MGM Press Release: Bull Durham (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

THE DOG DAYS OF SUMMER COME TO AN EARLY END WITH THE BLU-RAY DEBUT OF

BULL DURHAM

Baseball Favorite Starring Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon And Tim Robbins Slides Into Hi-Def August 3 From MGM Home Entertainment

[​IMG]

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (July 22, 2010) – Play Ball. Hailed by Sports Illustrated as “a damn good baseball movie” and ranked the #1 sports movie of all time*, Bull Durhamhits a new high when it debuts on Blu-ray August 3 from MGM Home Entertainment. Covering all bases with critics, men and women alike, the film about sports and sex from writer/director Ron Shelton (White Men Can’t Jump, Cobb) stars Oscar&reg winners Kevin Costner (Dances With Wolves, Mr. Brooks), Susan Sarandon (Enchanted, Dead Man Walking) and Tim Robbins (War of the Worlds, Mystic River).

Nominated for a 1988 Original Screenplay Academy Award&reg, Bull Durham is a “funny, sexy, literate love story” (Newsweek) about America’s other favorite pastime. The baseball season gets off to a rocky start when the Durham Bull’s new catcher “Crash’ Davis (Costner) punches out the cocky young pitcher, “nuke” LaLoosh (Robbins), he’s just been hired to train. Matters get even more complicated when sexy Annie Savoy (Sarandon) informs both men that each season she chooses one player to share her bed – and Nuke and Crash are this year’s ‘draft picks.’

“A grand slam!” (Rolling Stone), Bull Durham also tops Rotten Tomatoes list of Best Sports Movies and ranks fifth on Entertainment Weekly best sports film since 1983 in their “Sports 25: The Best Thrill-of-Victory, Agony-of-Defeat Films.”

The Blu-ray + DVD combo will be available for the low suggested retail price of $24.99 U.S.

Special Features: (Catalog # M122061)

• Blu-ray Disc

Bull Durham in High Definition

[*]
    DVD

• Audio Commentary from Director Ron Shelton

• Audio Commentary from Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins

• “The Greatest Show On Dirt” featurette - Twenty years later the cast, crew and fans remember Bull Durham

• “Diamonds In The Rough” featurette - Explores minor league baseball

• “Between The Lines: The Making Of Bull Durham” featurette

• Kevin Costner Profile

• Sports Wrap

# # #

BULL DUHRAM

Street Date:

August 3, 2010

Screen Format:

Widescreen

Audio:

English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English and French 2.0 Mono, Spanish Dolby Surround (BD)
    English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital (DVD)

Subtitles:

English, French, Spanish, Korean, Cantonese (BD)

U.S. Rating:

R

Total Run Time:

108 minutes

Closed Captioned:

Yes

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hmmm... Is this being released by Fox (on behalf of MGM) and following the footsteps of The Illusionist combo pack toward a new trend of barebones BD w/ all the extras on the DVD only (at least for catalog releases)?

I'll probably pick this up since I never double-dipped (since the original DVD release), but it's a tad disappointing to see all the extras left off the BD, if that's the case. Also, I surmise that this might mean just a BD25 (like The Illusionist). Hope the bitrate will not be too restrictive for a quality transfer of this -- and hopefully, the transfer itself is a good one.

_Man_

3. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I thought this was already out. Saw it on the shelf about a month ago. Store exclusive?? If the packaging is correct, it's MPEG-2 on a BD-25

4. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

All of the extras only on the DVD, just like Thomas Crown? That's a bit inconvenient.

5. WillG

WillG Producer

For my situation it works to my advantage since the PS3 I use does not upscale SD material on BD. Would be nice if they ported over the commentaries to the BD. But It's not a dealbreaker if I have to watch SD if listening to commentary.

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

MPEG2 on a BD25 release in this day and age??? Musta been a 3-yo store exclusive then.

What is up w/ MGM/Fox? This really sounds like bad news for this release then. I guess this must've been a holdover title from the earlier days of Blu that's finally seeing the light of day -- and they're just throwing in the DVD version (w/ the extras on it) to make the release palatable at all.

_Man_

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

I've owned this exact release for a month, now. Aug 3, my ass.