What's new

Mega-Tornament Blow-out: The Best Film of the Last 35 Years. (1 Viewer)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Raiders of the Lost Ark
A Clockwork Orange is a good film, but it doesn't deserve to be in the final round in my opinion.

rhett

Supporting Actor
I come out of A CLOCKWORK ORANGE contemplating life and societal reformation; I come out of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK wanting more popcorn...
A Clockwork Orange

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I wrote:

I read the same book Bergeron does.
You'll pardon me for not quite understanding that stance. Are you saying that you'll always vote for the movie that is more fun? You've never found a serious film to be more enjoyable than a fun one?

And before you accuse me of snobbery, let it be known that I recently purchased and watched the Lifeforce DVD. I'd forgotten what a glorious mess of a movie it is! Stick to chainsaws, Tobe!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
SteveGon said:
You'll pardon me for not quite understanding that stance. Are you saying that you'll always vote for the movie that is more fun? You've never found a serious film to be more enjoyable than a fun one?
Depends. There are certain films that are serious that I find more enjoyable than fun films, although I can't think much beyond maybe The Godfather and The Godfather Part II.
Otherwise, I get more enjoyment mileage out of an extremely well-made fun movie than I will out of an extremely well-made drama movie. However, I do honestly believe that what's fun and what's serious aren't mutually exclusive of one another. The best example I can think of is Citizen Kane.
But if there's one thing I can't stand though, is pretentious artsy movies. Of course, my definition of what's artsy is not quite the same as other folks.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, for myself I always vote for the film I 'enjoy' more. And for me that equals more fun. However, it doesn't mean the less serious movie. I often find the more serious film to be the more fun to watch.

For example

Citizen Kane vs. It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Goodfellas vs. Mr. Hulot's Holiday

I enjoy all of those and have fun watching them all, but in those cases I think the more serious ones are slightly more fun. Hell there are non-serious films I don't enjoy watching and do not consider fun at all.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Let's put poor Stanley Kubrick out of his misery, shall we?
By a vote of 13-6, HTF tourney participant's choice for the
"BEST FILM OF THE LAST 35 YEARS"
is
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Thank goodness these tourneys are completely meaningless and no one cares about or pays attention to them. If they were, "HTF" would rank right up there with "E! Online" and "Yahoo Movies" polls.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
A tourney filled with absurd outcomes, including the final one.

Thanks Vickie!

I dunno about the rest of you, but I find intellectual stimulation to be fun.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the work Vicki—and for picking up the tourney after it was dropped.
Can’t say that I’m surprised about the outcome, and for those who equate ‘best’ with ‘most fun’, it’s a perfect result. ;)
As for me, I can’t really think about the result, as I’m too busy making more popcorn. :D

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I also didn't get to vote for Clockwork, but obviously it didn't matter.

I prefer the "better" film in almost every case (though I was one of those Lebowski over the Godfather voters). Does that mean more serious, no, I think Preston Sturges is one of the 3 or 4 best American directors. I saw Gangs of NY and Catch Me If You Can back to back, and preferred Catch Me by quite a bit. But I would also rather watch something very weighty and heavy, like The Gospel According To St. Matthew or Autumn Sonata, 100 times before watching even light movies I like - Last Starfighter or The Wolfman.

I also think that there are really only a handful of movies that are truly "pretentious" and by far the most of those have emerged from the American "Independent" Cinema. As long as the director is trying to achieve something with the movie and it isn't an obviously crass copy of a better film just so they can get their movie released (and often, unless it's painfully obvious, who am I to even make that judgement?), I give them the benefit of the doubt.

And guess what, fun and foreign are not matter/anti-matter. Kurosawa, Godard, Fassbinder, Truffaut, Powell and Pressburger, Tati, Ozu, Kitano, Kar-Wai, Rohmer, and many, many, many other directors have made thousands of "fun" movies throughout the history of the medium.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Raiders, huh? Ok, whatever. I echo Brook's mini-lecture. Anyway, fun tourney Vicki, thanks for running it so enthusiastically. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks