What's new

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Not sure if this informative news clip belongs here or on the aspect ratio thread.
Anyway for better or worse here it is.

It's Interesting that "Young Bess" was MGM's first Wide Screen release here in OZ.

youngbess.jpg

The above mentioned sound system for non 3D films was obviously Perspecta, which of course was not really Stereophonic.

Doug.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks Doug but the sound system was 3 channel magnetic interlock. Perspecta optical sound would not be introduced until the fall of 1954.

I suspect this clipping is from the summer of 1953?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Bob Furmanek said:
Thanks Doug but the sound system was 3 channel magnetic interlock. Perspecta optical sound would not be introduced until the fall of 1954.

I suspect this clipping is from the summer of 1953?
Thanks Bob,
Yes you are right, I think that the clipping is from mid 1953. (our winter, your summer)

Surely the 3 channel magnetic interlock was only used for 3D screenings.
If that was the case then they would have only used it with "Kiss Me Kate" and "Arena"

I guess they just used Optical Mono for normal releases until Perspeca came on the scene.
Does that sound possible?

I've been told that for some strange, inexplicable reason MGM 4 track magnetic stereo prints were never imported to Australia during the Cinemascope era, yet I'm told that our smaller neighbour New Zealand did get them. :wacko:

One of Melbourne's Metro theatres was chosen to run 70mm but they found that the Projection box was too small, so they installed 4 track magnetic sound there instead.
The first MGM 35mm movie finally shown in 4 track Mag Stereo in Melbourne was "JUMBO"
I was there and can still remember the truly impressive sound.

Doug.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Doug Bull said:
Audrey Totter was a very underrated actress.
I always enjoyed her work.

At least MGM thought Audrey important enough as to always feature her in their "More Stars than in Heaven" closing sequences in the "Romance Of Celluloid" Studio promotional series of short subjects.

Here's a small newspaper ad for Man in the Dark.
attachicon.gif
mandark3d.jpg
That would be cool if "Spooks" would be included with the "Man in the Dark" Blu-ray 3D but, thats probably not going to happen.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Bob Furmanek said:
Doug, there were a LOT of non-3D stereophonic releases in 1953.
ARENA was mono only.
Thanks Bob,
You are always a wealth of most valuable and interesting information.

Fancy "Arena" being mono, wow that's incredible seeing they had just done "Kiss Me Kate" in Stereo.(interlocked?)
I wonder why? Maybe they didn't think it would do any good at the box office, so why go the expense.

Which brings into question as to why Metro would go to the trouble and expense of fitting their Cinemas here for Stereo in 1953.
I'm thinking, maybe it didn't eventuate.
I saw "Kiss Me Kate" here in 3D, but now I have to wonder, was it in Stereo? It most likely was, but I truly don't remember.

Looks like a new research project for me. :)

Doug.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
ARENA was in the can about 5 months before KATE. That's why it was mono only. Not many releases were stereo in June, 1953.

Some of the 3-channel stereo interlock MGM titles (before they adopted optical Perspecta) include Young Bess, Mogambo, Torch Song, Take the High Ground, All the Brothers Were Valiant, Kiss Me Kate, Escape from Fort Bravo, Easy to Love, Saadia, The Long Long Trailer, and Rhapsody.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Bob Furmanek said:
ARENA was in the can about 5 months before KATE. That's why it was mono only. Not many releases were stereo in June, 1953.

Some of the 3-channel stereo interlock MGM titles (before they adopted optical Perspecta) include Young Bess, Mogambo, Torch Song, Take the High Ground, All the Brothers Were Valiant, Kiss Me Kate, Escape from Fort Bravo, Easy to Love, Saadia, The Long Long Trailer, and Rhapsody.
Oh Bob, how can I compete?
You are amazing mate.

To me, that is the most exciting Movie information I have received in ages.

Other than "Sadia", "Torch Song" and "Rhapsody" I saw all of the others at one or the other two City based MGM Cinemas.

If that new Stereo sound system was installed then I may have experienced them all in Stereo. Wow! Gosh, shame is that I don't remember.
Going by that news clip then "Young Bess" would have been the first cab off the rank.

It's also interesting because somewhere along the way I heard excerpts from "Easy To Love" in Stereo. (Was it one of the "That's Entertainment" films)

This has really wet my appetite to find out more about 3 channel stereo interlock.

Again, thanks so much.

Doug.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
RolandL said:
That would be cool if "Spooks" would be included with the "Man in the Dark" Blu-ray 3D but, thats probably not going to happen.
Probably not with this release, but maybe Sony (or someone) will bring us THE MAD MAGICIAN on Blu-ray and it (and the other Stooges 3-D short) could be included on that. It would actually make a pretty good match.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Bob Furmanek said:
DIAL M looks great on my display.

Time to get a new set with proper cancellation properties, Jeff!
It's a trade-off... do you want a set with deep velvet blacks and stunning colors that happens to falter on a handful of 3-D titles (as my plasma does), or do you want a set that delivers 3-D with no ghosting for the relatively few 3-D movies you own as opposed to 2-D ones, but without that gorgeous black level? Wish we could have it all, but so far, we can't (not in my price range, anyway). For now, I'll just have to suffer the disappointment of DIAL M until I can afford to have two large-screen sets in here (not likely anytime soon!)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Dick said:
Probably not with this release, but maybe Sony (or someone) will bring us THE MAD MAGICIAN on Blu-ray and it (and the other Stooges 3-D short) could be included on that. It would actually make a pretty good match.
They are all B&W so they have that in common.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Black and white, 3-D and widescreen too!

If I were making the call, I would do what was done in 1953: add SPOOKS to the end of FORT TI which was the intent during production. That way, the gag with the Shemp bat and the Fort Ticonderoga reference will make more sense.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Matt Hough said:
2014 can't come fast enough!
Careful, Matt -- don't wish your life away for a few Blu-ray releases. Enjoy every minute from now to then and be glad if it seems like a very long time. When you get to be my age (64) you will see this differently. I can hardly wait for a bunch of upcoming titles, but I'd gladly trade them all in for a few months added to the end of my life.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Dick said:
Careful, Matt -- don't wish your life away for a few Blu-ray releases. Enjoy every minute from now to then and be glad if it seems like a very long time. When you get to be my age (64) you will see this differently. I can hardly wait for a bunch of upcoming titles, but I'd gladly trade them all in for a few months added to the end of my life.
Um...., I am your age.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks