"Memoirs of an Invisible Man" DVD becomes visible – August 19th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Allred, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I think this is the only theatrical release of John Carpenter's never to see a DVD release (yet.)

It's certainly not his best film but gosh darn it, I am aiming to have a complete collection of his work.

Warner Brothers owns it so hopefully they'll trot this sucker out before I die (in widescreen please.)

I always look past Chevy Chase and concentrate on one of my all time favorite actors, Sam Neill. He's an evil SOB ain't he?

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    FWIW, WB released it theatrically, as well as on VHS and LD. I haven't seen this in years, and I didn't care for it when I did, but I'd probably pick up a DVD for the sake of completeness of my Carpenter collection. This was, I think, the only film not to be titled "John Carpenter's...," so I'm not sure if that indicates an unhappiness with the project such that he wouldn't provide assistance for the DVD release (commentary, etc.). If he did a commentary, however, it'd become a must-buy for me.

DJ

3. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I'd be happy with a bare bones disc.....again, as long as it's widescreen but yeah, a Carpenter commentary would be awfully nice.

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

as long as it is widescreen, I will buy this
    [​IMG]

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

As the completist -- save for "Village of the Damned," which even I can't watch a second time -- I'll get this if OAR. I'm also hoping Warners releases Cronenberg's "M. Butterfly" sometime in the future too, though I'm not holding my breath.++++

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I actually like this JC film quite a bit (it's an interesting mix of comedy romance and sinister horror film) and would love the chance to own it.

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I'd probably buy it. Not the best movie. (The book it is based on is FAR superior, and far more serious...) But it was a decent flick. And it was JC. After his comments about widescreen a while back...I'll support him in just about anything. [​IMG]

9. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    If anyone here has not yet read William Goldman's WHICH LIE DID I TELL, I highly reccomend picking it up. Goldman was the screenwriter on this film, and it's production was a troubled one. I think it had alot to do with Chevy Chase and his intentions for the film. I think Carpenter was called in to replace a director. Anyway, there may be the possibility that Carpenter is not real keen on this flick, as it seems he had a bad experience making it. Then again, I could remember wrong.

10. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Did anyone read the book? Alot more sinister and horrorfying than the movie. Chevy Chase was totally miscast.

I think JC totally missed the point.

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell

12. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

It's a hell of a lot better than Hollow Man though, doing a lot more with the aspects of being invisible. I also think it's the last decent film Chevy Chase did before his career and reputation went down the drain as a has-been. T

13. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

You know, I actually liked this film quite a bit. I thought it started out like a semi-comedy, but then took a turn to light horror and ended up as a sort of "Bondish"-Thriller. It reminds me a little of "Frighteners" (minus the "Bond" stuff[​IMG]), which I didn't like at all at first.
    I also didn't know that John Carpenter was involved with the movie at all until I read this thread. WOW!
    Yeah, I'd buy it if it was done correctly, even it was a Movie Only disc.

14. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I read the book too!

The "Memoirs of an Invisible Man" movie didn't live up to my expectations as well as say, another book-turned-into-a-movie, "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"; and the latter must have been a much greater undertaking than the former.

For those interested and not as lucky as Johnny Angell, who found a used copy, Reader's Digest has a condensed version in their Condensed Books series.

15. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

There was a great HBO "First Look" documentary on Memoirs of an Invisible Man. It even had Mel Gibson driving Chevy Chase around the backlot of Warner Bros and had John Carpenter getting ready to hop into a helicopter to go to the set. It would HAVE to be included in a future DVD release. It's just too entertaining!

A commentary is a must-have as well. Chevy and Carpenter would be very interesting indeed.

Come on Warner Bros...where is this one?

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I remember that HBO first look. They must include it just so they can have "Fantastic Extras!!" on the package.

17. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    that is one of the best makings of ever, plus i just love this beautiful scope film

i think ill go pop my laserdisc of it in....

18. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Second Unit

I just bought the LD off ebay for $9.99. For that price, I'll chance the possibility of a future DVD.

19. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer