What's new

Memento: Best Film of the Year (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
This year has been bereft of movies in the category of great--Memento--included, however it was a very good film and probably right up there with A.I. if I were to make a list of best films of the year.
------------------
ep2.jpg

[Edited last by Tom_G on September 06, 2001 at 06:17 PM]

Brian_J

Second Unit
I'm guessing this is the type of movie that will likely make more money in video release than it did in the theaters.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
It is too early to call Memento best film of the year as I expect good things to come out around Oscar time (The Royal Tenenbaums?)...and as for best film in the past 2 years? That is insane. I would rank Requiem For A Dream, Almost Famous, Wonder Boys and others before Memento. Don't get me wrong, I did like Memento. I do have a problem with it being a single gimmick turned into a movie, but other than that it was quite solid.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Lawrence, there is a pretty sizable slate of Oscar-caliber movies due to come out between now and the end of the year. Although he is often overlooked by the Academy, Martin Scorsese will have another great movie in Gangs of New York.
That is one film I can foresee being better than Memento (not to take anything away from Memento--A fine film it is).
------------------
ep2.jpg

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I purchased the Memento dvd without having seen the movie previously. I must say that for once, I wasn't disappointed in doing so! It's a great movie and hopefully it'll garner at least a Best Picture nomination...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
[Edited last by SteveGon on September 07, 2001 at 10:55 PM]

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I hope this movie gets some Oscar recognition. Memento totally deserves it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
This is what I liked most about memento: During the first half hour or so, I was so totally confused I am not even sure I got the structure of the movie then. At the beguining of each segment I was totally clueless, I had to try to realise what was going on, situate the character in time and space... And then came the realisation that this guy goes through these feelings almost every minute of every day!!!
To be able to feel a character so accurately is pretty much unprecedented for me.
--
Holadem

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Momento is easily the best movie of 2001, but unfortunatly its lack luster box office performance will cause the MPAA to overlook yet another fantastic film for a best picutre nod. Well I hope that changes this year.
Well, how much money has it made? It's a limited release film that I saw early this year...and it's still playing in the same theaters that it was in back when I first saw it. It ain't making Titanic's grosses but I can't imagine that it would be sticking around like this if it wasn't making money.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
quote: Momento is easily the best movie of 2001, but unfortunatly its lack luster box office performance will cause the MPAA to overlook yet another fantastic film for a best picutre nod[/quote]
A strong box office performance isn't always a prequisite for the Academy to recognize a movie. If a movie (or an actor) is the "flavor of the month" the chances of a nomination increase significantly.
In 1999, The Phantom Menace had a huge box office cume and had superior sound and visual effects to The Matrix yet the latter snagged the awards in both of those categories. Why? Because The Matrix was the in-thing (although it did have good sound and decent special effects).
Look at Julia Roberts win last year. Did she win because she was truly better than the other actresses who were nominated? Nope. Actually, she should not have even been nominated, but she ended up with the trophy because she was the in thing.
If not on its own merit, Memento should be nominated based on default. There has been almost nothing but dreck in the theaters this year. I'm pretty sure this movie was well received by the critics, so we may not be disappointed in seeing a good movie being rewarded.
[Edited last by Tom_G on September 08, 2001 at 08:54 AM]

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Tom G while the Phantom Menace had special effects which were highly technical the effects all looked like crud. The CGI was too cartoonish for a star wars movie.
Aaron

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
quote: Tom G while the Phantom Menace had special effects which were highly technical the effects all looked like crud. The CGI was too cartoonish for a star wars movie.[/quote]
flames.jpg

I don't believe I need to say anything else.
[Edited last by Tom_G on September 09, 2001 at 09:20 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks