What's new

MEMENTO: LIMITED EDITION discussion thread (for menu-navigation and ALL other issues) (1 Viewer)

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I just got my copy of the Limited Edition release of Memento today, and the menu navigation (especially on Disc 2, where the extras are) is mildly confusing, to say the least.
I've made up what I hope is a useful guide to navigating the DVD's menus.
(To simplify changes, I've moved the content to a page on my own web site: Link Removed. It's much easier for me to make additions and corrections there.)
doug

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I think there are more features on disc two that still haven't been uncovered. The reviewer at DVD Talk mentions that he saw a menu screen which listed every special feature on the DVD.

(N.B.: On my Panasonic RP-91, I can't chapter or speed forward or backward in this edit, but I can enter timecodes and jump to them.)
Same thing happens on the Pioneer DV-343 I tried the DVD on.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey

I've added this menu screen to my guide (see above). Thanks for the prompt: I didn't even know to look for that feature.

And for the record, it's a long way from listing every feature. I'm not quite sure why they chose the five they did...

doug

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Douglas, that menu is an absolute bitch to get through most of the time. Clever and neat, but pretty darn annoying.
Great Movie! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Christopher D

Second Unit
Great work -- thanks!

I think there are going to be a lot of highly ticked off people dropping into this thread tomorrow.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Thanks for taking the time to make that webpage. I barely have enough time to watch movies at home anymore with an infant to care for, much less play with something like this just to watch a 10 minute feature-ette!

-paul

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
This reminds me of the Monsters Crash the Pajama Party disc that had *nothing* accessible except through trial and error. I fucking hate that disc and there's no way I'm buying this Memento just to have to deal with that kind of bullshit. I'm not paying for a video game, I'm paying for a DVD and I expect to be able to get to the content I want to see. Leave that foolishness for the PlayStations.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Got my copy today. Thanks Douglas. If it weren't for you the second disc would've been flying out the window from the 8th floor 3 hours ago. :D

Brian Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Last night I discovered that Christopher Nolan has recorded three separate commentaries for the final ten minutes of the film. However, after a frustrating amount of time trying to find how to access them manually, I still for the life of me cannot figure out how to access these other than at random. Any ideas?

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
This reminds me of the Monsters Crash the Pajama Party disc that had *nothing* accessible except through trial and error.

The new Memento disc sounds like a terrible hassle, but I just wanted to put in a good word for Monsters Crash the Pajama Party. I loved that disc. I guess it helped that I had no expectations about exactly what I would or would not see on it, but the features are short enough, for the most part, that I really enjoyed just sort of jumping around randomly with no idea at all what I'd see next.

But that's a lot different from a SE of a popular film that expects you to jump through hoops to see supplementary materials.

-bf-

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
For me, this is what Collector's Editions are all about: unique from standard editions. If you don't care for the crazy stuff, buy the original version.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'm just referring to those who compare this to a Playstation game. Maybe it's the fact that I do play video games, but I didn't find it very hard to navigate through the discs. With special features seemingly being phased out due to either cost or the J6P influence, we should embrace something like this set!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Can we get another :rolleyes? I play video games myself, but all I want to do is watch a movie and access special features, not be involved in stupid little games just to access special features. I have no problem with disc one of the set, but disc two is where my problem lies as if I want to watch a trailer or what not, I just want to click on "trailer" and not go through three - five little quizzes.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Well, enjoy clicking on just a trailer, because if studios get enough flack for being inventive with discs, we'll be back to the early Disney-released DVDs where all you got were trailers.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Well, enjoy clicking on just a trailer, because if studios get enough flack for being inventive with discs, we'll be back to the early Disney-released DVDs where all you got were trailers.
:rolleyes:I never said I wanted to click on just a trailer. I like interactivity, but I don't like it when I have to play games just to access special features. I have no problems with "little things" being easter eggs (like a trailer for another movie or DVD credits), but when I want to watch the movie or access a special feature, I just want to be able to go STRAIGHT TO it, and not through little quizzes.
If you want to play games, go get an X-BOX.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Mr. Chmiel. This is a movie... not a video game.
Personally, if I buy something FOR the SPECIAL FEATURES... I want to be able to GET the special features without more effort on my part. From the sounds of this disc, it is making it a hassle to do the basic things (like find the trailer). There should at least be an OPTION to get around the games and right to the special features.
If you want a game... buy an XBOX :)
If you want a movie... buy a DVD :D

Brian Cal

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with both sides of this argument, but the chronological edit UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should be available as a standard special feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks