What's new

MGM: a 'LIFEFORCE' SE... (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
This needs to be redone as a Collectors Edition for several reasons:
There are 2 (or more) versions. Though it was cool to have the longer 'International Cut' I find myself liking the shorter version also-it seems less hysterical, and it has
a more ominous mood, with added music by Michael Kamen and James Guthrie;
A Seamless Branching disc could accomodate both versions.
The transfer needs to be redone ANAMORPHIC.
There is an entertaining 30 min short THE MAKING OF LIFEFORCE that could be added. plus:
outtakes
photos
commetary by Tobe Hooper, et al
I suspect that if he were allowed to do a true Directors Cut, this film might not be half bad, as it was Golum-Globus that essentially called the shots on the way it originally came out....they in effect 'pulled the plug' and cut it their way when it went over budget...
Ive heard of a longer 3rd version of the film- Hoopers original cut?
This film, from a story by Colin WIlson had great potential...it just came out, probably at the behest of the producers, as just a little over the top....
though im sure Hooper shares part of the blame.
------------------
[Edited last by Mark_TS on July 23, 2001 at 06:04 PM]

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like both versions to be released as well. I've never seen the whole thing of the lnoger version yet since i wasn't feeling good when i rented it.
I to prefered the shorter version since it seemed to move faster & was just out there incoherent fun. While from what i saw in the longer cut,it slowed everything down & actually made alittle more sense,but seemed to lack the punch of the shorter version.
I'll have to see thewhole thing sometime & who knows maybe i'll like it more?
Also wasn't there a title card before the credits mentioning about the space mission whcih i thought added to the film as well? I could've sworn there was when i saw it on Cinemax,yet on the longer version theres a voice over. Also liked the score in the short version as well & thought the non-stop orchestra score in the longer cut was alittle annoying.
Just my opinions & it would be great if you did release a S.E. with both versions.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
I am partial to the longer version of LIFEFORCE and would really love to have a 16:9 enhanced DVD. Besides, does Mathilda May deserve anything less?
------------------
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
DVD reviews, news and more...
www.thecinemalaser.com

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
ah...yes, the nude space girl....any way, I have a Japanese LD in 2.35 WS of the short version and there is a title card before the credits. (also the subs in Kanji are on the *side* of the frame! This was one of the first WS LDs out in Japan from 1982...
I once read in WSReview of a third version, but know nothing more...
------------------

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Mathilda May in anamorphic? Count me in!
biggrin.gif

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
This movie is one of my guilty pleasures and I'd probably re-purchase if some nice extras and anamorphic widescreen video were added. :)

GregK

Screenwriter
I own the Lifeforce DVD (Longer International Cut), but
don't remember the shorter version well enough to know
where the trims were. Can anyone help me out?
Btw: Put me down for a Lifeforce SE!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks