MGM Press Release: Yentl Extended Director's Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    NOTHING’S IMPOSSIBLE

YENTL
    EXTENDED DIRECTOR’S EDITION

Barbra Streisand’s Golden Globeâ Award-Winning Musical Odyssey Debuts on 2-Disc DVD for the First Time February 3 from MGM Home Entertainment

“Three cheers for chutzpah!”
    Richard Corliss, Time

“…charming and moving...”
    Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“Streisand gives Yentl a heart that sings and spirit that soars.”
    People Magazine

“The best directing debut since Citizen Kane!”
    Steven Spielberg

LOS ANGELES, CA – In turn of the century Eastern Europe, a Jewish girl disguises herself as a boy in order to pursue a religious education in Yentl, available on DVD for the first time February 3rd from MGM Home Entertainment and timed to the films 25th Anniversary. Starring multiple award winner* Barbra Streisand (A Star Is Born, The Way We Were), Golden Globe® nominee** Mandy Patinkin (“Chicago Hope,” The Princess Bride) and Amy Irving (Traffic, Crossing Delancey) in her Academy Award®-nominated role, Yentl is based on a play by Leah Napolin and Isaac Bashevis Singer’s original short story “Yentl, the Yeshiva Boy.” When Yentl’s (Streisand) father (played by Nehemiah Persoff), who secretly tutored her throughout her childhood in the Talmud – the primary source of Jewish religion law - dies, she faces a life of female drudgery with no hope of continuing her studies. Frustrated by her feminine destiny, feisty Yentl transforms herself into looking like a boy, renames herself Anshel, and heads for the nearest Talmudic academy where she hopes to pass as a male student. There she falls in love with fellow student Avigdor (Patinkin), who in turn is in love with Hadass (Irving). After numerous complications ensue, Yentl, determined to get what she wants, leaves Europe for America to pursue her dream of serious study without needing to hide her identity as a woman.

Incorporating humor and music to relate Yentl’s journey, the film won an Academy Award in 1984 for best original score and received four Oscar nominations including Amy Irving for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Art Direction/Set Direction, and Best Original Songs including “Papa, Can You Hear Me?” and “The Way He Makes Me Feel,” both sung by Streisand. Additional accolades include two Golden Globe award wins and four nominations, and a Grammy Award nomination for Best Album of Instrumental Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special.

The Yentl Extended Director’s Edition Two-Disc DVD set includes never before seen bonus features such as Barbra Streisand’s Original Concept Reel, rehearsal/final film comparisons, storyboard montages for musical numbers, deleted scenes, and much more, and will be available for a suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S./$37.98 Canada. Prebook is January 17th.

* Oscar Awards: 2 wins (A Star is Born, Funny Girl); Golden Globe Awards: 3 wins (Yentl, A Star is Born, Funny Girl)
    ** 1995: Best Performance by an Actor in a TV-Series - Drama, “Chicago Hope;” 1984 : Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy/Musical, Yentl

Synopsis
    The legendary Barbra Streisand shines as producer, co-writer, director and star of this radiant film about a young woman who risks everything for her insatiable passion to learn. Masquerading as a young man, she enters the Yeshiva to fulfill her forbidden desire for knowledge. But in a place where even the strongest mind can be betrayed by the body, how long can she uphold her secret before her new friends – and the young man she’s come to love – discover the shocking truth?

Special Features
    The Yentl Extended Director’s Edition DVD is presented in widescreen with English Dolby Surround 5.1 sound. Special features include:

Disc One:
    · Streisand Introduction #1 (Anniversary & Collector’s Edition)
    · Commentary with Barbra Streisand and Executive Producer Rusty Lemorande
    (Anniversary & Collector’s Edition)
    · 11 Deleted Scenes (Anniversary & Collector’s Edition)
    Disc Two:
    · Barbra Streisand’s Introduction to Disc 2 (Collector’s Edition)
    · Barbra Streisand’s Original Concept Reel (Streisand Introduction included)
    (Collector’s Edition)
    · The Director’s Reed (Streisand Introduction included) (Collector’s Edition)
    · Rehearsal/Final Film Comparisons (Collector’s Edition)
    · Where is it Written? Rehearsal (Streisand Introduction included) (Collector’s Edition)
    · Where is it Written? Rehearsal/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition)
    · No Wonder Rehearsal (Collector’s Edition)
    · No Wonder Rehearsal/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition)
    · The Way He Makes Me Feel Rehearsal (Collector’s Edition)
    · The Way He Makes Me Feel/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition)
    · No Wonder – Reprise Rehearsal (Collector’s Edition)
    · No Wonder – Reprise Rehearsal/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition)
    · Tomorrow Night Rehearsal (Collector’s Edition)
    · Tomorrow Night Rehearsal/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition)
    · Will Someone Ever Look at Me That Way? Rehearsal/Final Film Comparison
    (Collector’s Edition)
    · Storyboard Montages for Musical Numbers (Collector’s Edition)
    · Deleted Number: The Moon and I (Streisand Introduction included) (Collector’s Edition)
    · Deleted Number: Several Sins a Day (Collector’s Edition)
    · Papa, Can You Hear Me? (Collector’s Edition)
    · A Piece of Sky (Collector’s Edition)
    · Tomorrow Night (Collector’s Edition)
    · Teaser Trailer
    · Theatrical Trailer
    · Photo Gallery

Yentl
    Price: $29.98 U.S./$37.98 Canada (Extended Director’s Edition)
    Order Due Date: January 17, 2009
    Street Date: February 3, 2009
    Catalog Number: M111776 (Extended Director’s Edition)
    Total Run Time: 133 minutes
    Rating: PG
    Screen Format: Widescreen
    Subtitles: English/Spanish
    Closed Captioned: Yes

2. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    So what's the deal with this release? Is there only one DVD edition coming out, or two? Amazon, DVD Empire, and DVD Pacific only have the $29.95 2-disc special edition, DeepDiscount and DVD Planet only have the $14.95 1-disc, and Tower.com has both!

3. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

There is only one release. Amazon originally had a 14.99 MSRP 2 disc edition which they were selling for $8.99. They cancelled all preorders of this edition saying the release was cancelled. They then showed the $29.99 2 disc edition which they are currently selling for $19.99.

4. Marco S

Marco S Agent

I can remember this being released on laserdisc. I think Criterion --Is this the same commentary? There was some sort of controversy when the disc was announced or released. Wasn't there a CAV and CLV version?? Anyone remember???

5. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

The commentary controversy was with Criterion's PRINCE OF TIDES, wasn't it?

6. haroldS

haroldS Stunt Coordinator

I was one of those who pre-ordered the $8.99 Yentl at Amazon. If Yentl is going to be released, it would have been the better practice to honor the outstanding orders for what ever is released. Remember, it is Amazon that make of point of their pre-release price guarantee, presumably to encourage sales. This charges my feelings about Amazon and I'm going back to Barnes and Noble and DeepDiscount.

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

This came out last week - and is no longer available anywhere, as far as I can tell! Did it go out of print already for some funky reason? Streisand discs seem to do that... [​IMG]

8. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Most curious, Colin. I checked deepdiscount, dvdempire and dvdplanet and all of them had "out of stock" or "temporarily sold out" regarding Yentl. I suspect either there were shipping problems or the demand exceeded the stock available ... which does sound unlikely ...

Didn't Streisand demand a recall on all the Prince Of Tides laserdiscs at one time because she wasn't satisfied with something?

Anyway, I got my copy at Best Buy last Tuesday and it's a great set for fans of the film.

9. haroldS

haroldS Stunt Coordinator

Amazon shows the title only available used. There was no indication it was out of stock or there being a hyper-link to be notified when it comes back into stock.

10. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

One of the comments on Amazon suggests that the DVD is defective. The poster said they received a copy which wouldn't play properly and that the replacement copy they received had the same problem. There has to be something up with this release, as it isn't available anywhere ad it was only released a week ago.

11. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

My copy played just fine...

12. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

My copy has no problems.

13. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Ditto here, played just fine on my player.

14. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray

My copy played fine. However, at the menu screen, my player made the same rumbling noise heard on my three defective copies of Fox's recent Alfred Hitchcock box set. So I suspect a similar problem exists here for some people.

15. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    I know this a thread on Yentl but can someone tell me why Runaway Train still hasn't gotten the DVD it deserves? It is the single most important title I want to re-introduce to my collection so that I can finally consider it complete

16. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Supporting Actor

saw this at Borders at 57th st NYC

17. mona_r

mona_r Auditioning