What's new

MGM now owns THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE (1946) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

This MGM dvd is indeed the 1946 version. I just finished the dvd and thought the dvd presentation was very good. From memory, it appears to be some improvement in comparison to the prior Anchor Bay dvd release. Later on today, I'll try to do a "A" versus "B' comparison. Anyhow, if you've been waiting to buy this film on dvd then go ahead and buy this MGM dvd. There is no trailer of the film on this dvd except a trailer of "Secret Window" which is strange in itself.

Crawdaddy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I read elsewhere (Criterion Forum?) that the MGM transfer was inferior to the Anchor Bay (and the ever-so-slightly inferior UK edition from Prism) and seems to have been DVNR'd from a different 35mm element.

Any thoughts, Crawdaddy?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I have the two dvds on my desk, but I got involved in some other projects this weekend so I wasn't able to do any comparisons. I'll try to look at them tomorrow, but I'm not promising anything.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Okay, I just spent an hour comparing the two dvds which was the first time I watched the Anchor Bay dvd since it's release back in the summer of 2000. I didn't see nor heard any real differences between the two dvds except the Anchor Bay has the original RKO production opening while the MGM dvd has replaced it with a MGM opening. Also, the Anchor Bay dvd has the original trailer which the MGM dvd doesn't have.

If you already own the AB dvd then I wouldn't buy the MGM dvd, however for those that don't have it and you like this film then I would buy the MGM dvd.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks