What's new

MGM = COWARDS!!! (Red Dawn villians morph from Chinese to Korean!!) (1 Viewer)

richAnd

Auditioning
Real Name
richard anderson
Yes, lets spare the rotten dictatorship any hurt feelings. Poor America, how we miss you!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/mgm-changing-red-dawn-villains-so-as-not-to-offend-chinese-box-office

Pete York

Supporting Actor
And I think 'Hollywood' now officially makes more money from the overseas take than from domestic b.o. so, yeah, that's what this is about. Hey, you'll always have the original.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Way to rob the film of any relevancy what so ever. It's not like China's going to let a film about a successful, youth driven insurgency into its theaters anyway.

North Korea simply doesn't have the resources, technology, or manpower to invade another country. Even if the United States had no military whatsoever, North Korea couldn't get significant troop levels here to mount a successful invasion.

China made sense because it has taken over from the USSR as America's new bogeyman. And the controversy around the film would have generated some badly needed buzz. With North Korea, they might as well make it direct-to-video.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I would be upset by this if I thought this movie would be any good. I mean, the 80's one was just fine, I don't see this film bringing anything new to the table.

The cynical jerk in me thinks that the only way this remake would be interesting is if it showed just how useless and ill equipped this generation of kids today would be handling an emergency. There's no way they're going to make that movie.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Even if the United States had no military whatsoever, North Korea couldn't get significant troop levels here to mount a successful invasion.

Well, neither could China, so it doesn't really matter. Either way, it's silly. (Heck, it was silly in 1984, but it was still a really fun movie!)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Well, neither could China, so it doesn't really matter.

China's a rising military power with the world's largest standing army. They're certainly not as credible a threat as the USSR was, but they play into current American paranoia and are many magnitudes more credible than North Korea.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Many magnitudes more than zero is still zero. :)

China has a huge army but no way to transport them anywhere overseas.

At any rate, either way it has no connection to reality. Considering MGM's financial situation, I can understand why they'd want to not alienate the Chinese market.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In the original film Cuba and Nicaragua were allied with the USSR. Sounds like China was going to be acting solo in the remake?

And I can't TELL you how many times I've been confused for a North Korean. :D

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

And I can't TELL you how many times I've been confused for a North Korean. :D

Soon people will think that you're leading an invasion of the US... a CGI and audio redone invasion!

Personally, I'm getting a little sick of all of these remakes. So few of them have been worthwhile. I question why some of them are being remade... this one included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks