What's new

MIAMI VICE finally coming to DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Kenneth English

Second Unit

That's fine by me, just as long as it really DOES actually come out (with all original music & songs intact, of course)! :)

BrianNK

Auditioning
Unless you're stuck in the eighties, this may be one of those shows you remember as being brilliant but now may think is cheesy. I'd first rent the box-set when it comes out, wouldn't run out and buy it. From what I remember, (though I loved the show and have seen every episode), it was extremely eighties - and that can be very bad from today's perspective.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
While watching reruns on TNN (or Spike TV or whatever it is now) several months ago I came to the realization that I still love Miami Vice and will definitely be picking up all 5 seasons. The show may have a bit of an 80's feel to it but it definitely still holds up well to this day. I wasn't a big fan of the last couple of seasons but I'll have to get them anyway for the sake of completeness.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I don't find this show cheesy at all. Actually I find it better than most shows today. I watched all 5 seasons a year ago and while some episodes, especially season 5, were not great, the show has really held up over time.

Jeff

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans

Thanks Brian, I'll remember that...:angry: :thumbsdown:

Anyways...to this day there is nothing more visually hipnotic than this show...The good ol days of Fridays on NBC...What a great thing DVD is!

Kenneth English

Second Unit

Humbug. For nostalgia value alone it's worth a blind buy. However, I'd say the show holds up very well, regardless. Michael Mann really changed TV with Miami Vice. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you. Besides, the 80s rules! :D

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I've never seen Miami Vice, but I do know it's from Michael Mann and I do love his films and his other TV show, Crime Story. As for Miami Vice being dated, of course it is, it's from the 80s, just as Serpico or The French Connection are from the 70s. If I can enjoy Mann's Manhunter, with its obvious 80s affectations (or Friedkin's To Live and Die in LA), I don't see watching Miami Vice a problem concerning its time period (of course writing and acting are other matters entirely). It's a time capsule from a different decade and I think people expect that when they watch it. I'll give it a rental and see if the writing and acting hold up to the show's reputation.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
The acting was first rate throughout. Don Johnson even though he has his critics due to his reported ego was fantastic in the role of Sonny Crockett. He is an Icon of 80's Pop Culture. Edward James Olmos is always value for money and the rest of the cast performed very well. The show was a lot of fun. Explosions, Car Chases, Neon Lights, $1000 dollar suits, pumping guitar music, great scenery, shoot outs, Sunglasses, inner angst, broken relationships because of "the job", Drugs, The most expensive car in the world etc. Miami Vice was and still is sheer entertainment. Buy it, don't rent it. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
And don't forget having the actual singers sing their own songs. Not cover bands.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
And "Miami Vice" had SO many great guest stars! The names that appeared on there were diverse...

From Phil Collins, Sheena Easton, The Power Station, El DeBarge, Gene Simmons, Ted Nugent, Little Richard and The Fat Boys to Richard Belzer, Harry Shearer, Tommy Chong, Mark-Linn Baker, Ellen Greene, Emo Phillips and Penn & Teller to Don King, G. Gordon Liddy and Lee Iacocca, they got great dramatic performances out of people who you would AND wouldn't expect.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Looking forward to this, for sure!

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
This is excellent news cause many of us thought that Miami Vice would never come to DVD because it uses a lot of music. I'm just wondering if the season 1 release of Miami Vice will have the original music or did Universal replace the music.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck

Most definitely. Todays mindless drones who watch/produce reality TV would definitely view Miami Vice as bad. Too bad I view all of them as surplus population whose removal would benefit the gene pool as a whole.

The only thing that might start to grate would be all the pastels they wore. White Blazer over a pink T anyone?

Jeff

Supporting Actor

Yeah but those crazy styles are one of the things that makes the show so great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks