What's new

MGM: Please Release SEs of TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPIRE CIRCUS! (1 Viewer)

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Not only are VAMPIRE CIRCUS, TWINS OF EVIL and VAMPIRE CIRCUS constantly playing on MonstersHD with their new MGM hi-definition masters, but so are a lot of other MGM properties not on DVD, including THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN (looks fabulous, better than any other foreign DVD or VHS tape out there), MONSTER DOG, THE CREEPING UNKNOWN, BURN WITCH BURN!, BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW & WITHOUT WARNING ('80). Seriously, I hope some or all of these are slated for DVD release next year.

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I know this probably doesn't have any bearing on the situation, but VAMPIRE CIRCUS has just recently been added to MGM's website database with a synopsis and a (hopeless) promise for "artwork coming soon." Same goes for HANDS OF THE RIPPER (not TWINS OF EVIL though) and a bunch of other older horror and sci-fi flicks not yet available on DVD yet. I know it probably means nothing, but I'm hanging onto any prayer that this studio might again release anything older and cultish on DVD, that is anything older and cultish which doesn't have a "remake" to coincide with it.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm not the most optimistic guy in the world, but I have to believe these films will make it to DVD in the next year or two. After all, they're playing on MonstersHD and in new, enhanced prints.

AlanBrom

Second Unit

I truly hope this is the case, especially with the current crop of great-looking MGM stuff they're airing that's not on DVD. It certainly has happened in the past with THE BURNING and FROM BEYOND. I was told that these HD transfers were done by request of MonstersHD, and that it doesn't have anything to do with the decision of the home video dept to release them. But hopefully the avaibility of good transfers and an overwhelming amount of requests will prompt their decision making. Keep those email requests a comin'!

AlanBrom

Second Unit
It's funny that VAMPIRE CIRCUS was only added to the MGM website on Dec. 3, not long after this post. Maybe they do listen or they had it in the works all along. It still says ARTWORK COMING SOON and lists a PG rating: obviously wrong since their transfer relfects the uncut British version. Maybe 2009 MGM comes back? Let's hope.

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny too that DRACULA VS FRANKENSTEIN has also been added to the MGM online database thingy, but it's only showing up on Monsters HD.

Is there any chance that we'll ever get a chat on here with reps from MGM again? I'd love to know if they really have anything cooking for next year.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Where is the link for MGM new release schedule ?? Is "Burn Witch Burn" on it ?

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator

The MGM website (MGM.com : Official website of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. - Ars Gratia Artis) lists BURN WITCH BURN and a handful of other horror and sci-fi titles not available from them on DVD, mixed in with titles that are out on DVD. Some of these say "artwork coming soon", but it doesn't necessarily mean that these are coming out on DVD any time soon. Some of the other non-released titles include HANDS OF THE RIPPER, VAMPIRE CIRCUS, MASTER OF THE WORLD, BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW, THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT, MONSTER DOG, DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN and THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
There were rumors about a year ago that Alice Cooper was working to get MONSTER DOG a release. The source wasn't very strong but who knows. THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN was rumored to have been ready for release a copy years ago but didn't make it for some reason.

BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW was released through ABUK, who MGM is now working with on their upcoming LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT disc.

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator

MELTING MAN and MONSTER DOG both have been showing up on Monsters HD, both with new MGM transfers. I caught the entire MELTING MAN at a friend's house, and it looks terrific, so it's just crying for a superior region 1 release. I haven't seen MONSTER DOG, but I'm a big Alice Cooper fan, so I've been wanting to catch it. I would buy a DVD of it sight unseen.

You'd think BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW would have gotten an MGM DVD release years ago; any remake in sight?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I wish MGM would go all out and let Alice dub his voice on MONSTER DOG but I'm sure that would take too much money. I believe a "fake" but complete music video was made as well so they could include this and I'm sure Alice wouldn't mind doing a commentary. It just depends on how much MGM wants to spend on it and I'm going to guess not much since the movie is mainly going to Alice fans.

THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN is available through Netflix as well in a new transfer. You can only watch it online but it still looked great when I watched it a few months ago.

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
MGM really needs to get releasing this stuff again. I haven't purchased an MGM DVD title since the beginning of this year. I would love to see Incredible melting Man and their Hammer films, and basically any piece of a.i.p. schlock that needs to be released I would buy.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I also found GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE, DAUGHTERS OF SATAN and OCTA-MAN in the MGM website. As George said, it may not effect a home video decision, but they are there.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I saw TWINS OF EVIL on Monsters HD recently - God, it looked gorgeous!! I really wish MGM would make htis pristine copy available on DVD!

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
Now I am hearing that Monsters hd is going to be no more. Would MGM really go through all the trouble to do new beautiful transfers for Twins of Evil (I wish I could have seen the transfer that Joe mentioned) and all those other titles not to release them on dvd? I hope not. :frowning: I wish I has Monstershd while it lasted, but now Twins of Evil, Vampire circus, Hands of the Ripper, and all the other titles really have to come out on dvd!

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Read this on a blog:

"Cablevision has decided to shut down its Voom lineup of high definition television stations.

But while the news may be sad for fans of channels like Monsters HD, Kung Fu HD and Paper Mache HD (fine, we made that one up), shuttering the division will put another troop of locals out of work.

Cablevision did say it plans to replace the channels in late January, when it turns off the Voom stations."

So now MGM/Fox DVD will really be the only way to see some of these films if and when they decide to release them.

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
I just read on the Midnite Movies Forum that MGM might have at least a couple of worthy horror titles in the works for this year so this might be the start of some more good things to come.

KarloffLives

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate Yapp
I've given up hoping for anything from any of the major studios in terms of catalog horror. With Best Buy and other outlets scaling back the number of titles they're carrying (but apparently not the shelf space itself), we're more likely to have a bunch of these much-desired titles shoved onto a single Blu-ray in standard-def three or four years down the line.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Every time this thread gets bumped, I always misread the title of it as "MGM Press Release: SE's of ....."

Either I need my eyes examined or "Please" looks too much like "Press", or it's just wishful thinking causing the same thing to happen to me every time this thread gets resuscitated. Stop it!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks