What's new

MEMENTO: LIMITED EDITION discussion thread (for menu-navigation and ALL other issues) (1 Viewer)

Pierre Gagne

Agent
Yee-Ming,

There is, at least, one thing different on the Alliance version (canadian) from the US Columbia-Tristar one. The presence of a DD5.1 french track that is replacing the DD2.0 english track. Other than that, I'll have to check it at home tonight as I've just received the package at my office today.

Pierre

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I finally rented this last weekend. I had noticed this thread but I didn't open it for fear of spoilers I guess. Wish I had. After about 3 minutes I said to hell with it. I wonder if the major rental stores have upgraded to this set. If so, I can imagine they'll be giving out a lot of refunds.
Major kudos to Douglas. I'll rent again in a while armed with your info.
No paper clip, but I did get a green rubber band to hold the two jewel cases together ;)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Come on, where are the people who are furiously making new DVD covers? We really need one to replace this POS.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Chris/Pierre:
many thanks! reason I'm asking is because nowadays I order from totalactionuniverse.com which is Canadian, and I got caught out on the non-SE version.
if the only difference is the "loss" of DD2.0 in English (don't speak French so it's irrelevant), that's fine. but to get nitpicky ;) is there any difference in packaging, e.g. dual language titles and blurbs on the back?

Oscar

Second Unit
Three questions:
Is it true that there is also hassle to access the DD track?
According to John Stanley from www.dvdanswerman.com it is!
Can i access the audio commentaries and other audio options with clicking the "audio" button on my Control?
Also can I access the features with the Title button?.

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Doug, appreciate the effort!! You made the process to watch these fantastic movie extras much more bearable.

DannyS

Second Unit
any news on a replacement cover yet for a double amaray?

I am sat here staring at the empty dvd slipcase wondering how to get the discs back in. Frankly I have decided to give up. I will almost certainly destroy the lovingly created but stupidly designed "file" . I have made a kink in the cardboard already and that is upsetting. I want to just get the discs in a normal keepcase and put the actual , frustrating but beautiful "folder" in my "cool case but completely unpractical" box.

Can anyone help?

John CW

Supporting Actor
Wow, great work!! I figured out all of the "advertised features" myself (it isn't very hard!) but I really enjoyed reading about the hidden ones!! The commentary track is a work of genius and totally in keeping with the film!! Well done Mr. Nolan!!
The box is VERY annoying though (whilst beautifully designed) and guess what? Yup, one disc was lose - argh! I can't replace the plastic there, but to be honest it's just a LOT easier keeping the discs in separate cases!
I can't believe after all this time we REALLY did get the ULTIMATE Memento DVD! Wow, dreams DO come true!
One happy shopper ;)
~ John

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
has anyone else compared the transfer of the "hidden" chronological cut to the main dvd? I still think the chronological cut looks slightly better, which is really strange.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Yee-Ming,
yes, the packaging is slightly different. After all we're talking about Alliance Atlantis here.
The front looks identical to the US version, the spine has an Alliance logo instead of the CTHV one, the back paper thingy (which can be removed) is bilingual. Here's what it looks like:
6593514113b.jpg

Also, when you launch the disc it starts with the Alliance logo instead of the CTHV logo. The FBI warning when you start the film is the same as the CTHV one though, and you get the US rating. All that and the French 5.1 instead of English surround are the only differences I can find.
The inner packaging (including note and test sheets) seems to be identical and is not bilingual (which is about the stupidest thing they could have done!).
HTH,
Chris

John CW

Supporting Actor
The image look REMARKABLY good IMHO too! But I'm pretty sure it has a lower bitrate and, on my TV at least, looks fairly identical to the "proper" version, but not better.
It's the same version used in the "Director's Script" feature, but chopped around a bit (neat touch actually reversing the credits and the opening shot - COOL!).
One problem I had when watching it chronological order on my Tosh SD-2109 was that when it got to the end of black and white scenes it then jumped to the last colour scene, instead of the first one - weird and annoying! Only tried it once, hoping it was just a glitch as it was REALLY interesting watching it in chronological order!
Also: Douglas: You haven't mentioned solving the puzzle on the subtitles screen on disc one. It IS possible although I'm not sure if is actually yields anything.
The message: Seh vrhtdxy dt pexth adht ix nxr wuhghu; nxrut xu xrut?
Translates as: The ques(t)ion is whose lies do you prefer; yours or ours?
Note there is a missing T in question making it extra difficult to translate! :frowning:
The rules go like this:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
l k j i h g f e d c b a m z y x w v u t s r q p o n

I have to go and get a life now! ;)
~ John

RobertSing

Agent
When you watch the "chronological" version on Disc 2, do you get the whole movie?

On my player, I get all the black& white/Sammy stuff together, then the scene where

he and Lenny go the abandoned building

The whole thing is about 15-20 minutes, including the end credits. Is there any way to get the entire thing to play in the proper time sequence?

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Robert, when I watched the chronological version, I got the whole movie. It starts with the end credits running backward, then begins with the black and white scenes, the transition scene where it changes from black and white to color, then all the color scenes.

I am told you then get the opening credits running in reverse (which means really that the image runs in forward motion, since in the original it runs in reverse), but I cannot personally speak for this, since on my player, the movie froze

right after Leonard shot Teddy

Hope this helps.

John CW

Supporting Actor
I have the exact same problem.

1) Credits run backwards

2) Black and white segments

3) Start of the movie (ie the end!) running backwards

It should be

1) Credits run backwards (nice touch!)

2) Black and white segments

3) B&W to Colour scene

4) Colour scenes in reverse order

5) First scene played backwards

But this DOESN'T happen on my Toshiba SD-2109!

Anyone else having problems?

~ John

Brad_H

Agent
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but...

I have the both the original dvd and the new se. On the se did they reproduce the chat with Christopher Nolan that appears on the original. If so, I can't find it. And if they didn't, why not?

Thanks.

Brad

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I haven't checked out the chronological cut yet. I am going to do it today thought to make sure my player plays it OK.

-Dean-

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
The chronological edit works fine on my trusty Panasonic A-120. That baby hasn't failed me yet.

This is the first title that I've double dipped on and I have to say that Doug's work with the SE guide is what convinced me. Great job!!!

Lots of great stuff, but the audio commentary and the chronological edit are the main features that made me double dip.

Cheers.

Jeff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks