What's new

MERGED: Lion King DVD discussion thread (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I saw this was advertised as a pre-order special in this week's Best Buy circular... then went to their website and there was no mention of the disc anywhere. That's some brilliant advertising...

But I'm jacked for this one, and thanks for the heads up on the specs!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
DTS!

Hopefully...

I don't understand why they left it off Beauty and the Beast, especially if they hadn't crammed disc 1 with three versions of the movie plus extras (it does have some pixelization because of this). The Work in Progress version should have been on its own disc along with more of the supplements.

Dan

James Reader

Screenwriter
This Platinum Special Edition DVD includes:
* New Elton John/Tim Rice song, "Morning Report"
* Deleted scenes
* 3D animation created exclusively for the DVD menus and games
* Redrawn characters with more facial details
* Enhanced backgrounds with more color saturation
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound with Enhanced Home Theater (EHT)
Anyone else suspect the 'Original' version, will in-fact only be the IMAX edition?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else suspect the 'Original' version, will in-fact only be the IMAX edition?
I fear that, as the changes were pretty subtle. I hope they don't try and get away with that.

If there really is the original theatrical edition and a Special Edition, then I hope the theatrical cut comes from a 1994 print/video master, and the Special Edition comes from the new stuff they did, with the new studio logo, the modified "SFX", etc.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
They did it with the first section of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. Why should LION KING be different. The vast majority of folks won't notice. Heck, when I saw E.T.: THE BASTARDIZED FOR YOUR PROTECTION version, I heard people comment on the way out that they didn't see anything new in the film and that they were disappointed.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
These specs look great. I can't wait to add this one.

I'd love to think that Disney will eventually release The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and AIDA (stage versions) to DVD after their runs complete. It would be great if they planned ahead to get original casts.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Let the handwringing begin!! Disney offered the original vesion of Beauty as well as the updated one. They'll do the same on Lion King - they state it as so. ;)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Let the handwringing begin!! Disney offered the original vesion of Beauty as well as the updated one. They'll do the same on Lion King - they state it as so.
But, not really wanting to drag up this old can of worms again, the 'Original' version on Beauty and The Beast was not the proper original version. The first half was taken from the IMAX re-issue so some of the animation changes were present, the 'In Association With Silver Screen Partners IV' credit was missing from the opening and the soundtrack was different. After the layer change (the branching point on the disc) it did indeed use the proper animation from the original release, but the soundtrack was still wrong. The only authentic version of the film presented on the Beauty and the Beast DVD was the 'Special Edition'.

I fear the 'original' version on the Lion King disc will simply be the IMAX reissue, which includes several sequences of new animation (and more than likely a 'new' soundtrack), but does not feature the new song (the new song is premiered on the DVD release)

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
I love the new artwork, it beats the heck out of the original VHS and LD cover, although I still love the LD box set cover, but this is more suitable for the DVD.

Derek

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I interviewed Don Hahn about two weeks ago and he did say they were putting A LOT of stuff about the Broadway show on the DVD, so these specs match what he was talking about.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm sure it will have commentary, and I'm sure it won't be a port.
I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. From my interview with producer Don Hahn:

CJ: The Lion King laserdisc was one of the greatest ever made. I would guess that the commentary will come over from that, right?

DH: Yes, we’ll use that literally. What was great about that commentary is that it was done back in 1994 or 1995, so the movie was very fresh. I think a lot of the elements from the laserdisc were fantastic. We want to pull those over, but we also want to pull in elements like Julie Taymor’s take on The Lion King and talk about it with some perspective of the years gone by now.

The fact the specs state the set will include no subtitles is also extremely suspect...

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
if they do make the "original" version actually be all or part of the imax release, that irks me somewhat. But frankly, if they get the video quality clean then I'll be happy enough.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I dunno what people are worried about. Was the platinum release of snow white and beauty and the beast not good enough for some of you ? sheesh. I understand when people have concerns about original theatrical cuts but in this case i think some people are totally over-reacting. Bring on Aladdin in 2004 because thats my favorite disney animated feature!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I understand when people have concerns about original theatrical cuts but in this case i think some people are totally over-reacting.
If people are overreacting, then what's the proper reaction to Disney declaring a DVD contains the original theatrical release and it really doesn't? Pretending it is?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Do You have proof that disney will not include the original cut on the disc ? When it's known that it doesn't contain the original cut then complain. Right now its a little pre-mature to do so but if you want to it's your right. Just because it happened with beauty and the beast doesn't mean it will happen again.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The specs that were listed from Costco are correct. The Platinum Edition will street on October 7th, with a MSRP of 29.99, and the following specs:

Disc 1:

THX Cetified.

English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

Widescreen Anamorphic(Aspect Ratio 1.85:1).

2 different versions of the film: the original theatrical release and an extended edition, including the newly-animated number "Morning Report" originally created for the Broadway show.

The Making of The Morning Report.

3 deleted scenes:
Bug Football.
Hakuna Matata.
Warthog Rhapsody.

All new music video.

Sing-along track.

set-top games:
The Lion King Personality Profile.
Rafiki's Three Gourd Monty.
Timon's Grab-A-Grub.
Pumbaa's Sound Sensations.

Disc 2:

Disney Animals: learn how real animals inspired these animated Lion King characters hosted by Roy Disney.

Storymaking Magic: the fascinating origin and influences behind the story of The Lion King.

Behind-the-Scenes footage.

Character and computer design.

African art inspiration.

Interviews with Elton John and Tim Rice.

Virtual safari with tour guides Timon and Pumbaa.

Behind the scenes of the award-winning Broadway show.

Interview with Julie Taymor.

Explore masks, costumes, people and puppets.

The Lion King music videos.

The African influence.

...and much more.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I wonder if the original 30 minute Making of The Lion King documentary hosted by James Earl Jones will make it.

-Lyle J.P.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
It was actually hosted by Robert Guillaume and I'd love for it to make it. The David Ogden Stiers-hosted one on Beauty and the Beast didn't make the DVD though. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks