What's new

MGM wish list... (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
As usual, I'll provide some clarifcation on rights:
NEAR DARK
Yes, technically this is not MGM's property. However, StudioCanal, who does own the film, has a relationship with MGM due to their shared rights of the Embassy library, and in one odd case, they have licensed a DEG title (BLUE VELVET) to MGM, so it could happen.
THE STEPFATHER
This was a title financed by ITC, which became part of the Polygram library that MGM bought. BUT, MGM sold the ITC library to U.K.'s Carlton Communications (the former Rank Organisation). HOWEVER, a pre-existing deal between Samuel Goldwyn and Rank means MGM has access to selected Carlton titles, and this is where I think this movie falls in. So it's valid to ask MGM to release it.
WILD AT HEART
I keep hearing conflicting accounts of whether MGM owns video rights on this or not. They definitely have TV and theatrical rights, through their Samuel Goldwyn buyout. I believe they must have video, or if not now, will inherit video rights, because this was a film financed by Polygram before they had their own distribution company, so on two fronts -- Polygram and Goldwyn -- they should be covered.
UNTIL SEPTEMBER and SHOOT THE MOON are now at Warner Bros.
For my two cents, I will back up VALLEY GIRL, THE BURNING, PLAY DIRTY, FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE, BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN, ROMEO IS BLEEDING, and SPLIT IMAGE. And here is my list:
A PRAYER FOR THE DYING (Mike Hodges' preferred cut)
MATA HARI (Curtis Harrington's preferred cut)
CHERRY HILL HIGH
THE HAPPY HOOKER quartet
all MGM's Alan Rudolph films
THE PARTY
BARFLY
CONVOY
THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (both the Hammer version with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, and the parody with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore)
COP
STORMY MONDAY
SWORD OF THE VALIANT (with director Stephen Weeks commentary)
I, MONSTER
DR. HECKYLL AND MR. HYPE
THE APPLE
JOE
WHAT? a/k/a DIARY OF FORBIDDEN DREAMS
PULP
SMILE
BEAST IN THE CELLAR
DOWN BY LAW
SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT
RETURN OF THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (independent TV movie owned by Trans World inherited by MGM, not in same package as TV show now owned by WB)
ABBY
all previous UA films by Pier Paolo Pasolini
WINTER KILLS (with commentary by William Richert)
ROAD GAMES (with commentary by Richard Franklin)
CATTLE ANNIE AND LITTLE BRITCHES
MELODY
IMAGES
and I would hope someone would put up the money to license the great commentary tracks done for their Embassy titles previously by Image laserdisc. They are too valuable to be lost to outdated technology.
------------------
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Gee! Are you sure about 'UNTIL SEPTEMBER' being a Warner Title. I didn't know it had anything to do with Warner / Turner etc.
Thanks,
------------------
M.J.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I didn't know UNTIL SEPTEMBER had anything to do with Warner / Turner etc.
That's the maddening thing about MGM/UA in the eighties. After MGM bought United Artists, they released most of their product with an MGM logo on it, but for contractual reasons, some of those movies were considered MGM releases and some UA releases. The WB/Turner buyout goes all the way to 1986, and that's where UNTIL SEPTEMBER falls.
------------------
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Sam Shore

Grip
I would like to see:
Americanization of Emily, The .. (1964) Garner / Andrews
Boys Night Out ....................... (1962) Garner / Novak
Hawaii ..................................... (1966) von Suydow / Andrews
Home From The Hill ................. (1960) Mitchum / Parker
Hospital, The ........................... (1971) Scott / Rigg
Lady L ..................................... (1965) Newman / Loren
Night of the Iguana, The .......... (1964) Burton / Kerr
Telefon ..................................... (1977) Bronson / Remick

Sean Cullen

Agent
UHF: Special Edition
RoboCop 2: Special Edition
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: Special Edition
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey: Special Edition
------------------
htf.gif

Please Release Sports Night on DVD!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
NORTHWEST PASSAGE and SHOOT THE MOON were MGM films and now belong to the hellish Warner Bros, so you can practically consider them MIA. I'd like MGM to issue a proper OAR edition of JACK THE GIANT KILLER, not the P&S (family title) version, which was included on the laser.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Please release RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD on DVD soon...
thank you!
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
UHF: Special Edition
and
200 Motels: Special Edition.
C'mon, MGM, These two need to be released.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The Americanization of Emily, Boys Night Out, Lady L, Night of the Iguana, and Telefon are all now at WB. Only The Hospital and Hawaii are MGM's property -- don't know about Home from the Hill.
And I cannot believe in my long list of obscurities, I left off a crucial title for all film lovers:
CONTEMPT
Rialto, the BFI, and Canal + did a great restoration on this years ago, but unlike the other reissues done by Rialto, this has yet to surface on tape or DVD because MGM has video rights to it. So please, make this available. And while there's still time, sit Jack Palance down so he can tell us the tale of working with three legends in one film: Godard, Fritz Lang, and Brigitte Bardot. And be sure to include the innovative trailer Godard himself made.
------------------

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Just thought of another rarity that needs to be released on DVD by MGM: Wes Craven's Deadly Blessing.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting for Buckaroo Banzai
Of the top of my head (and no where complete):
The Party
I Want to Live
One Two Three
200 Motels
The Long Goodbye
The Hospital
Night of the Iguana
Billion Dollar Brain
Duck You Sucker/Fistfull of Dynamite
A set completely remastered set of the Man With No Name complete with deleted scenes and audio correctly sinked up with commentary by Clint Eastwood.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo
[Edited last by LarryDavenport on August 29, 2001 at 06:31 PM]

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Larry, I know for a fact that a SE of Buckaroo Banzai is due in Q1 next year.
And The Party is coming out in December!
I'm still hoping that the Mad Max SE mentioned in a post a couple of months back is happening.
It's easy to slag on MGM, but I'm really impressed by the Carrie SE. Very nice, folks.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I'd like to request Stephen King's "Cat's Eye". It was shot in 2.35:1 Panavision yet has NEVER been letterboxed on video. This would be a terrific title to have on DVD.
-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks