What's new

'Miami Vice' Details (1 Viewer)

Mark E J

Second Unit
From what I hear the extra footage mainly applies to a subplot about Neptune, the pimp they were going after in the club. However this subplot does contain two big action scenes: The much talked about boat race, and a shootout in North Miami.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Hmmm, that sounds pretty cool actually. It might be a very welcome additional 7 min. if that's the case.

Mark E J

Second Unit
I've read the script and the only real deleted scenes are as follows:

Offshore boat race.

After the deal is set with Montoya in Haiti Tubb's gets a phone call Trudy which leads to a conversation about said call. (It's more interesting than it sounds but I don't want give away spoilers)

A Sting operation (Connected to the boat race in the beginning) that turns into a shootout in North Miami.

That's about it. The rest missing material is just extra dialouge or small extensions to existing scenes. That's not to say these addition's are not significant but the probably won't add a lot of screen time. So 7 minutes sounds about right.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I hope they don’t change the beginning for the Director Cut. I liked how it just dropped you into the action. Of course this was a movie with characters we knew there backgrounds before even one frame was projected. I wonder how someone with no knowledge of Miami Vice would have liked the start of the film.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I love how we're thrown into the world instantly, with no introductory scenes that remind us we're watching a movie. He always seems to think of interesting ways to introduce us to the characters. As far as I know, the boat scene begins with a shot just underwater, with abstract bubbles, and we break the surface just as one of the boats speeds past the camera. Personally, I hope the 7 minutes is just more "Michael Mann" moments, a la De Niro looking out the window in Heat, or Will Smith sipping his coffee. The contemplative aspect that pervades his other films seemed just the lightest tad more muted here. Of course, I have absolutely nothing against seeing a boat race and another shootout!

Regards,
Nathan

PS- If you're in LA on the 25th, you might want to ask him about this yourself- he'll be at a book signing in Beverly Hills.

MAK

Auditioning
Real Name
Makram Daou
Does anyone know if the Directors cuts is R1 exclusive ? The R2 DVD is listed as being 146mins long on amazon.co.uk :crazy:

MAK

Mark E J

Second Unit
Now the word is 19 additional minutes instead of 7. Also I think it is a lock that the begining is going to be changed. Although the new begining has the same idea as the old one it just drops you into the middle of a boat race instead of a club.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely hyped about this one. Not my favorite Mann flick, but I really love Mann, and I'd love to see a longer cut of this film, even if it's not too much more. I felt like it was kind of rushed, which is not generally like Mann who gives the audience good spots to breathe in his films. I'm hoping it looks and sounds great too, all his more recent films have been fantastic transfers, so I have high hopes especially since it's coming out on HD-DVD simultaneously.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
I really enjoyed this in the theater, and have been looking forward to seeing it again on DVD. I'll probably even get both versions, simply because I liked the theatrical cut but I'm also interested in the director's cut. It wouldn't be the first time I double-dipped on a title.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I watched the director's cut last night and have to admit liking the theatrical cut better. I obviously don't notice exactly where he tinkered with the editing and so on, beyond him moving some of the background songs around (he replaced the end credits music, thank goodness), so I can't comment on that, but the new scenes are mostly talking head stuff explaining things we already knew in excessive detail. The one or two places where he added or changed songs in the third act of the film is an obvious attempt to create more tension.

Personally, I liked the opening of the theatrical version better, I preferred the pacing, and I don't miss the badly-acted, poorly written deleted scenes, and the music shuffling is mildly irritating -- with the exception of the end credits, which is the only place where the director's cut pleases me more.

I think I'm going to rent the theatrical cut to refresh my memory and then possibly buy that disc instead.

The special features aren't bad, so far as I've seen, and I look forward to Mann's (first?) commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks