MGM Press Release: All-New MGM Movie Collection Multi-Features Available Just In Time for the Holida

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

MGM HOME ENTERTAINMENT DELIVERS INCREDIBLE VALUE WITH EXPANSIVE LINE OF MULTI-FEATURES

All-New MGM Movie Collection Multi-Features Available Just In Time for the Holiday Season

LOS ANGELES, CA (August 12, 2010) – MGM Home Entertainment today announced that it will be launching a bold new line of multi-features to reveal the MGM movie library as it has never been seen before. Beginning October 5th, fans can purchase blockbuster titles in packs of two, three, four, six and ten, offering hours of home entertainment at an affordable price.

MGM Movie Collection multi-features will be grouped into 18 genres, including action, comedy, romance, westerns, kids and sci-fi, along with classics, drama, thriller, mystery, horror, war, 80’s, sports, urban, family, musicals and the ever popular Midnite Movies. These clever groupings allow customers to purchase movies that are enjoyable together at a cost that is well below what would be paid if they bought each title separately.

“We are committed to delivering the classic and contemporary movies fans cherish at an incredible value,” said Eric Doctorow, General Manager, MGM Worldwide at Fox. “MGM Movie Collection multi-features unleash the renowned MGM movie library and make it easier for customers to access the titles they love at an affordable price.”

Featuring an assortment of award-nominated films, the new multi-features include Academy Award&reg nominated sports classics such as Hoosiers (1986) starring Gene Hackman and Bull Durham (1988) with Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins. Other featured titles being released include comedy hits such as Overboard (1987) starring Goldie Hawn; sci-fi hits such as the Academy Award&reg nominated film War Games (1983), along with Hackers (1995) starring Angelina Jolie; 80’s hits such asWeekend at Bernie’s (1989) and Valley Girl (1983) starring Nicolas Cage; and action films such as Ronin (1998) starring Robert De Niro and Walking Tall (2004) starring The Rock. In addition, this innovative new packaging strategy provides deeper accessibility into the renowned MGM library, enabling MGM to reintroduce hard-to-find movie gems into mass retail accounts.

Showcasing a fresh, bold design in eye-catching colors, the all-new multi-features offer one to five discs in a single amaray footprint, with two movies on one flipper disc when possible. In addition, the launch of the MGM Movie Collection multi-features will include a refreshed MGM Kid’s logo.

MGM will release 68 new multi-features in Q4, with suggested retail pricing as follows:

• Double Feature at a suggested retail price of $14.98 U.S./$15.98 Canada
    • Triple Feature at a suggested retail price of $19.98 U.S./$21.98 Canada
    • Quad at a suggested retail price of $22.98 U.S./$26.98 Canada
    • 6-Pack at a suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S./$37.98 Canada
    • 10-Pack at a suggested retail price of $34.98 U.S./$39.98 Canada
    •  

2. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Is this just more of MGM repackaging titles which have already been available? Does "enabling MGM to reintroduce hard-to-find movie gems into mass retail accounts" just mean they're pushing titles already on the market? I don't see any titles mentioned here tha already have been out on DVD.

It's good to see the Midnite Movies mentioned here in a favorable light, but does that mean we'll get some new ones after three years of nothing?

3. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    Same old stuff . BS .

4. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

Seems to me it's going to be mutli-title discs of the same old stuff. Be interesting how they'll group the Midnight Movies together.

5. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    I wouldn't even expect new transfers, just the same old discs with a new paper sleeve.

6. Camps

Camps Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    Far be it from me to tell studios how to run their business... but it looks like the same ol' same-ol'. One of these days I'd like to see the majors try to dip into their vaults for something they haven't already released (in some cases 3 dozen times...)

7. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Just in time for the holidays??? MGM, you might as well take 100s of DVDs I bought from your company, when you actually released unreleased catalog titles, wrap them together, and give them back to me as a Christmas present! Once again, thanks for nothing!

8. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Really, who are they think their audience is?

9. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott

Well, these kind of packages just scream Walmart, Target, etc., so I presume the Walmart crowd is their audience. Not that it does us a lick of good.

10. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

If the Midnite movies are "ever popular" than why hasn't there been any new ones since Fall of 2007?

11. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    GIve MGM a break, the company is a financal mess, we are lucky they are releasing anything at all. This could be great for the bottom line, many people (walmart) can buy these films - not everyone is a film buff and most people probably don't own these titles, so if it increases sales and helps save the company - that would be great

12. Camps

Camps Stunt Coordinator

Tom

They're in financial trouble so they should ignore their enthusiasts. Flawless logic.

Listen, I'm the first to appreciate what MGM has released so far on DVD. They've been great. But leaving the vault untapped is hardly a strategy for staving off bankruptcy.

13. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    I still would like new to dvd titles .

14. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    MGM has a number of films that have gone OOP that I still would like to get: Brannigan, The Four Feathers, The Raven, Comedy of Terrors, etc. As for the midnight movies, is there really anything new left to release. I figure if you are releasing Alien from L.A. and The Man with Two Heads you must have hit the bottom of the barrel.

What I really would like to see in terms of new to DVD would be James Garner's Marlowe. Does MGM own that? (Marlowe, Grand Prix and Support Your Local Sherriff were produced by Cherokee Productions but Grand Prix is on Warner and Support Yoiur Local Sherriff is on MGM). MGM: release a four pack of Marlowe, Support Your Local Sherriff, Support Your Local Gunfighter, and Brannigan and you will make my day.

15. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

As far as Midnite Movies are concerned, there are plenty of unreleased possibilities including MASTER OF THE WORLD, BURN WITCH BURN, BLAST-OFF, DR GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS, BLACK SABBATH (aip cut), THE CRIMSON CULT, HORROR HOUSE, THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED, OCTA-MAN, DIARY OF A MADMAN, FUTUREWORLD, BLOOD BATH, QUEEN OF BLOOD, BLOOD AND LACE, DAUGHTERS OF SATAN, PACIFIC VIBRATIONS, DEVILS ANGELS, ANGELS FROM HELL, RIOT ON SUNSET STRIP, SEARGENT DEADHEAD, SUGAR HILL, THE VIDEO DEAD, TERROVISION, THE BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW, CRUCIBLE OF HORROR, CAULDRON OF BLOOD, THE HARD RIDE, OLD DRACULA, THE BLACK SLEEP, CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN, BEAST OF THE HOLLOW MOUNTAIN, etc, etc, etc.

16. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

I shop at wal mart. I also like classic movies. I believe that MGM going the dvd r method for classics is the best way. We are beyond the target audience for these films. I guess I am old at 43.

17. Camps

Camps Stunt Coordinator

Tom

Pharaoh's Curse ('57), The Minotaur ('61), Dr Blood's Coffin ('61), Macumba Love ('61), The Lost Missile ('58), The Flame Barrier ('57), The Snake Woman ('61), The Flight that Disappeared ('61)...

.... And this doesn't even include the many untapped '50s/'60s crime/noir/cold war titles...

Maybe MGM could check with its brethren at Warners to see how the WB Archives program is doing(?) If it's been profitable for WB (hopefully), why not try it where the lion roars...?

18. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Oh yeah! And also THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT/CREEPING UNKNOWN, THE NEANDERTHAL MAN, BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER, and THE TIME TRAVELERS

19. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen

They are trying it out right now at Amazon called the MGM Limited Edition Collection. It has been very spotty with success. Some titles are great such as White Buffalo, but most are letterboxed non-anamorphic such as Cold Turkey and The Best Man, or pan-scan such as Fitzwilly. They need to follow Warner's approach and try to at least present the film in the correct aspect ratio and anamorphic.  

20. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis

Crucible of Horror ( the 1971 British film) will be landing a release this Fall through Severin Films.