MGM Press Release: This Is Spinal Tap (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THE HIGH-DEF EQUIVALENT OF ELEVEN
    ROCKS OUT WITH THE BLU-RAY DEBUT OF

THIS IS SPINAL TAP

MGM Home Entertainment Releases Rob Reiner’s Hilarious Rockumentary Starring Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer Debuts on Blu-ray Disc January 20th

Brand New BD Exclusive Game, “Create Your Own Band” Sends Those Other Rock Games Back To The High School Auditorium

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – Ring in the New Year with the revolutionary UK rock band as This is Spinal Tap screams its way to Blu-ray Disc January 20th from MGM Home Entertainment. Directed by Academy AwardÒ nominee* Rob Reiner (A Few Good Men), This is Spinal Tap is Reiner’s directorial debut and is the “…absolutely inspired film” (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times) responsible for introducing mock documentaries to mainstream American audiences. Renowned comedy director Christopher Guest (Best in Show), Academy AwardÒ nominee** Michael McKean (A Mighty Wind) and Emmy AwardÒ nominee *** Harry Shearer (“Saturday Night Live”) star as the three members of the fictional heavy-metal/hard rock band Spinal Tap. Satirizing the wild personal behavior and musical pretensions of hard-rock and heavy-metal bands, This is Spinal Tap presents a second-rate band made up of aging band members who are desperately trying to cling onto what little fame they used to have. This is Spinal Tap also includes cameo appearances by renowned actors such as Billy Crystal (When Harry Met Sally), Anjelica Houston (The Addams Family) and Ed Begley, Jr. (Pineapple Express). Inducted into the National Film Registry in 2002, This is Spinal Tap has left an indelible mark on pop culture as evidenced by its numerous imitators and its esteemed spot at number one atop Entertainment Weekly’s “Top 50 Cult Movies of All Time.”

For the first time fans can own all of the special features included on the previous standard-def as well as Laserdisc versions with a brand new BD-exclusive game, “Create Your Own Band.”

This is Spinal Tap Blu-ray Disc will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada.

* 1993: Best Picture (A Few Good Men)
    ** 2004: Best Music, Original Score (A Mighty Wind)
    ***1980: Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program (“Saturday Night Live”)

Synopsis:
    In 1982 legendary British heavy metal band Spinal Tap attempt an American comeback tour accompanied by a fan who is also a film-maker. The resulting documentary, combined with powerful performances of Spinal Tap's pivotal music and profound lyrics, candidly follows a rock group heading towards crisis, culminating in the infamous affair of the eighteen-inch-high Stonehenge stage prop surrounded by dancing midgets.

Special Features:
    The This is Spinal Tap BD release will be authored in BD-Java presented in widescreen format (1.78:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 DTS HD Lossless Audio.

Bonus features include:
    · NEW Create Your Own Band Game – Create and customize your very own rock star avatars
    · Commentary by Spinal Tap
    · Commentary by Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer
    · Commentary by Director Rob Reiner, Producer Karen Murphy and Editors Robert Leighton
    and Kent Beyda
    · Deleted Scenes
    · Flower People Press Conference
    · Spinal Tap appearance on “The Joe Franklin Show”
    · Music Videos
    o Gimme Some Money
    o (Listed to the) Flower People
    o Hell Hole
    o Big Bottom
    · Theatrical Trailer
    · Cheese Rolling Trailer
    · Rock and Rolls Commercials

This is Spinal Tap Blu-ray Disc
    Street Date: January 20, 2009
    Pre-book Date: December 10, 2008
    BD Price: $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada
    Catalog #: M113258
    Total Running Time: 83 minutes
    MPAA Rating: R
    Closed Captioned: Yes

2. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    Wow, we're actually getting the Criterion commentaries?! I mentioned it in another thread as a wish; I didn't think it would actually happen. Since the studio is obviously putting some effort into this release, maybe there's a chance we'll get the original burned-in subtitles.

3. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Where's the Dobly soundtrack? [​IMG]

4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Don't you mean Doubly? [​IMG]

5. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

That's a poorly written subtitle track, my friend...('Dobly' is Janine's misinformed pronunciation in the thick Brit accent...Gawd, I hate explaining jokes...)

Still no sales pitch reel, sadly.

I will buy it and keep it sealed, for this blu-ray cannot be played...

(and the quotes just keep rolling in...)

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Ahh, extras.

Now that's not so hard, is it, MGM?

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Dear MGM:

Please either:
    a) keep the original burned in subtitles (preferred), or
    b) improve the look/font/anti-aliasing of the player generated subtitles on the Blu-Ray

Criterion's DVD had the original subs (IIRC) and the difference between that and the "Atari 2600 font style" of the player generated subs of the MGM SE DVD of Spinal Tap was striking--in favor of Criterion and the original burned-in subs.

The subs play such a key part of the movie and is part of the overall joke, so please do option a) if possible.

Thanks!

8. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Of course I am excited about this release as is everyone else. The only thing I have to say about it is that I, too, would really, really like to see the original, burned-in subtitles. Pretty, pretty please?

9. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Second Unit

Jeff Robertson

Agreed. Like The Godfather. Very nicely done player generated subs.

10. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Cinematographer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    An MGM catalog BD release with Special Features???

The world must be coming to an end...... [​IMG]

11. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    I heard a rumor that Spinal Tap may even do a 25th reunion tour next year.

Seems I remember a DVD commentary by the band stating that Spinal Tap has to regroup, preform and show that they are still a business entity every "x" number of years, in order to maintain home video rights / royalties.

When the movie first came out, people didn't buy movies. So as long as Tap is putting out new configurations of this DVD every so many years (with new features, etc.), they can claim ownership. If they go longer than the period of time, some other party gets the distribution rights.

Anyone else remember this or have better details?

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    If people ask me my favorite film, I usually mention "Casablanca", but I have to admit that I have watched "This is Spinal Tap" more times from beginning to end than any other movie. I stood pat with my Criterion DVD, so this is a no-brainer purchase for me.

Regards,

13. Carlo Medina

Casablanca vs. This Is Spinal Tap?

Pshaw! Only one of those films goes to 11!

14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    MGM Home Entertainment is postponing the Blu-ray release of THIS IS SPINAL TAP. A press release announcing a new date is forthcoming.

15. Carlo Medina

At first this is disappointing news, but I'm hopeful that perhaps this was one of those "in the pipeline" transfers that perhaps they are going back and re-doing to improve PQ and AQ.

And, of course, to properly recreate the burned-in subtitles. [​IMG]

16. David Deeb

David
  17. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Someone uploaded a new date of 3/17/09 to the dvdaf.com listing of it. No idea if that's correct.

18. David Deeb

David
    Amazon is showing a July 14th release date. Hopefully, this is back on track for good.

19. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    With Blu-Ray, there's no reason for burned-in subs. They could use an identical font used in the original film and you'd never know the difference. Plus, you stay one generation closer to the original negative.

Just re-create the subs in the correct font and I'll be happy.

20. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Using the correct font is also possible when authoring DVDs, it's just that few producers go to the trouble.

It will be interesting when the PQ reactions come in regarding this film, shot inexpensively on grainy 16mm.