underage people who are too dumb to lie when it asks.

6. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I'd pretty much watch Michael Mann with a camcorder running around filming jaywalkers so it's no surprise that I'm totally hyped to see this flick. I was a big fan of the TV show and it's comforting that he's at the helm for for this movie version. Also, it doesn't hurt that they'll be cruising around Miami in a brand new Ferrari F430 Spyder. [​IMG]

7. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I guess Mann must have decided he really likes using digital video. I guess I would have liked to see this made on film, but I loved Collateral, so I'm sure this will turn out just fine. I actually had no idea they were making this until I saw this thread.

8. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

The series aspired to be more than the writing and budget allowed. It was always downbeat but it didn't have the depth to justify it. The movie will rectify that.

The music and lack of 80's clothes are the only non-MV things about the trailer. The car shot is a quote (a beautiful one thanks to video), and the speedboat behind the credits is a reference to the series' credits, I think.

(And Bacardi wants to sell Bacardi. They don't care who sees the trailer. Their exclusive is over anyway.)

Edit: Just watched it again. I love that a moment of silence is given for that gorgeous car shot I can't stop talking about.

9. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Steve,

I know what you mean. That just FEELS like the show and I can't wait to see Mann's visual style all over this film. This may be the film I'm looking most forward to next summer.

10. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Hopefully the finale of MV is better than the Colletral one!

11. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

tossed on this one. Not sure what I think of the trailer, but Ferrel? I just can't see liking that.

12. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

I cannot stand Collin Ferrel. I hate the guy. All 4 foot 3 inches of him. But MM writing and directing means I have see the film.

I just hope and pray this film is not PG-13.

13. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

All films thus far in Michael Mann's career are rated R. So no worries there, I hope.

14. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

I knew Sonny Crockett, Sonny Crockett was a friend of mine and Colin Ferrel is no Sonny Crockett.

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Actually Im a bit disappointed with Tubbs.I was hoping JF would be sporting a cooler look - short dreads or something less "plain"

16. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

everyone in the theater I was in laughed and scoffed at the idea and some booed.

I don't think this will do well. It is just too.....cheesey. And I loved Miami Vice growing up.

17. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    The official poster...
    [​IMG]

18. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

19. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

20. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

I don't know what the booing was about, but the laughing is understandable. My friend laughed when I told him the Miami Vice trailer had me excited. As awareness goes up I don't think that attitude will stick around. Some of it could have been affectionate, too.