What's new

Miami Vice (2006) (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Then we disagree. I heard all the dialogue fine, and all of it made perfect sense for undercover cops posing as ex-cons to say. They aren't Harvard grads. Brevity and directness count. But I probably would have understood the entire film with nary a word of dialogue. The visuals illustrated every relationship perfectly.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm sure all Vice cops say stuff like "takin it to the limit one more time".
But I probably would have understood the entire film with nary a word of dialogue. The visuals illustrated every relationship perfectly.
Actually in this rare instance I would've preferred more visuals and less dialogue, but that's just me.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
"they didn't do time with us, they're not doing crime with us".
I loved the line, and thought it was a great spin on the standard phrase, "if you do the crime, you do the time." I love the way his characters talk, tremendously fascinating to listen to, almost mametian at times- " 'meanwhile' holds no ground..." or "this is the hand we've been dealt at 11:47 on a saturday night."

The Gong Li section was actually the most satisfying segment of the film for me. Not being an undercover agent, this was the easiest dynamic of the film for me to relate to, although the idea of losing hold of your identity by pretending to be someone else is definitely something that plagues people where I live. For the most of the film, we're seeing people working, and early on I was thinking, "I wonder what these people are like in their spare time." The second act explores that very well, illuminating the fact that, like all Mann characters, they're really most comfortable when on the job. I know I keep saying this, but what Mann's able to communicate without dialogue is pretty amazing (the mirror scene, the cafe, etc).

Regards,

Nathan

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Not all Vice cops. But probably at least one.

How many adrenaline junkies do you know? Not the fake ones on ESPN, but the REAL ones? The kind who do special forces, or field agents, or undercover stuff? They don't talk like Martin Lawrence and Will Smith. Or Mel Gibson and Danny Glover. They talk like Eric Bana in BHD, or like the actors in MV.

The relationship, like all of them, had minimal language.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
anybody know the song in miami vice trailer or the beginning of the movie? is it jay-z?

Mike.P

Second Unit
I'd be willing to say while the majority of the dialogue is decent, there were definately some crap points.
Most notably when Colin Ferrell and Gong Li meet up in the car and go at it, and after they uh, have some fun, greet each other with a "hola chica" and "hola chico". That really, really sounded lame.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I agree that "hola chica" and "hola chico" was bad. I think a lot less dialogue between Sonny and Isabella and relying more on their body language would have worked a lot better, like in The New World between Smith and Pocahantas.

Anyone think of why Isabella had more backstory than everyone else?

~T

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I think Isabella's backstory allows us to see her as a misguided person so we somewhat sympathize with her. As she says, this is the only life she's known since she was 13 (I think that was the age). And it also allows us to believe that Sonny would want to save her at the end, because there's something more to her than just being a criminal. Just my quick thoughts on the subject. It's a good point, and I'll have to think about it some more.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Brent M said:
As for the car at the end, it was a 4 door Charger SRT-8. I could tell because of the hood scoop(yes, I'm a big car nut). The F430.......well it speaks for itself and was a great replacement for the old Daytona Spyder.
Cool, thanks. I had thought there was a chance it was a Ferrari 456. ;)

Mike.P

Second Unit
wasn't it actually "this is the hand we have been dealt at 11:47 o clock on a saturday night"? I remember thinking that was strange, but at the same time I really liked that line because in its peculiarity, it didn't sound so scripted and more like something a cop would say.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, he definately says 11:47'o clock because I remember thinking nobody says "o clock" unless it's the top of the hour. At least i've never heard it.

Mike.P

Second Unit
OK, just making sure I'm not going crazy.
I actually usually love most of Mann's writing - but my favorite lines from the trailers were cut.
the "Do you understand the meaning of the word forboding..." and the whole "When things get emotional, things get messy, and when things get messy, the wrong people die.." Both of those were great in the trailers, and personally I'd really love to see what we were missing from the longer cuts as I feel if redone a bit, it could have been something special.
As it stands, I'll still say about a B- but could improve on repeat viewings.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Mike.P said:
OK, just making sure I'm not going crazy.
I actually usually love most of Mann's writing - but my favorite lines from the trailers were cut.
the "Do you understand the meaning of the word forboding..." and the whole "When things get emotional, things get messy, and when things get messy, the wrong people die.." Both of those were great in the trailers, and personally I'd really love to see what we were missing from the longer cuts as I feel if redone a bit, it could have been something special.
As it stands, I'll still say about a B- but could improve on repeat viewings.
There were also a lot of shots that were in the trailer that didn't make it into the film. There was one of the Ferrari driving down a city street(not the highway shots in the film), one with a "go fast" boat crusing along at sunset and more scenic stuff like this that didn't make it into the final cut. I wonder if a longer cut will be released on DVD.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I don't think that scene with them in the car at the end of the both the teaser and trailer was in the movie either. (edit: Brent beat me to it.) I'd like to see it all in the form of deleted scenes.
Rewatching the trailer makes me wish I had a competent theater nearby. This movie will get me into an HD format.
Apple has a couple interesting non-EPK featurettes up. One on the martial arts training and one on location scouting. The scouting one is especially good.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/miamivice/

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
First off, can anyone tell me the name of the song that's playing in the club at the very beginning?
I liked it.. It was different than what I was expecting (and yes, I knew it wasn't going to be all pastel clothes and no socks, thank God)..
But alot of stuff I found confusing..
Who the heck was that snitch in the beginning? And how was he able to blow those agents cover? (the guys that get sniped to piec.. Who caught him, the mole they spend the rest of the movie trying to flush out?
es)
Who WAS the mole? I'm sure that was discovered at one point, but I must have missed it..
I need the Miami Vice Coles notes.. :frowning:

Mike.P

Second Unit
Doug,
The song is "Encore/Numb" by Linkin Park/Jay-Z off their collaboration album - don't feel like looking for the exact title, but that will lead you in the right direction.
As for the mole, he never does get discovered, iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks