What's new

Medulla (1 Viewer)

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
OK, does anyone know where to buy the DVD-A in the US? preferrably the one with the doc. I can't find it online anywhere except amazon UK. Has it not been released in US yet?

Mr. St. Clair, the disc has both PAL & NTSC in 16:9 (group 6). The visual quality of the video is nothing to write home about - but it's not bad.

tony m

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Nope. Maybe we'll have a DualDisc eventually, but if you are in a hurry, import.

$21 shipped from Amazon UK is not bad.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
So is it confirmed that there is no DVD-A or SA-CD in the US? I picked up the limited version of the album at Best Buy, but nothing on it regarding SA-CD, so I haven't bought it yet.
I'm sick of double-dipping music titles that I know are already masterred for SA-CD.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
John,

No DVD-A in the USA yet (waiting for DualDisc? Who knows). SACD, probably never, ever.

I'm listening to the DVD-A's lossless 16/48 PCM stereo at work and it sounds great, much better than Vespertine. I'm on the second listen and at least some of the songs are really growing on me.

I'll listen to the high-res some tonite.

For $21 shipped, I think getting these discs from the UK is just fine. The DVD-A sure is a sweet package with lossless stereo, DD surround, DTS surround, high-res stereo, high-res surround, and a 45-minute documentary. Glad I didn't buy the CD.

AricB

Second Unit
michael st clair,
who are you ordering from for UK discs? 21 shipped sounds reasonable to me. nevermind, amazon UK, missed that first time through. does that seem like the best place for ordering uk discs?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm semi format agnostic. I've purchased both SA-CD material (Sting, Pink Floyd), and DVD-A material (Vespertine, Crystal Method), but when it comes to a release that covers all options, I tend towards SA-CD specifically because of the ability to play it in my car as well as my home theater.

Is there a reason why you'd encourage the DVD-A release over the SA-CD release?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Aric,

I've ordered from others but I like Amazon.

John,

I like DVD-A because I can listen to the lossy tracks at a friend's house and in the car. I also like the documentary on this disc (I watched half of it at lunch...nice interview content). Also, the album appears to have been recorded in PCM and I'm not a big believer in SACD (or PCM upsampling) 'improving' PCM mixes.

That said, if the DVD-A wasn't available I'd buy the SACD in a heartbeat and be happy. I doubt you can really go wrong either way.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
(I posted similar info on Audio Asylum - sorry for the repetition)

I received mine from amazon.co.uk yesterday. On first listen, it sounds warmer and less harsh than the Vespertine SACD. I attribute that to the recording/mixing, because the Vespertine redbook was harsh too.

The music's certainly interesting. Some of the choral or background vocals reminded me of Kate Bush, in that each vocal part has a distinct tonal color.

Has anyone noticed that both Vespertine and Medulla have much higher gain than other SACDs? I have to turn them way down compared to other rock or classical SACDs. I notice Diana Krall's are similarly loud.

Regards,
Doug

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I quite like this album. I'm expecting that her next one (apparently due sooner rather than later) will probably feature semi-conventional instrumentation again, but MEDULLA is enjoyable, confounding, fascinating...

I bought the Hybrid SACD, out all over the place down here in Oz. I'm looking forward to the SACD's of her earlier stuff too.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
At this moment, the DVD-A is outselling the SACD at Amazon UK.

This flies in the face of all of the 'truths' that we are told by insider 'experts' about DVD-A and SACD.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Man, I am loving this album. I haven't listened to anything else since it arrived last Thursday!

For a Pro Tools concoction, it sounds great (I'm talking about the SACD version), and the surround mix seems to perfectly suit the music... though I've yet to listen to the two-channel!*

*And before you say "and you never will", I actually tend to prefer the two-channel track for "Yoshimi" these days. It started with my lack of fondness for the "Fight Test" surround mix, and after hearing how much better it sounded to me in stereo, I let the whole disc play out that way. Certainly doesn't "replace" the surround mix for me, but right now it's my preferred version!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks