MGM Press Release: This is Spinal Tap (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    TURN THE HIGH-DEF HIJINKS UP TO ELEVEN
    WITH THE BLU-RAY DEBUT OF

THIS IS SPINAL TAP

Celebrate The 25th Anniversary Of Rob Reiner’s Hilarious & Iconic Cult Classic Premiering On Blu-ray Disc July 28 From MGM Home Entertainment

Tap Into Brand New Exclusives Including The Band’s 2007
    Live Earth Reunion Performance At Wembley Stadium

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – Crank it up to eleven with the revolutionary UK rock band as This is Spinal Tap screams its way to Blu-ray Disc July 28 from MGM Home Entertainment. Academy AwardÒ nominee* Rob Reiner’s (A Few Good Men) directorial debut, This is Spinal Tap has been hailed as “the funniest movie ever made about rock and roll” (Newsweek). Christopher Guest (Best in Show), Academy AwardÒ nominee** Michael McKean (A Mighty Wind) and Emmy AwardÒ nominee*** Harry Shearer (“The Simpsons”) star as Nigel Tufnel, David St. Hubbins and Derek Smalls, AKA Spinal Tap! Satirizing the wild personal behavior and musical pretensions of classic rock gods, This is Spinal Tap presents a second-rate band made up of aging members who are desperately trying to cling onto what little fame they used to have. With Rob Reiner starring as the documentary filmmaker, This is Spinal Tap also features hilarious performances by Billy Crystal (When Harry Met Sally), Ed Begley, Jr. (“St. Elsewhere”) and Fran Drescher (“The Nanny”), among many others. Inducted into the National Film Registry in 2002, This is Spinal Tap has left an indelible mark on pop culture as evidenced by its numerous imitators and its esteemed spot at number one atop Entertainment Weekly’s “Top 50 Cult Movies of All Time.”

Available for the first time on Blu-ray disc, the disc features cast and crew commentary, deleted scenes, music videos and more. Also included is a DVD with brand new exclusives featuring Spinal Tap’s 2007 Live Earth reunion performance of their hit “Stonehenge” at Wembley Stadium and Nigel Tufnel’s interview for the National Geographic Stonehenge special. This is Spinal Tap Blu-ray disc will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada. Prebook is July 1.

* 1993: Best Picture, A Few Good Men
    ** 2004: Best Music, Original Score, A Mighty Wind
    *** 1980: Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program, “Saturday Night Live”

Synopsis:
    In 1982 legendary British heavy metal band Spinal Tap attempt an American comeback tour accompanied by a fan who is also a film-maker. The resulting documentary, combined with powerful performances of Spinal Tap’s pivotal music and profound lyrics, candidly follows a rock group heading towards crisis, culminating in the infamous affair of the 18-inch-high Stonehenge stage prop surrounded by dancing midgets.

Special Features:
    The This is Spinal Tap BD release will be authored in BD-Java presented in widescreen format (1.85:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 DTS HD Lossless Audio.
    Bonus features include:

Disc 1
    · Over 1 Hour of Deleted Scenes and Outtakes
    · Audio Commentary by the Members of Spinal Tap
    · Catching Up With Marty DiBergi Featurette
    · Flower People Press Conference
    · 4 Classic Spinal Tap Music Videos
    o Gimme Some Money
    o (Listed to the) Flower People
    o Hell Hole
    o Big Bottom
    · Spinal Tap Appearance on The Joe Franklin Show
    · Spinal Tap sells cheese and a variety of other exciting products

Disc 2
    · "Stonehenge" Performance at the 2007Live Earth Concert
    · National Geographic Stonehenge Interview with Nigel Tufnel

THIS IS SPINAL TAP BLU-RAY DISC
    Street Date: July 28, 2009
    Pre-book Date: July 1, 2009
    BD Price: $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada
    Catalog #: M113258
    Total Running Time: 83 minutes
    MPAA Rating: R
    Closed Captioned: Yes

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I'm assuming this isn't a new commentary. Ported over from a previous DVD I assume. Nevertheless I'm getting this for sure.

How is the commentary?
    As themselves or in character mode commentary?

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

In character. It's entertaining - not as good as the "for real" commentary from the Criterion version, but more enjoyable than I expected, as I usually dislike those "in character" bits...

4. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Actually, I thought Robert Downey, Jr. was a riot for Tropic Thunder...

"None more BLU..."

Now, does anybody kinow the contents on the DVD included with Tuesday's (6/16) "Back From The Dead" CD?

5. WillG

WillG Producer

Didn't early specs indicate that this was supposed to have the original commentary? I don't see that anymore on this release.

6. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow

Yes, two commentaries actually - one with Rob Reiner and the filmmakers, and the other with the actors NOT in character.

I was looking forward to listening to them. I'm going to be disappointed if they're not there.

7. Jonathon M

Jonathon M Stunt Coordinator

Jonathon
    Still missing a couple of videos that were released on previous MGM video releases of the film.

Just give us a version that truly does go to 11, goddammit!

8. RaveenaJust

RaveenaJust Auditioning

URN THE HIGH-DEF HIJINKS UP TO ELEVEN
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    Ok so I found a copy at my local BARNES & Noble today on BD.
    They have it still showing the 7/14/09 release date.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet... but from the specs on the back of the case so far it looks good.

It states AVC@33MBPS which for an 83 min film this is a criterion style bit rate.

I am only hoping that they didn't DNR the transfer... crossing fingers

So I quickly checked out the image quality on the BD... first off we all hate the cover art right? So the Menu Design is REALLY very cool. Very nicely done.

The film opens with the forced MGM logo, but then thankfully and very nice to see the classic EMBASSY Pictures logo precede the film! So this is cool.

I could tell from the start we still had some decent film grain but not too much, and some shot show good detail while other shots were a little soft, which they always were. So it looks to be as good as it can get transfer for SPINAL TAP and that is great news esp since the disc was delayed was it three times?

*** I have just played the Criterion DVD non-anamorphic - It seems to have more grain then the BD which I could be wrong... the BD doesn't show as much artifacts which I don't mind on this film since it adds to the film some authenticity. I still have to say even though I believe the BD image shows less film grain than the OOP Criterion DVD release the BD does exhibit more detail.

The lossless audio sounded really good. I don't remember it sounding that good in DD5.1 on the old DVD... which I got rid of... I however still own the Criterion DVD release for the commentary track that seems to be under their license only.