What's new

Merged Thread: Raiders of the Lost Ark: Problems, Title and Chapter Issues (1 Viewer)

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
When Raiders first came out on VHS, not only was telecine equipment less advanced, televisions were. Whoever did that transfer might have deemed it necessary to turn the brightness up at different points so it would look decent on the televisions of that time.
I don't understand one point here. If the telecine process was able to clearly show the back pockets and other such details, that means that those details actually existed on the source film material right? How do the theaters obscure something that is on the film? Do they turn down the projector brightness to obscure such details? I am just curious to know. can anyone elaborate?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The old transfer was to bright. That's why you can also see the matte box around the plane as it flies towards the bridge.

Neil

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The version projected in the theater woudl have been darker. it was only bright when they shot it. The home video versions are made from original elements, not theatrical prints unless the original elements aren't available.

George See

Second Unit

I agree, it definently seems like it's darker to mainain the mystery. I just got around to watching these yesterday and I was absolutly thrilled with how the picture looked the whole way thru. The VHS tapes are just a fuzzy blurry memory in the back of my mind that I can't even see clearly because the tracking is a bit off :)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Hey all!

I fired up my new Onkyo HTS770 6.1 system last night to demo various items, among which was "Raiders." Funny thing, it flagged the soundtrack as DDEX. I'm sure it was some sort of error, but upon checking the rear center channel there was audio, albeit bleeding audio from the left and right rears. Something must not be set up right. Am I missing something? I welcome your comments.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks