Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Brandon Conway said:
Hugo was that film for me.
I really like Hugo as a movie, but I don't recall the 3D as being mindblowing throughout. I remember the opening shot being glorious, but not as much about the rest of the film. But I own it and will definitely be watching it again (haven't seen it for at least a year), so I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Matt Hough said:
Of course, there are several DreamWorks animation titles which have used the medium expertly.
The few that I've seen were pretty good in that regard as well. I watched a whole bunch of animated 3D features when I first got my 3D TV... I think I may have just reached my fill of that genre for a while. Definitely more pronounced than, say, the Disney/Pixar 3D films I've seen. I thought the Despicable Me movies (from Universal) also did a good job with 3D.

Paul Hillenbrand said:
Very sad. :( Bryan Singer did excellent native 3D on Jack The Giant Slayer. Great realism for the 3D cinematography, even taking advantage of increasing camera intra-axial distance for the stereo miniaturization effect of the towns people when the Giants were present.
icon_cool.gif
A great contemporary live-action native 3D style!
Agreed. I wish there was more of that on display in X-Men Days Of Future Past. I wonder what it's like in 2D. Often, if I see a movie in 3D but my friends end up seeing it in 2D, they'll come to me and say "How was [scene X] with the 3D effects? I bet they looked really cool" just based on how the 2D seemed to be a restrained version of the 3D, where it's obvious where they'd use a lot of cool 3D work. In this movie, I almost wouldn't be shocked if there weren't a lot of those moments apparent in the 2D version. I wish Singer had been more adventerous on that front, but at least based on the interview I read, it sounds like he's grown tired of the 3D medium.

Don't get me wrong -- if you're planning on seeing Days Of Future Past, I still recommend seeing it in 3D. Even when it's not doing a lot to show off, just the look of people and places seems more naturalistic than the 2D conversions usually do, and that's a nice change. I was just a little surprised at how relatively flat the movie looked for long portions of its running time. I also saw it on a smaller screen than I usually would have, since it didn't get an IMAX release, and wound up sitting a little further from the screen than I would have liked. I'm going to try to see it again in one of those so-called "premium large format" IMAX wannabe theaters, and maybe it'll pop more there.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Matt Hough said:
Me, too. It has come the closest of the modern 3D live action films to using the medium to optimum advantage.

Of course, there are several DreamWorks animation titles which have used the medium expertly.
Agreed with Dreamworks but when it comes to animation i have three words for you......A Turtles Tale.

I still haven't settled down and watched Hugo despite owning it for over a year but Flying Swords Of Dragon's Gate has depth that most Hollywood films don't even come close to matching and i thought Journey To The Center Of The Earth had it's moments.

As for Marvel films, i have only watched Iron Man and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television series, i own Iron Man 2 and 3, Thor, Captain America ( 3D ) and The Avengers but haven't watched them yet, i took the decision to buy Iron Man 3, Thor and The Avengers in 2D because my gut says they will be better served by watching them in 2D, i took the same decision with Man Of Steel and Star Trek Into Darkness, i'm not that interested in watching 3D conversions, i made an exception for Gravity and Piranha.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I believe A Turtle's Tale is unfortunately not available in a Region A edition, and I don't have a region free player yet. If there's a region A or region-free version I don't know about, I'd definitely check it out. Otherwise I'm hoping to upgrade to a region free player later in the year, and will definitely take a look at it then. I've heard too many raves not to.

Forgot about "Journey to the Center of the Earth" - I thought that had great use of 3D. First time I saw that was actually on the anaglyph encoded Blu-ray, and that helped spark my renewed interest in 3D. It's a shame that the effort put into that film hasn't been matched very often. Even "Journey 2" which is an amusing ltitle film, doesn't have anywhere near the 3D impact of the original.

I like the 3D on the Marvel movies, but it's not the best.. it kinda emphasizes a lot of different planes, with there being a foreground and background, and not so much the full range of depth. It kinda feels comic-booky, for lack of a better description. I think "The Avengers" had the best 3D of any of their films. That might be because they fully intended to shoot it in 3D, until McGarvey's two hours with the 3D camera convinced him all 3D was bad. So I think the 3D look of it had already been planned. Whereas, with "Iron Man 3" for example, that wasn't really planned for 3D and the studio didn't even announce they were going to do a 3D release until filming was almost or entirely completed. It has some decent 3D moments but it doesn't really play as a 3D movie.

I liked the "Star Trek Into Darkness" 3D conversion, although I think the IMAX sequences were more effective at making it seem larger than life than the actual 3D part was. I'm pretty sure that was planned for 3D release despite being shot in 2D. As an example of this planning, I read that for every shot and camera move done on set in the film, they also did a take without the actors and just the camera filming the set or doing the camera move, so that the conversion team had reference footage of what that space looked like without the actors, which made it easier for them to do their 3D planning and conversion.

I thought the "Man of Steel" conversion was surprisingly good. Not the very best I've ever seen, but I felt a real sense of depth throughout most of the film, and despite the shaky-cam style of cinematography, I never felt sick.

"Gravity" is a weird case... the CGI, which is 90% of the film, was all rendered in 3D, so it's just the live action photography that was post-converted. So little of that movie was actually shot that I wonder if "Best Cinematography" was the right award for it to win. The only thing that actually went before a lens in the movie is Clooney and Bullock's faces in all of their space scenes, and Bullock inside the capsule. Inside the space station in the middle of the film, I believe the entire environment is CGI, and that depending on the shot, it's either Bullock's real head on a CGI body, or Bullock on wires against greenscreen. And the few moments at the end of the film (I'm not even sure if it's an entire minute's worth) were shot in 70mm. It seems crazy to me that it was "impossible" (as the filmmakers have claimed) to have captured those moments with 3D cameras.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brandon Conway said:
The Warner Bros release of Turtles Tale is open region (as are all Warner titles on Blu-ray)Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
It's a Studio Canal release, are you saying there is a Warner Bros version somewhere in the world. ?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Did anyone spot this piece of nonsense? earlier this month.

Newspaper article headlined this.

Was the Mona Lisa the world's first 3D artwork?
Experts claim painter Leonardo Da Vinci created two versions of the world famous portrait as part of a science project.
The two versions when viewed next to one another creates the impression of depth, according to German Art experts.

mona lisa.jpg

:blink:
Doug.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Salvador Dali was the man to see for 3D paintings. He really did create pairs of paintings which were meant viewed through a stereoscope.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Josh Steinberg said:
I believe A Turtle's Tale is unfortunately not available in a Region A edition, and I don't have a region free player yet. If there's a region A or region-free version I don't know about, I'd definitely check it out. Otherwise I'm hoping to upgrade to a region free player later in the year, and will definitely take a look at it then. I've heard too many raves not to.
It's LITERALLY reached the point of myth, and the reality's a bit short--The myth started back in the post-Avatar days when it seemed like there were no US studios playing with pop-out, so we wanted some "underdog" movie to come out of nowhere and show them "how to do it".
Five years later, Dreamworks builds all their movies around throwing as much at us as possible, and folks still say "Where can I buy this mysterious industry-changing Turtle movie?" It's true, we could still use more pop-out, but at least we now we're all a little older and wiser and have more of a domestic source for it.

And also for five years, we've been telling the Faithful--who want to prove they're faithful by going out and paying $20 of import charges on top of the disk price--that they can find the 3D version for rent on Vudu and Playstation Network, for $6-7 each.
And after you see it....you'll know why I recommended the rental sources.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ejanss said:
It's LITERALLY reached the point of myth, and the reality's a bit short--
I don't know what movie you saw but A Turtles Tale has great depth to it's scenes and great pop out, the story is okay too but you need to be in the mood for it, it's a light hearted movie, the reality is that it has far and away the best 3D i have ever seen and i have seen a lot of 3D content. the myth is true, believe it, the 3D really is that good, especially if you view via projection and DLP.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
FoxyMulder said:
I don't know what movie you saw but A Turtles Tale has great depth to it's scenes and great pop out, the story is okay too but you need to be in the mood for it, it's a light hearted movie, the reality is that it has far and away the best 3D i have ever seen and i have seen a lot of 3D content. the myth is true, believe it, the 3D really is that good, especially if you view via projection and DLP.
It's good, yes (well, the 3D is, the movie isn't)--The "myth" part is, five years later, it's not the ONLY Good out there anymore.
Yeah, used to be, but we've changed a bit since then.
And again, we no longer need "worship" the myth with great sacrificial acts of import disks, when you can get it streaming/download for six bucks American.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ejanss said:
It's good, yes (well, the 3D is, the movie isn't)--The "myth" part is, five years later, it's not the ONLY Good out there anymore.
Yeah, used to be, but we've changed a bit since then.
And again, we no longer need "worship" the myth with great sacrificial acts of import disks, when you can get it streaming/download for six bucks American.
It was never the only good 3D film, no one said it was, i happen to think Madagascar 3 features some excellent fun 3D and is a better movie but A Turtles Tale judged purely on it's use of 3D is still the best one out there, as for the movie, well i liked it quite a bit when i first saw it, very entertaining, streaming 3D content is never going to get you the best possible quality, anyone who wants quality and loves 3D would buy a blu ray disc over streaming any day of the week.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Dick said:
Bob, how many issues of that magazine were published? I assume it only lasted a year or so -- I'd never heard of it before.
I have a similar UK magazine featuring the exotic Laya Raki. There's also one featuring the somewhat less exotic Diana Dors.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
StephenDH said:
I have a similar UK magazine featuring the exotic Laya Raki. There's also one featuring the somewhat less exotic Diana Dors.
Didn't know who she was but I found this when I looked her up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 45

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I remember seeing a lot of Laya during the fifties. :wub:
I was always envious of Ron Randell (Kiss Me Kate) who was married to her at the time.
So he made a 3D movie while she only appeared in 3D glamour shoots.

laya3d.jpg

Doug.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks