What's new

MGM Press Release: 007 on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Count me in as well thinking the covert art for these is downright HIDEOUS!!!! I mean bad. :frowning:....guess it really doesn't matter but is it just too difficult to give us the original cover art? I mean the first issue dvds had it.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Do you remember anything about this deal? I remember at the time that the Broccooli family didn't want Pathe getting the Bond films. It ultimately led to this lawsuit. I read the case but I still don't know why Broccoli was against Pathe buying the MGM/UA library? Does anyone remember the reason?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I wouldn't mind garbage like that if they made the covers reversible with the original poster art. Charge me an extra 25 cents if you have to.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Wow. I totally agree. What is wrong with using the original poster art for the covers? The poster art for the films is far superior to the hideous looking cover photos that they have chosen.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Has it been confimred whether or not these releases will carry over all of the extra material from the Ultimate Editions?

I held off on those (and I'm glad I did), but I'll be very disappointed if these Blu-Rays skimp on the features.

I can't see what the logic in that would be, but who knows.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Good news about the box sets. It ain´t "all Bond-titles in one" like with the SD DVD, but at least something...

John H Ross

Screenwriter

This would be a deal-breaker for me.

It's a deal-breaker for the whole format really because player-generated captions REALLY p*ss me off!

It concerns me GREATLY that we're moving TOWARDS using more player-generated captions. I thought we were getting away from all that crap (apart from, invariably, with Sony).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Blu-ray should have the ability to generate beautiful, cinematic looking muti-language sub streams. But like everything else associated with Bd, the capability has little to do with actual practice. The subs on the Professionals are not only not supposed to be there, they made them large and hideously sd video generated looking as well.
The cover art is indeed hideous, but that is the least of my concerns with these releases- and the one that is easiest for me to correct on my own.
If these releases are up to snuff (which is a huge "if" ) then I'll be in for FYEO and Thunderball. These should be around $22 each during various fall sales.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Box set "Vol.1" now pre-ordered.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Yeah. I'm SO on the fence with this format. There's a company in this country now offering a fully multi-region (for BD) Panasonic BD-50 and I got my eye on a stonking 32" Panasonic LCD display (Panasonic Viera TX-32LZD85)

But...

There are so many BD discs that drop the ball in terms of carrying extras over from the DVDs and I'm really not sure I have the room to store TWO copies of every movie (I'm now hearing the isolated score has been dropped from Starship Troopers and Rudy and, of course, it's missing from The Mummy...)

PLUS with all this talk of grain removal.

PLUS the (apparently) increased use of player-generated captions which alter the movie from its original theatrical presentation.

PLUS I really don't like the idea of HAVING to change audio settings from stupid pop-up menus once the movie has actually started (at least one some movies) because there ain't no proper disc menu. Ridiculous!! Since when was THAT "accurately reproducing the theatrical experience?!

PLUS I'm really quite scared that this new equipment will make my 3000 strong DVD collection look a bit crap despite having the Denon 2930's Reon upconverter (not to mention all my VHS and laserdiscs) - assuming my 2930 holds out of course!

These Bonds will be a bit of a test I think. MGM has dropped the ball with them so many times in the past and some of those UEs REALLY aren't up to scratch (Goldeneye, I'm looking at YOU!!) If they get THESE versions right I might be tempted to jump.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator

Dont think they did!

The 1997/98 releases which were canned IIRC after The Spy Who Loved Me certainly didnt use the original film artwork.

I dont think any Bond DVDs have used these - they all went for generic bland imagery which the BDs have continued.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

You make it sound like the format itself is responsible for the practices of the issuing studios. It is unsaid, but you make it sound like these studio practices would have been non-existent if HD DVD had won the day.

If that is what you're implying then you're wrong. The same problems would have cropped up on HD DVD, because the practices that cause the problems start with the studio, not the format.

It is too bad that the studios have chosen not to take advantage of the capabilities of BD, but put the blame where it belongs: the studios.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

That's not what I took him to mean at all. His comments clearly indicate that the capability of the BD format itself is sound, it's the implementation that's in question. And I would agree with that.

The only area where the "format" is lacking, IMHO, is the disc loading times. Can't blame the studios for THAT.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i had to scratch my head on that one.

you prefer the old way of being forced to go out of the movie to get to the
menus so you can change settings?

you can pause the film and still bring up the menu.

or you can do what mostly everyone else does and just press the "audio" button on the remote to toggle the different tracks.

i guess i'm not sure what your complaint is on that point.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator

The complaint quite reasonably is that you should be able to start the film from the menu after you have adjusted the settings, as opposed to having to pause the film, make the adjustments via the pop up, and then restart the film.

Given that films still tend to have the lossy audio formats as their default as opposed to the lossless, this is a pain in the arse to have to pause and adjust.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Some of you guys are kicking and screaming about NOT getting into Blu-ray for whatever reason. Thats fine. I myself like it when a movie starts. No 2 minutes of menu animation (also happens on DVDs), no forced trailers (Oh, another, that also happens on DVD), audio that may default to the lowest option (guess what, DVDs can do the same thing!), titles that are player generated (hey, i have a few DVDs that do that too!)
Yep, lots of good reasons not to get into DVD...i mean Blu-ray. I wont say i remember some of you as Blu haters last year, but i do! So, why do you guys read the HD software section again?

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
But thats no need to not be aware and critical of the shortcomings imposed upon us by either the studios or the technology manufacturers.

For example my biggest bugbear with BD is the lack of a resume function for BD-J discs. With more and more of these being released it seems positively insane not to enable a working resume function at least on the PS3 which could write something to the hard disc to tell the laser where to resume play.

Much as I adore HD it does seem that the overall usability of the experience has regressed from the days of DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks