Megaforce Baby!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Martin, May 27, 2003.

1. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Aww, that sucks. My urge to upgrade from my PAL disc is greatly diminished now. . . .

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I didn't realize this was out. I'll have to go check it out. Its never on TV and I haven't seen it in 15-20 years. I thought it was the coolest thing ever when it was on HBO back in the day.

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I got my copy from Amazon today. Looks absolutely fantastic upconverted. I saw this first run in theaters when I was a kid......this viewing on dvd will be the first time I watch it in over 25 years!!!!

4. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

MEGAFORCE director Hal Needham is receiving an honorary Oscar...but not for directing the film: http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/09/jeffrey-katzenberg-stuntman-hal-needham-to-receive-honorary-oscars.html

5. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

All I can think of is William Goldman's line about how there are always hopes a movie will be good: "Nobody starts out trying to make Megaforce."

6. Tom M

Tom M Stunt Coordinator

It's been confirmed that the audio for the Megaforce is seriously messed up. The audio is pitched much higher than it should be. It is NOT PAL speedup as the movie runs at it's theatrical running time of 99 mins.
    Hen Tooth says they had nothing to do with the transfer as the master came from Fortune Star but they are looking into the problem.
    I also just wrote to them to let them know that Megaforce was released to theaters with a Dolby Stereo soundtrack (as the end credits bear out) but that the DVD is mono.
    I suspect they will fix the pitch but there may be nothing they can do about the stereo soundtrack as I doubt Fortune Star has it. Hopefully, Hens Tooth will prove me wrong.
    As I just now wrote to them it may be a few days before I get a response. I will update when I do.

7. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    For those interested, there will be a Blu-ray coming from Japan.
    Perhaps the audio issues will be fixed on the Blu.

8. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

Thanks for the tip Jon! Haven't ordered from Japan in years -- too expensive -- but I see a few titles of interest there that are unavailable here on Blu (Red Sun, Memoirs of an Invisible Man...and Steel with Lee Majors!) that will make an order worthwhile.

9. Mike_Richardson

The Dutch DVD I bought a couple of years ago (which had the Fortune Star logos all over it) also had a mono soundtrack. If it's sourced from Fortune Star there's probably nothing they can do about it. And regrettably, whatever label is releasing the film in Japan on Blu-Ray has released Fortune Star titles in the past, so I wouldn't hold out hope that it's in stereo either.
    When MEGAFORCE has played on cable, it had the ITC logo and was in full stereo years ago. Dang it!!

10. Mike_Richardson

Just received the Megaforce Japanese Blu-Ray. Transfer is really good -- despite a fair amount of DNR on it -- but the 5.1 TrueHD track is fake stereo...it's not the real stereo soundtrack of the film...and it's pretty terrible. Guessing it has the same audio issues as the Hens Tooth release because its derived from the same Fortune Star master.
    At least it's (for Japan) a reasonably priced Paramount release. Could've been better, but it's at least superior to the DVD.

11. bobogolgo13

bobogolgo13 Auditioning

Sean
    Thanks for posting that info Mike. I just had the buray in my basket. You just saved me a whole lotta anger and frustration. I'm sorry to hear the audio, and pic are crap. I say crap for pic quality because, despite saying the transfer is really good, you mention there is DNR applied. This is very sad news indeed. I seriosuly doubt this flic will ever get another chance to shine in our home theaters. Despite "correcting" the audio issue.....te Hens Tooth disc still sounds like utter garbage.

This is especially sad because another video company in the US was very interested in acquiring this film for a true remastering for a planned bluray release.....and lost out to Hens Tooth. How that happened, I'll never understand. Apparently, they made it clear they were going to give in such treatment to Fortune Star......these folks don't sound very intelligent if you ask me.