What's new

MGM: Breakin' and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, please! (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
To the MGM representative(s) on here:
In the early 80s, the breakdancing craze was at its peak. From coast-to-coast, people were popping, shocking and locking. Rap was ready to explode. To capitalize on it, Cannon Films released 2 movies:
BREAKIN'
&
BREAKIN' 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
These movies, though critically panned upon release, have grown throughout the years to become cult classics of the first order. With an 80s-nostalgia craze just beginning, I feel the time is nigh for you at MGM Home Entertainment to release these films in a Special Edition 2-Pack. When these movies were taken off the market, their collectibility value rose dramatically. People are literally paying upwards of 100 dollars to get their hands on used VHS copies of these films. It's time to restore them and get digital.
Ideas for possible extras:
-Commentary from Adolfo "Shabba-Doo" Quinones, Michael "Boogaloo Shrimp" Chambers, Lucinda Dickey and each movie's director
-A documentary on the history of breakdancing
-Deleted scenes
-Music videos
-The original theatrical trailers
-TV spots
-The K-Tel "How-to Breakdance" video
-Retrospective interviews
-In OAR with remastered sound
So, who's up for it?
Sincerely,
John Kilduff
------------------
"Who makes it happen?"
"I make it happen"-
Sigourney Weaver and Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl"

Esten

Supporting Actor
Pure cheese!
Bring 'em on MGM,i'll buy them.
biggrin.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I actually saw Breakin' 2 at the theater.
blush.gif
I'd probably check it out if it were available. Preferably as a Fox-style double feature.

Chris Kr

Agent
Let's have these movies!!! I'd buy them in a second!! Too bad it's an MGM title because we know that they will be crappy. Maybe you can change your reputation with a decent showing on these MGM.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've got "Breakin" on CED videodisc! A DVD with this and Breakin' 2 would be great; I also need "Beat Street" since I can't find that on CED :)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Breakin' was a MUCH superior movie to Breakin' 2, but a 2-Pack could work. The most incredible scene to me is when Boogaloo Shrimp is cleaning up outside the store with the broom. That moment is transcendent to me. Absolutely incredible break dancing. I remember Roger Ebert reviewing the first movie and not giving it the credit it deserves for the type of movie it is. He was really waiting on Beat Street, which came out later. When Beat Street finally came out, he said in that review that it made him appreciate Breakin' more. Now Beat Street is an OK movie in its own way (darker), but for pure Break Dancing fun, Breakin' is it.
You may get the movie (there may be music rights issues), but I doubt it'd be a SE treament. MGM rarely does it, and I don't think this would sell enough. There are music videos that could go with it as well. Ah well...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You need Breakin' 2 just because it's the genesis of the WHATEVER 2: Electric Boogaloo joke
wink.gif

Oh, and Jean-Claude Van Damme commentary! You can see him in the background in Spandex bustin a move (badly) :)
Jeff Kleist

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Update: Breakin' and Breakin'2 along with Beat Street are available in Region 2 U.K. Unfortunately they're fullscreen, but here's hoping they're bound for the States from MGM.
09.jpg

Come'on MGM, how about it.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Sign me up for these guilty pleasures on DVD.

And if I recall correctly, Ebert gave a very positive review to Breakin 2. 3 stars, if I recall correctly. I believe he praised it's wholesome silliness.

DeVario

Agent
Two classics from my childhood! I'd love to see these pop up on DVD. Most likely MGM will put them out as a Double Feature disc.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
And if I recall correctly, Ebert gave a very positive review to Breakin 2. 3 stars, if I recall correctly. I believe he praised it's wholesome silliness.
Ebert was a little disappointed in Breakin' but by the time he reviewed Beat Street, he'd modified his opinion. I don't think he ever went back and updated the Breakin' review, but he said in the Beat Street review that he now appreciated Breakin' more than he originally did.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
All the quickie, crazy Cannon music-themed films should be put out on double-feature DVD's! You could do:

BREAKIN/BREAKIN 2

SALSA/LAMBADA

only what to pair up Mario Van Peebles in RAPPIN' with?

BEAT STREET I think is good enough to merit a DVD all by itself.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I don't own any double-feature DVD's. Do they put two DVD's in one package? I think Breakin' deserves its own RSDL disc to do justice to the soundtrack and video.

My favorite dancing of all time on video is Mikhail Barysnikov (sp?) (and Gregory Hines) in White Nights, but Boogaloo Shrimp with the broom outside the store ranks up there.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Doesn't Warner own the rights to pre 1986 Orion titles? I believe both are.:frowning:

DeVario

Agent

Both Breakin' films are Cannon releases.

EDIT: MGM owns the Orion library except for the Orion titles that were released through Warner. Those ones Warner does own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks