What's new

Meet Recap: Fox, Paramount, Disney, Deluxe, and Sony (1 Viewer)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Cameron Yee said:

I agree Cameron.

However, I feel that if most of the people commenting on the article were exposed to these VR experiences like we were, the posts would be different.

I for one was completely overwhelmed by them, in particular the SONY one, and can't keep talking about it to colleagues and friends.

I don't have a PS4, but the moment the VR headset for PS4 is available, I'll be first in line to buy it. Even if it only has that "The Walk" demo we saw.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Cameron Yee said:
I recently had to find a replacement for my plasma TV and took the approach of viewing anything I get now as a stop gap for when OLED becomes affordable. After seeing the high dynamic range (HDR) demos, that approach was reaffirmed. OLED was on my radar, but not HDR, so I see the combo of the two as a one-two punch for the quality black levels and contrast we enthusiasts all long for. Now it's just a matter of waiting...

I agree completely. I was so impressed with the HDR demo at Fox which, as I said after we finished, made me want to come home and pitch my TV right out the back door. I am waiting for the right size and style of TV (not really into curved screens) to come my way in the nextg couple of years. Hopefully, I can find just what I want by then.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As for the week as a whole, I really felt like EVERY studio this time out was committed to making our experience with them special and unique, and each of them managed to bring new things to the table which we weren't exposed to at the last meet. I greatly appreciated the food and camaraderie the studio personnel provided for us during the week. Really made me feel like they wanted us to be there and to have a good time. And I DID!

I LOVED finally getting to walk around Fox (we didn't get to three years ago) and actually see the lot. Sony was an eye-opener since that wasn't on the agenda three years ago, and the tour of the lot was very enjoyable. Great to get to see Technicolor, too, since that didn't seem to be on the agenda three years ago.

And the entertainment each evening was really wonderful, too, from demonstrations and presentations to movie nights. This was a wonderful week with amigos who share a love of films, television, and technology, and this meet is unique in offering folks rare glimpses into those worlds.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I just found this thread and it makes me regret again that I couldn't make it to Hollywood this year.

I suspect that this thread would have attracted more comments if it was one of the featured threads on the home page. It could take the place of the Scary Movie Challenge, since the contest ended more than a week ago. Just a thought.

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
My user ID is a clever riddle!
Richard Gallagher said:
I just found this thread and it makes me regret again that I couldn't make it to Hollywood this year.

I suspect that this thread would have attracted more comments if it was one of the featured threads on the home page. It could take the place of the Scary Movie Challenge, since the contest ended more than a week ago. Just a thought.
Stop making sense!

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Well, I'm rather envious of the members who were able to go, especially as I doubt I would be able to ever do something like this myself. :)

There was something I did wonder, though. Since Mr. Dunn made such an overture to you all, were you able to advocate for Fox/MGM catalog titles on UHD BD at all?

I notice that most or all of the demonstrations utilized very recent films, and I'm curious how many of the recently done 4K masters would be suitable for UHD BD. Is it all of them, in theory, or are there components that need to be added to a "standard" 4K mastering project to make it meet all of the base UHD BD specifications?

For example, was the subject broached of even the most popular catalog, like (at least the 60s) Bond films, or the recently remastered version of The Terminator, or anything else that was made in the 20th century, coming to UHD BD from Fox?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
McCrutchy said:
Well, I'm rather envious of the members who were able to go, especially as I doubt I would be able to ever do something like this myself. :)

There was something I did wonder, though. Since Mr. Dunn made such an overture to you all, were you able to advocate for Fox/MGM catalog titles on UHD BD at all?

I notice that most or all of the demonstrations utilized very recent films, and I'm curious how many of the recently done 4K masters would be suitable for UHD BD. Is it all of them, in theory, or are there components that need to be added to a "standard" 4K mastering project to make it meet all of the base UHD BD specifications?

For example, was the subject broached of even the most popular catalog, like (at least the 60s) Bond films, or the recently remastered version of The Terminator, or anything else that was made in the 20th century, coming to UHD BD from Fox?

Speaking just for myself, I don't think I would want them. In theory any 4K scan should be able to be released on UHD. The issue is I don't think anyone would be able to tell. During the meet I talked to an executive from another studio who in response to film makers pushing to have their titles released in 4k/UHD had them come in and played 4K and BD side by side and no one was able to tell the difference. Mike Dunn even told us that he can't tell the difference. Enter HDR. When you take the 4K master and add HDR to it, now there is a dramatic increase in color and brightness and that is where you see the huge improvement over Blu-ray. The thing is you are essentially re-coloring the film, and that is a job that requires the filmmaker to do properly. You don't have that available for a lot of older films. Because you need HDR to really get the improvement, Fox at this point has only announced releases that will include HDR. The oldest catalog title they mentioned scheduled to get this treatment so far is Independence Day.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Doubt anyone asked one of the numerous Par middle managers who sat with HTFers for lunch but I am very curious as to why so few titles have been released by Warner under the auspices of the Par deal with Warner (wherein Par licensed 600 catalog titles to WHV back in I think 2012).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Paul.S said:
Doubt anyone asked one of the numerous Par middle managers who sat with HTFers for lunch but I am very curious as to why so few titles have been released by Warner under the auspices of the Par deal with Warner (wherein Par licensed 600 catalog titles to WHV back in I think 2012).

I didn't ask this time, but asked about the deal last time, and its a pretty complicated deal. I think the number of Blu-rays they could release was a lot fewer (100?).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
bench (1).jpg

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Thank god I won't have this camera I took these pictures with.
I was using such an old NON DSLR camera.
On the next one I'll be bringing two DSLR's

DSCN3338.jpg
DSCN3337.jpg

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
More pictures I found while searching my cloud.
Don't think I've shared these yet.
FB_IMG_1498948770292.jpg
FB_IMG_1498948781498.jpg

Real Name
Jeff Hutchison
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. The photos look great. I've done a few studio tours (WB, Paramount, Sony, and Universal) but it looks like your group sees so much more. I'd love to be part of a future get together.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
It's kind of fun looking back at some of our thoughts and opinions about VR and HDR from this trip now that both are out in full force.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks