MGM = COWARDS!!! (Red Dawn villians morph from Chinese to Korean!!)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by richAnd, Mar 16, 2011.

1. richAnd

richAnd Auditioning

Yes, lets spare the rotten dictatorship any hurt feelings. Poor America, how we miss you!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/mgm-changing-red-dawn-villains-so-as-not-to-offend-chinese-box-office

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think the thread title should read "MGM= Wants as much money as possible just like every other company".

3. Pete York

Pete York Supporting Actor

And I think 'Hollywood' now officially makes more money from the overseas take than from domestic b.o. so, yeah, that's what this is about. Hey, you'll always have the original.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Way to rob the film of any relevancy what so ever. It's not like China's going to let a film about a successful, youth driven insurgency into its theaters anyway.

North Korea simply doesn't have the resources, technology, or manpower to invade another country. Even if the United States had no military whatsoever, North Korea couldn't get significant troop levels here to mount a successful invasion.

China made sense because it has taken over from the USSR as America's new bogeyman. And the controversy around the film would have generated some badly needed buzz. With North Korea, they might as well make it direct-to-video.

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I would be upset by this if I thought this movie would be any good. I mean, the 80's one was just fine, I don't see this film bringing anything new to the table.

The cynical jerk in me thinks that the only way this remake would be interesting is if it showed just how useless and ill equipped this generation of kids today would be handling an emergency. There's no way they're going to make that movie.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

Well, neither could China, so it doesn't really matter. Either way, it's silly. (Heck, it was silly in 1984, but it was still a really fun movie!)

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

China's a rising military power with the world's largest standing army. They're certainly not as credible a threat as the USSR was, but they play into current American paranoia and are many magnitudes more credible than North Korea.

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Many magnitudes more than zero is still zero. :)

China has a huge army but no way to transport them anywhere overseas.

At any rate, either way it has no connection to reality. Considering MGM's financial situation, I can understand why they'd want to not alienate the Chinese market.

9. WadeLil

WadeLil Stunt Coordinator

I guess they (MGM) dont want to piss off americas bank lol........I wish i was joking.

10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    In the original film Cuba and Nicaragua were allied with the USSR. Sounds like China was going to be acting solo in the remake?

And I can't TELL you how many times I've been confused for a North Korean. :D

11. AlexF

AlexF Supporting Actor

Alex

Soon people will think that you're leading an invasion of the US... a CGI and audio redone invasion!

Personally, I'm getting a little sick of all of these remakes. So few of them have been worthwhile. I question why some of them are being remade... this one included.