What's new

MGM Catalog releases - 5/12/09 (Western, War) (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
DVD Empire has the following titles up for pre-order for 5/12/09 at $14.98 retail price:

King And Four Queens, The
Doc
Time Limit
North West Frontier
Young Billy Young

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Finally! I've been waiting for The King And Four Queens for years! And it's great to see North West Frontier rescued from pan and scan public domain Hell (using the U.S. title Flame Over India).

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Yay! North West Frontier, any fan of adventure films shouldn't be without it. I'll be able to replace my non-anamorphic Australian version.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well this is exciting news. I did not think we would get any westerns or war in May. Not bad choices. Maybe Fox will add a few titles to the May 12th date. Hopefully MGM will give us some Horror in the fall.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm ..... since the themes of the releases seem to be war and westerns, looking at the art work it seems that they're trying to disguise Northwest Frontier as a western (the title sounds like a western) and you'd never guess from the cover that it takes place in India. Of course, there is a revolution going on so maybe it's considered a war film.

The jacket of King And Four Queens is puzzling. Which one is Eleanor Parker? I can recognize Sara Shane, Jean Willes but neither of the blondes look like either Parker or Barbara Nichols.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
What ghastly cover art.

It looks as if someone's gave their in-law the job.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

I'm told there is a very nice looking anamorphic DVD on R2, the trouble is it's part of a Kenneth More box set, you can't buy it on it's own.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Is that the French version? I believe the version I have is the same as the U.K. version, unless it was reissued in an anamorphic version.

At any rate, I'm really looking forward to the R1.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Great news and I'm especially looking forward to TIME LIMIT!

What the hell happened to Bob Mitchum's face on the cover of Young Billy Young... ack!!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
No cover art for Frank Perry's Doc yet? I'm quite an admirer of Perry's work and of Pete Hamill's journalism, but I find this western perturbing. On one hand it is a superior character drama and perhaps a superior western, Perry style, and shot by the great Gerald Hirshfeld. On the other hand, it is not just historically wrong, it is biographically offensive. The very mention of this film makes Wyatt Earp's mild-mannered descendants (he does have descendants) turn red and reach for their six-guns.

Hamill offers no explanation in his paperback as to how he arrived at this idea of Wyatt and Doc.

Frank Perry's best films remain unreleased on DVD, unfortunately.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

The single disc (non-anamorphic) is from Carlton. The Box Set is from ITV, I've yet to buy it (not interested in any of the other films in the set), but have been told on a couple of sites that it's a very nice anamorphic transfer. The box is now quite expensive, except from Amazon, where it's £18.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Terrible... the one title I was most anticipating of this series and if the aspect ratio is compromised, I'll pass!

PQ sounds like it belongs in the Warner Archives!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Was the inclusion of Doc in the initial post a mistake, or did MGM change it's mind? I don't see the film listed for sale anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks