What's new

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Anyone else excited? (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

You may be correct Aaron. Does anyone out there have the actual scoop on this? In any event, whether the cut scenes are rendered on the fly or stored on disc doesn't change the fact that having a high capacity, high definition disc as an integral part of a gaming system holds huge potential for future games. Eventually that storage space will be used for all sorts of information and game features and will cause those systems without it to move forward quickly with their next model. Remember, the XBox 360 HD-DVD was an add-on and not an integral part of the system. While it did a nice job of playing such discs as a low cost add-on it would require a major redesign of the 360 to make it a game based media source. That's why I'm convinced that Microsoft will be using a high capacity disc system in the next Xbox.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Change Snake's outfit and if he his wearing that same outfit in the cut scene then it is reneded in game, I think. I suppose there could be parts with no dynamic elements that would not have to be rendered on the fly. For example, the "frying eggs" seems like something that is pure video. Don't really know for sure though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I believe most of the cutscenes are rendered in the game engine. That said, the sheer volume of assets needed for the game completely filled the BD-ROM to it's 50 GB capacity. I believe they had to compress some textures more than they wanted, just to make it all fit.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
Will, yeah I heard a couple guys at work talking about that bit in your spoiler tag, I haven't gotten there yet either. I just started Act 2, I think I'm at the first checkpoint after the first section of it... so far I am really blown away by the game. I find that I don't mind the cutscenes and their length, as they are presented in such an engaging and visually stunning way. I understand from what I hear that the cutscenes will be getting longer and more numerous, though.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
. Ah, memories. :)

Finished the game last night. One of the best games out there for sure. I assume, that not all people love those cut-scenes (especially the fps-gamers etc just wanting to blow stuff up and watch some "movies" some other time.. ;) ), but MGS4 is like one big interactive movie, almost at least.

I just have to play this again (my two friends said the same), it´s impossible to see everything at the first time..

Hideo Kojima, you did it again. Thank you! :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Last night I was talking to my dad (RAF, I think he's around the same age as you) and he told me he'd seen an interesting news story about some new game "with a weird name that has a '7' on the end of it or something."

"You mean Metal Gear Solid?"

"Yeah, that was it."

:D

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Found this great 6-part "Metal Gear Retrospective":

Gametrailers.com - Metal Gear Retrospective: Reviews, Trailers, and Interviews

Tells the history of Metal Gear-games (e.g. "Part 1" is about the vintage games, "Part 2" is about the first "Metal Gear Solid" in Playstation & "Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes" remake for GameCube, etc).

Very well made stuff.

Just remember: Includes heavy SPOILERS (e.g. for those, who´ll want to get new "Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection" set after playing the latest game and play the old ones..).

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Howdy!

This thread may be a bit old, but it's new to me! I just bought a PS3, and tried out MGS4. I'm not a gamer (yet...) but it was intriguing. And the graphics and audio were stunning. I'm still not sure how I got from the channel-surfing intro into the game, but I imagine I'll figure it out again!

Anyway, total, utter noob question: The controller. The markings on the controler say both "DualShock3" and "sixaxxis" is this controller a motion-sensing device? I note there are some games that say something about motion sensing, but I'm not sure how to make it work, or how to use it. Does MGS4 have motion sensing capability? I'd love to see more games with motion sensing capability, as it is such a natural human action that I can't imagine "whii" it took so long for it to be a central part of the gaming world. I think that CC has the motion controllers in the store. Is it worth it to get a couple of them? Meaing, are there enough games to make them useful?

I'd be oh so happy for any light you can shed on this! The documentation and online searches have been less than lucid.

thanks, and maybe I'll see you online in a game someday!

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Yes, the DualShock3 also has the Sixaxis motion-sensing capability. If you download the demo of echochrome, you can try it out because that demo supports it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Some other downloadable demos that use motion-control are Blazing Angels 2 (flight sim) and Toy Home (toy car racing).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are 2 kinds of controllers for the PS3. When the system launched, Sony was in the middle of a lawsuit with a company that developed the technology that was used illegally by Sony in the DualShock and DualShock 2 controllers (for PSOne and PS2, respectively). They didn't want to make another console with the infringing tech, so they made the SIXAXIS controller and removed the force-feedback stuff. Later, the lawsuit was settled and the fans complained, so Sony released the DualShock 3 controllers, which include force-feedback as well as gyroscopic motion-control. They had a big thing about "force-feedback is last-gen technology" and "the vibration motors didn't work with the gyroscopes" when the PS3 was announced, but that was all BS.

So every PS3 game supports the SIXAXIS and most support the DualShock 3, which is essentially a better SIXAXIS. Also, many older PS3 games are getting online updates to include DualShock 3 support and add force-feedback.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Thanks! I did try out echochrome..very cool. Amazing how such a simple idea can produce such a weird experience! I think I may purchase it...but I may have to force them to tone down the background...whew, that pure white is like looking at new-fallen snow in daylight on my DLP-RP set.

I'm eager to see how other games are using the motion sensing. Forgive me for saying so, but the Wii thing seems to have really caught the idea of how to use motion sensing. (I've never played it, so I may be a big bag of wind)

I'm still pretty much a brain-dead lump of protoplasm in MGS4, but I suppose I'll get the hang of it soon. This is the first video gaming console I've had since Pong, circa 1975. The only other real experience I have at games is Quake, (earlier I said Doom, wrong.) on which I managed to get through level one in about six weeks. I had to quit playing due to not getting any sleep and being very late for work!!

I never thought I'd be saying so, but this PS3 rocks! I'm going to get DDR for my daughter, and for my wife. I will probably exercise with it, too. But of course I will scorn it as any real man would. wink.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
After more than a month of waiting, I was finally able to afford a PS3 and MGS4. I'm really enjoying the game so far (just finished Act 3) and I'm actually looking forward to starting over when I'm done so I can unlock everything. Anyone try to go for any special emblems?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning to play the game again at some point, but at the moment too many games I would like to play before that... You´ll get some nice "goodies" after beating the game for the first time, so it should be a bit easier... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks