Meet Me In St. Louis / Easter Parade - Judy Garland?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Andrew Budgell, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I have just finished reading Warner's now-September DVD slate and while I am excited about such DVDs as the 1949 version of "Little Women" starring Elizabeth Taylor, I am dissapointed that they neglected Judy Garland. Wasn't "Meet Me In St. Louis" and "Easter Parade" supposed to be released this year? It's said that another Easter is almost here, and I have to watch my crappy video.

Andy

2. Kelly V

Kelly V Stunt Coordinator

I work at a video store in St Louis and I can tell you,
    the people here are MAD! I get more grousing every holiday season about these two titles - especially MMISL - than I get about the long register lines. Do the studios not understand how many seniors and mainstreamers have embraced DVD? If my seniors have to go another Christmas without their Judy Garland, I'm gonna have to brush up on my CPR skills!
    We really want our Meet Me in St Louis in St Louis![​IMG]

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I want it badly too! Fortunately I have the CAV Laserdisc version which is very nice. But a top notch DVD with extras & a commentary would be amazing.

P.S. Where did you see the Warners Sept slate?

4. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

It has been mentioned several times here and on other websites that both MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS and EASTER PARADE are undergoing extensive restoration, which take a great deal of time (and money) to complete. I think it's likely they will be getting the deluxe treatment Warner Brothers recently lavished on SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. Well worth waiting for, IMHO.[​IMG]

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Warner chat on 4/22/03, somebody needs to ask about these titles.

6. BBbrowd

BBbrowd Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    It is really great news to hear that both films are receiving restorations. I was surprised but very happy that "the Harvey Girls" was released on DVD even before "Easter Parade" or "Meet Me". The Harvey Girls picture quality is so amazing. Just wish the sound would have been "bigger".

There is so much of the Garland catalog that deserves quality DVD releases. It really does leave me dumb struck that so much trash gets released on DVD, and the great films stay tucked away. I guess I just don't want to admit to myself what is most popular in today's culture.

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Both are certainly very high on my wish list.

8. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Whenevr Warners doesnt want to bother to release something, they automatically sayit needs restoration. These two films had technicolor restorations done for laserdisc just a few years ago. How many times do they have to be restored?

9. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I am very anxious to have Meet Me In St Louis...was hoping that it would be this year...Then again, it still can happen I quess in the fall or winter...

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

11. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN was given a "technicolor restoration" for laserdisc, and the results of that old transfer pale (quite literally) in comparison to WB's latest DVD. It's certainly promising that they would want to do the same kind of first-class upgrade on the 2 Garland classics.

To insinuate that Warner has no interest in these titles is laughable. Both films been hugely successful in all media (including video) for years. WB indicated during the last chat that they were "in the works", and it would be foolish to assume that this is still not the case. The company's most recent schedule announcement proves they certainly are gearing up for a more aggressive release schedule of older titles.

As Mr. Crawford wisely suggests, someone should indeed bring this up during next week's chat with WB.

12. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I agree, i dont understand the release of
    some of the lesserknown or lesser requested titles
    being released first.

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME? ANCHORS AWEIGH?
    1949 LITTLE WOMEN?

I admit i am biased (and i like those films) but...
    before MEET ME IN ST LOUIS?

The Laser box set of MMISL
    had great extras.
    I hope the dvd is done in a similar fashion.

13. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Warner Bros. Seems to follow as strick schedule when it comes to releasing musical films: twice a year - April and October.

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers films are rumored also "Finain's Rainbow" So like the Cole Porter promotion this April we should see a Fred Astarie promotion in October. Maybe "Meet Me in St Louis" will be released then also, if not, I guess you will have to wait until next spring for the next possible release.

Apparently musical films only sell in April and October since that seems to be the months most have been released.

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

15. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Next year is St. Louis' 60th Anniversary, so maybe....of course this year is Easter Parade's 55th and no release. [​IMG]

16. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Also seems that August is the only month to release horror films (in time for Halloween?) Westerns also seem to be limited to April/May

17. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Yet another consumer patiently awaiting these titles...and confident that Warner will do them justice in full restored glory...my MMISL laser will have to do for now...

Hey Chuck,

I noticed your "peanuts movie" wish list. That "Snoopy come home" movie brought TEARS to my eyes as a little kid. I still get chocked up when I think of that them song: "Snnoooopy, Snoooopy, Snoopy Snoopy come home...come home..."

[​IMG]

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

19. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Warner did a great job on A Star Is Born and other Garland films so at least there's some available, though I too wish it wasn't taking so long for Meet Me In St. Louis.

Somebody needs to ask why Warner isn't releasing any James Cagney movies. I want Yankee Doodle Dandy even more than Meet Me.

20. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor