Men's Dress Shoes

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SethH, Jul 24, 2008.

1. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'm in need of a decent pair of dress shoes for work. I read some Forbes article that says a pair of good men's dress shoes start at $350. Well, I'm not going there.

My current dress/work shoes are Merrells that were about $80. I've been very pleased with the comfort, but they aren't the greatest looking dress shoes in the world.

So what brand or shoe should I look at? I'm willing to pay more than the $80 that I spent on my Merrells, but I want the amount to be more like a pair of shoes rather than a car payment.

Priorities are as follows: 1) Comfort 2) Looks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If I were trying to stay at that level, I'd look at L.L. Bean's penny loafers for $99. Bean manages to makes stuff that looks decent without charging a fortune, and most of their footwear comes in wide sizes. I can't vouch for these from personal experience, but they were the first thing I thought of.

Classic Penny Loafers, Rubber Sole: Slip-Ons at L.L.Bean

M.

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I'm just an engineer, so what do I know? But I buy Florsheim dress shoes at DSW for $80. The latest pair, brown dress, are comfortable and I can wear them all day without problem.

If you're in sales, an executive, or earning $300k a year (or just love shoes), get yourself some $350 dress shoes. Otherwise, buy a nice pair for under a $100.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

6. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Your priorities are the same as mine. I'm wearing a pair of Dockers with the "all motion comfort" feature. Black shoe, lace up. 1.5 years old and still looking good. Paid $120 Canadian at Shoe Warehouse.

7. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I like Rockports. I realize they have the Vibram soles and they do not have the dressier leather soles, but they are light weight and last a long time if you take care of them.

8. KurtEP

KurtEP Supporting Actor

I'm wearing a very similar pair of Johnston & Murphys right now and they are quite comfortable (just don't plan on walking too far in them).

If you want to invest in good dress shoes, be sure to find yourself a good cobbler. I've had a few pairs of shoes (notably some Kenneth Coles) that I've had resoled 3+ times. As long as the uppers are looking good, you can normally have this done for far less than the price of a new pair, and if your guy is any good, they'll look and feel like new.

My experience with $300+ shoes is limited, as the one pair I paid that much money for (Bruno Maglis) had to be returned almost immediately after I bought them because of a broken clasp. I find that most shoes from around $120 to $250 are just fine. Cheaper ones tend to be much harsher on the feet, and don't normally look as good. I wouldn't bother paying much more than $300 unless I were going to have them custom made.

9. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I wear Allen Edmunds that I bought at an outlet Mall. If you have an outlet mall near by, you can definalty find some well made shoes for good prices and usually from many makers (Cole Hahn, Johnston Murphy, Bass, etc.).

10. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Though I wear boots, I can't agree more with this statement. Some of my favorite footwear has been re-heeled, new tips, new soles, etc..for the last fifteen years (about ten times) and they still look like new on top and have become more comfortable over the years. If the lasts (sp) are well made, good foorwear can last almost forever.

Mort

11. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

[OJ] You'd wear those ugly-ass shoes?? [/OJ]

Jon

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Thought you were being harsh, until I went to the site and saw the "Men's Collection.

As we've heard, "Beauty is in the eye of the Pimp."

Well, it was something like that. [​IMG]

13. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’ve not read the Forbes article, but here is another vote for Allen Edmonds. A pair at suggested retail costs in the neighborhood of $300, but you should be able to find them for well under $200,

Once I bought my first pair, I never bought any other kind (for work). They are by far the most comfortable dress shoes I ever owned—and they last a very long time (making the cost actually not too bad). The best combination of looks and comfort for business I found.

I still have several pair, but now I mostly just buy good waking shoes, hiking boots and loafers.

14. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

The "Ugly-Ass Shoes" comment was a reference to OJ Simson. During his trial, the prosecuters made a connection between the murderer and a pair of Bruno Magli shoes, which he said OJ wore. To which Simpson replied, "I wouldn't wear those ugly-ass shoes!"

Jon

15. KurtEP

KurtEP Supporting Actor

I got the joke right away, but I've got to admit that there isn't much in their current lineup that I'd buy. For whatever reason, there aren't a lot of what I'd consider good looking dress shoes out there today. I refuse to spend good money on shoes that look like crap, however, so it looks like I'll just have to lower my expectations. Of course, If I ever find that pair of Mezlans I lost in my recent move, I'll be back in business.

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I buy stuff from SierraTradingPost all the time, they have some good coupons out every now and then and they have a very good return policy too.

i wouldn't spend $350 on any pair of shoes. Heck, my double plastic mountaineering boots weren't even $350 and I would depend on my feet for getting off the mountains in winter.. [​IMG]

Jay

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Well Jay, I can’t argue about shoes saving my life, but when back when I worked, I was in my (dress) shoes 10–14 hours a day. Comfortable shoes that looked good were at least as important as my hiking boots that I wore only on the odd weekend (though much more often now).

18. sapphirekishi

sapphirekishi Auditioning

19. listenwong

listenwong Auditioning

Give her love,give her VitaBella My Friend married last month,she bought a wedding dress what she is loving very much. This site may help you: http://www.weddingdress.com.ph/ Yours sincerely.

20. spslokesh

spslokesh Auditioning

hello,

I am lokesh from india .I am seller from online fashion site.

please click this link for apparel & garments information...............Apparel & Garments