What's new

Metal Gear Solid 3 (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I have my copy. Most EB's and Gamestops in my area recieved thier shipment in the later afternoon (4-5ish). It should be available today.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I ordered from EBGames.com and it hasn't shipped yet. I wanted to change my shipping method to overnight but my card was already billed so I couldn't (instead, I'm stuck with the 5-10 day I picked when I ordered it...which means it should arrive while I'm home for Thanksgiving). Hopefully it will get sent out and I'll get the e-mail today.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I just finished this today and have to say that it was an amazing 18 hours from start to finish. The story really is the best of the series and does wrap up every loose end from the first two games, as well as set things into motion for what happens in Metal Gear 1 and beyond. They really should leave it as a trilogy, but Konami recently announced plans for MGS4. I'm curious as to what they could do.

Anyway, overall it is the BEST in the MGS series.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Does anyone know if this game 480p with in game DD? If so I will get it if not, I'll wait for it to come to Xbox (if ever).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It's Pro Logic 2, and I don't think it does 480p. Either way, it's a great game and looks gorgeous on the right display.

And I seriously doubt it will come to X-Box either some time soon or within this console cycle.

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
The 1st MGS on PSX was intriguing, I liked it a lot. But for some reason, I lost all interest of the concept in the 2nd MGS released on PS2, and traded the game in for credit towards another game. Gonna skip on this one, not even gonna bother.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
The second MGS on PS2 was garbage. The graphics were great game play was good. But I hated the new character and story. They kinda ruined the series for me. I'd like to play this new one, I may have to play the first one again to renew my interest.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The beginning of MGS3 might put you off because there's a LOT of dialogue and story to sit through, but the gameplay from there on out is amazing and unique. You'll never see a game with as good a story mixed such great gameplay. The characters (even most of the bad guys) are intriguing and interesting. You even feel bad when you beat some of them.

The ending is also amazing. They're able to wrap up every loose story point from MGS1 and 2 while still setting up the NES games. It's really amazing that they were able to pull it off so well.

Van Patton

Second Unit
I think this game is just way too hard. I am playing on Normal diffuculty now, and hate having to sneak thru the jungle with no radar. You have to press L1 every other 5 seconds.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
In MGS2 I HATED the fact that your girlfriend would ring you up on your little communicator every 2 minutes and say how afraid she was for you to go on this mission and you better take care blah blah!! All this during a top secret government mission??? The white haired whiney little punk also threw me for a loop. I just stopped playing it soon after the 4th or 5th GF conversation.

Why do they throw so much useless dialogue and drama in the game? Don't get me wrong I wanted to like it but MGS1 is still my favorite game.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

When you enter a new area, try finding a good hiding position and use the Binoculars. Get a scan of the area and enemy positions that way you don't go in blind or stumble upon someone accidentally. You can also climb to the top of the some of the trees and get an higher up view of your surroundings. Finally you can use your motion detector to keep track of any nearby movement just in case you are worried. I barely ever go into first person mode unless necessary as using the right stick to shift the camera around is usually sufficient.

I'm personally glad they dropped the radar. This game is all the better for it. You actually have to think about the situations you are in instead of just avoiding the sight cones of the enemy.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
No more radar = a good thing. Radar felt like cheating to me. Having to actually look around to find where all the enemies are is more fun. But if radar is your thing, on some maps you can interrogate an enemy soldier to get him to reveal the location of all the other soldiers. If he does, he'll do so by telling you to check out your map.

Speaking of interrogation, Close Quarters Combat is freakin' sweet! This is one of the biggest and best improvements in MGS3.

My main gripe: after all these years you still can't move around while in 1st person view. :angry: That's just lame.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Sounds kinda neat, how does ps2 look on a projector? It looked like crap on my rptv.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I don't have a PJ, but I probably wouldn't try hooking my PS2 up to one if I did :laugh: The jaggies would probably drive me nuts. It would be fun for get-togethers, but when playing alone the benefits of sheer size wouldn't overcome the blown up mess of PS2 graphics.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I just thought I would revive this thread to throw in my two cents.

I just played the demo for MGS3 and the deciding factor on this game for me is the camera. In the first two MGS games you had the radar so you could see if a guard was standing in front of you. But in this installment if a guard is standing just off screen he can see you but you can't see him looking at you unless you go into first person and then you can't move. Want to move? I guess you'll just have to hope the guard doesn't move to where he can see you while you can't see what he's doing. Pretty lame.

Thankfully this will be fixed with the release of Subsistence. (In case you haven't heard it will have an adjustable third person camera.) I will give it a shot then. It's a shame because I'm sure it's a dynamite game and story but the camera is crippling.

MatS

Screenwriter
'thankfully this will be fixed'????!!!!
there is nothing to fix
the way the game plays is the intention of the designer and a good one at that

this is not the first two games
in the first two games you were not given camoflauge to use
and if you are using it properly as well as the stelth techniques there is no reason an enemy off screen should see you
additionally, you are given binoculars that allow you to see enemies from a distance on all sides of you, where they are facing and what their movements are so again there is rarely an instance (if you are playing the game correctly) where an enemy can see you off screen and you cannot see him

sorry to hear you are passing up this great game for that reasoning... lastly, I wouldn't judge the final product by the demo

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Seriously, if you've played the first two and were pretty successful, then MGS3 is cake. The camera isn't that big of a deal, especially since it's not always in the annoying view. In fact, there are several times where it's in a better view that allows you to see more of the field.

Also, using the binoculars and first-person mode to see your surroundings, in addition to the battery-powered radar you find, isn't that difficult, nor does it detract from the game at all. And this is coming from someone who actually played the whole thing.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I tried the demo again last night to see if I could live with the camera. It seemed to go smoother since I remembered where the guards were and the best way to sneak past them.

Since you played the entire game are there a lot of instances where even using the binoculars and scouting ahead would still lead to a surprise guard? Or is it necessary to play an area and then repeat the same area remembering where all the guards are?

I may end up keeping this one (I bought a used on but haven't opened it yet). My desire to see the story is pretty high.

James T

Screenwriter
I love the this game and for the most part, the camera is not a problem, but there are times where I wish I could control it.

There's a part in the game(just before the mountaintop) where there are so many bends in the game, that it's difficult to sneak through. The first time I've played it, I just opened fire since I couldn't figure out how to sneak in. The second time through, I turned on every radar device to help me sneak through. It helped, but at the last leg of that stage, I had to kick ass to reach the door.

As for the binoculars part, there was only one time I used it in the game and I was still able to sneak through a great majority of the game.

This game is pretty much straight forward compared to those games. And although I was only 'okay' at best when sneaking in those two games, I found it a lot easier to do so in this game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are one or two moments when it's best to look around in first-person when you enter a room before running through it, but overall the camera works with you more than against you.

Also, you end up getting a sonar device and a radar, which help you see what's in the surrounding area. They run off of a depleting battery, though, but you can pick up spare batteries or let it recharge by not using it.

If you're pretty good, you can get through the game fine. Honestly, the one or two bad moments with the camera are COMPLETELY overshadowed by the storyline.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks