MGM Press Release: Licence to Kill and The Man With The Golden Gun (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I've got the first 2 box set and plan to get this third box set. And QoS separately. That Best Buy deal is interesting to get those 2 titles earlier. I'll hold out and see if the deals are good at Costco too.

Later on, one can always buy separate cases and place each film in it's own box which I may do. Or I make my own custom box that's easier to access.

2. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Which retailer has the steelbooks for these two?

3. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    I'd exercise some caution, folks. The Blu-ray of MOONRAKER is pretty awful and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH isn't much better. I've posted on this in the relevant thread - basically, way overcompressed with bit rate dropping to nearly 17 mbps. Something's gone badly wrong, imo.

4. troy evans

troy evans Screenwriter

I went to my local BB today to confirm this was actually coming out after a post in the Weekly Round Up thread saying that it was not. Good news is it's coming exactly as BB reported. Better news for you and others is that these are, in fact, individual Blu-rays packed in a slip case. I got to look at this set today, but, couldn't buy it yet. Just to give you an idea, the packaging is the same as what was done with the Spiderman blu-ray set.

5. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams

I was wondering that myself. No one's announced any yet.

6. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Can you provide a scene or timestamp of where you are seeing compression problems? Although I have not watched the entire movie, I have sampled this new transfer (Moonraker) and what I saw looked quite good.

BTW, a low end bit rate of 17 mb/s for AVC is not low.

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

That should be about 35-40 minutes in I would guess.
    I realize it's not high on most peoples lists, but it's still a nostalgic favorite of mine and probably the title I was most looking forward to of the rest left.
    It should have been one of the best looking too, as it was one of the only post Connerys to be given a new 4K transfer.
    I've also seen chatter of noticeable (intrusive?) EE on LTK. Has anyone checked that one here?

8. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Hmm. I have also sampled this one and found it to be a very noticeable improvement over the older transfer (forgetting the resolution increase). Now that I think about it, the new transfer of LTK is quite sharp and has a high degree of contrast with very deep black levels. I would not be surprised if some displays may have the look of edge enhancement, but again, I'll take a closer look this evening.

9. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

I watched Moonraker (region B release) on my projector a couple of days ago and I thought it looked excellent overall. I just double checked the scene in question on the BD drive in my laptop and I do not see any blurry faces or motion-trailing so it might be Anthony's display that is causing these issues.

10. Anthony Neilson

Anthony

OK, you'll be glad to hear that I'm an a**hole. I rechecked and I had the dreaded noise reduction on full on my TV. I'd forgotten because I never usually go near it but the night before I'd been watching a horrible quality DVD-R and I was trying anything to make it watchable.

So it's a FALSE ALARM - MOONRAKER looks fine. I presume the same will go for THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH. I am both ashamed and relieved.

The up-side is that even with that function on, NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN looked great, so it must be a really good transfer!

Humblest apologies.

11. martymc80s

martymc80s Auditioning

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, (Anthony I know you've already mentioned this was a mistake on your TV in another post) but just to clarify, the Blu-Ray of Moonraker is a beautiful transfer, and well well worth it if you are a fan of this movie.

12. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Anybody actually I have the Best Buy boxset in hand? I'm interesting in hearing how Licence to Kill is, as it's one of my fav Bond pictures, and we won't have it here in the UK for a while.

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I just picked this up today, and we watched Licence to Kill tonight. The transfer looked wonderful, IMO. The DTS HD Master audio was quite good, except the center channel appeared a little muffled at times.

14. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Excellent news. Thanks for that Scott. [​IMG]

Hopefully DVDBeaver will have some screenshots up soon.

15. Osato

Osato Producer

16. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Cheers Tim, but the link doesn't work. I'll head over there 'manually'! [​IMG]

Both the Moonraker and The World Is Not Enough BDs look unbelievably good, not seen any screen shots online yet though.

17. Osato

Osato Producer

18. HighDefDiscNews

HighDefDiscNews Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the link! [​IMG]

19. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

So this is kind of confusing. Is there going to be a fourth box set in May then that contains TMWTGG and LTK?

I just bought the 3rd box set. And I was willing to wait till May for these 2 titles. But after reading the last few posts, I'm wavering! And the deal at Best Buy sunds pretty good, if they let me use the credit of having bought the third box towards this set.

20. Southpaw

Southpaw Supporting Actor

Nelson - it appears that the May box set will actually be the one that is exclusive at BB right now - TMwtGG, LtK and QoS. I don't see why they would put out a 2 movie box set but I guess it's possible.