Merged Thread: Warner-Cary Grant Boxset for June

Discussion in 'DVD' started by FrankXS, Feb 27, 2004.

1. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

According to today's USA Today, Warner will release a 100th Birthday box set honoring Cary Grant June 1st. The titles wiil include Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House/Destination Tokyo/The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer/My Favorite Wife and Night and Day. Also word that Gunga Din and Bringing Up Baby will be out in 2005. WARNER KEEPS ON DELIVERING !!!!!!!

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

This is mostly excellent news.

I'd love to get Mr. Blandings, Destination Tokyo and the Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer, though I don't really want My Favorite Wife, and Night & Day just sucks.

On the other hand, Bringing Up Baby in 2005, means it's not coming in 2004 as previously thought (after supposedly coming in 2003, and before that 2002, etc.). But if it actually makes it, then that will be great, and it's also good to see Gunga Din finally on the radar.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yes, "Destination Tokyo" with Grant and John Garfield has always been a favorite.

Crawdaddy

4. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Quite happy to see Bringing Up Baby make a 'new' anticipated release target date. I'm also getting a bit guarded about these tentative dates that seem to slip perpetually. If we get a definitive date I'll be quite happy, meanwhile I might still get the European version available on some sites.

Now if Paramount would only show their hand with regards to The African Queen I'd be ecstatic. [​IMG]

Joel

5. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Good news! My Favorite Wife, Bachelor And The Bobbysoxer and Destination Tokyo will plug up the few remaining holes in my Cary Grant collection. i already have Mr. Blandings and Night And Day on laser disc.

Now if Warners will release Crisis and Dream Wife, I'll have all the Grant titles I want.

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Great News!

I hope they are released individually as I have no interest in Night & Day. However if the box set has an extra disc of special features I might pick it up.

Would also love to see Warner put out Sylvia Scarlett, Suspicion & Mr Lucky on DVD too.

7. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

The USA today article says that each title will be released individually for $19.97 (list price) each. However the 5 disc box is only $49.92 (list price), meaning that for less than the price of three single discs, you can have all five.

Another great deal from Warner!

8. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Weissmuller and now this? Warners, have mercy on my poor credit card [​IMG]

---
    So many films, so little time...

9. george kaplan

In addition to the ones mentioned, I hope to someday see dvds of other Grant films:

Suspicion
    Holiday
    Once Upon a Honeymoon
    In Name Only
    Every Girl Should Be Married (OK, this one is definitely a lesser title, but I still enjoyed it)

10. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

The only title I'll get is "Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer".
    Glad to hear it will be available seperately.

11. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Second Unit

You're all forgetting "None but the lonely heart"
    I'm one that really wants "Once upon a honeymoon" as much as "In name only" too.
    Great news indeed!!!
    Warner is taking away all my money, but I don't mind at all. That news just made my day.

12. george kaplan

I'm not forgetting it, I'm just not into that film, though I appreciate Grant's performance in it.

13. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

George there is a DVD of Holiday from Columbia : do you mean the 1938 comedy with Grant and Hepburn. I have a copy though I've not watched it yet. Did Columbia not release this title in the US ?

Another one we have here in region 2 is Hitchcock's Suspicion. Universal appear to have the rights to the RKO films in the UK. They put out a Cary Grant boxset last year which included Bringing Up Baby, My Favourite Wife and two others I can't recall. I haven't seen these though satelitte broadcasts of Bringing Up Baby and My Favourite Wife look fine to me.Hope the Warner Bringing is worth the lengthy wait, I'm sure it will be. In the meantime I'll just have to enjoy my German disc from Kinowelt : reasonable transfer though opening titles have been redone.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I've been hearing that Warner is preparing some Hitchcock titles for release in a box set and individually. Suspicion is one of those titles.

Crawdaddy

15. george kaplan

Yes that was the film I was talking about, but as Robert said, it hasn't been released here yet (otherwise it'd be on my shelf. [​IMG]).

16. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

This is some of the best DVD news I've read in a while. I'll definitely get the box set.

17. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Damn, I was hoping The African Queen was a Warner title. Of course, it it were, it would have likely already been released as a 2-disc SE! I hope Paramount gets it right.

As for this news, it just makes for less and less to ask them at the upcoming chat in March. Like someone said in another thread, we'll have no questions left for them -- just a ton of "thank yous"! [​IMG]

18. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Second Unit

That's great news for sure, but I still have a tons of questions for the WB chat. So many titles yet to come...and so little time.

19. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

I'm sad to hear that Gunga Din has been delayed until next year, but I'll definitely be picking up two of my favorite Cary Grant films: Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (FINALLY!) and My Favorite Wife.

Keep it up, WB!

20. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Great but I'm sad we won't see Bringing Up Baby this year as expected. I'm hoping for a nice 2-disc SE. One of the best films ever made.