What's new

Metallica's Black album (1 Viewer)

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if any of you guys have purchased the Metallica DVD-A yet. If so how is it?

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
AWESOME! ABSOLUTELY ROCKS! BUY IT!
Excellent surround mix with some
great sub action ... Paul ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have it, and it is awesome. Much better than the CD. Note that I am not talking about playback of the Dolby Digital track on a DVD-Video player. I am talking about the DVD-Audio track played back on my Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player. I prefer the stereo track, though the surround-sound track is good too. Get this disc!

TheoGB

Screenwriter
What's the DVD-V track like then? I don't own the album and I'd consider getting it in this form but I don't and won't have a DVD-A player for a very long time.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The DVD-V track is like the DVD-A surround track with compression. Seriously, that's all it is. It's an interesting surround mix of the album. Its sound quality is comparable to most DVD-video music titles you have heard in 5.1. If you are a huge fan of the album and curious to hear a new surround mix, go ahead and buy it, but you will probably want to upgrade your hardware some day to really hear what you are paying for.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brian asked:

You've probably gone over this before, but how do you manage your bass with DVD-A?
I don't. I have not purchased an ICBM. So, I run cables from the 5.1-channel outputs on my 'A10 directly into my Sony STR-V444ES receiver. I have not had problems with this set-up, and I don't have full-size speakers in my HT set-up. It works well for me.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The Black Album is one of the two DVD-A discs i have. the other is STP's Core, which is also fantastic. i just recently got a DTS CD of Handel's Messiah also. i might have to go out and get Hotel California as well...

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I wish they would release their truly great albums on dvd-a. I understand the logic, because clearly the black album is their most popular but could you imagine how good Puppets, Lightning, and Justice would sound? Some day I hope to find out!:D

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
It probably will never happen but even a DCC Gold remastered CD of Justice would be an instant purchase for me. The current CD stinks in the sonic quality dept.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
"and no bass for all"

Yeah, I have the gold Ride the Lightning and it is a big improvement. Before I would hear a lot of hiss when I would really crank the beginning of Fade to Black, now it's pretty clear.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Don't blame the CD for the sonic quality of the "Justice" album. Metallica produced the album themselves and, like Primus and many other rock bands, the result was less than stellar.

The problem lies with the original production.

However, I supposed it might be possible to get a better sound.

If I had my way, Metallica would go back in the studio and re-record the album, note for note, and have someone produce it the right way. I've never heard a more extreme case of amazing music presented so poorly.

The Black Album's excellent production was one of the reasons it became such a huge cross-over success.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Mike Broadman,

That's very interesting. Do you know any websites or other resources that support these claims? (I'm not saying I don't believe you, just that I'm now more interested in knowing the full story.)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Greg,

Watch the Classic Album Series DVD on the Black Album and you will know all you want to know about the production differences between ...Justice... and The Black Album. It's a pretty interesting documentary.

They could probably fix most of what is wrong with ..Justice.. with a remix. I would hesitate to suggest they re-record anything.

Regards,

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've heard mentioned that the bass guitar on Justice was buried in the mix since it was Jason Newstead's first album. Rookie thing. Don't know about that, but I have no doubt that he had no say in the mix.

I think that Lars' double bass sound has usually relied on the upper frequencies of the beater hitting the skin for articulation, but Bob Rock certainly brought out the deeper parts nicely on the Black Album.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Greg, I remember Metallica talking about this stuff in an interview. I'm sorry I don't have any references off hand.

I didn't even realise there was a Classic Album DVD for the Black album. I'll have to pick that one up. I love the other two that I have.

As for what can be done with a re-mix, I was just guessing. I certainly am not qualified to make that kind of a judgement. If they re-release it and make it sound right, I'd be thrilled.

The drums is one of the most annoying things on Justice. Lars is such powerful, dominating drummer. But it sounds like he's hitting paper on that album. Argh.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I've heard mentioned that the bass guitar on Justice was buried in the mix since it was Jason Newstead's first album. Rookie thing.
Audible bass was not exactly their hallmark on the Cliff Burton albums, either. It tended to be audible only when it was the only thing in the mix. :)
Regards,

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Audible bass was not exactly their hallmark on the Cliff Burton albums, either. It tended to be audible only when it was the only thing in the mix.
Hehe, yeah. If I recall correctly, Cliff played a Rickenbacker 4003, whch is more of a bright instrument than a deep one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks