What's new

Medium Season 5 (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I just had to write in about tonight's Medium episode. The ending to it was just so perfect I couldn't believe it. This season is off to a good start.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a strange episode, but I agree the last 5 minutes were nearly perfect. Medium meets Ghost Whisperer meets Leverage. Hysterical.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I stopped watching Ghost Whisperer in 2007. OTOH, Medium has grabbed me from the first episode. Although somewhat similar, I think GW is more of a one-trick-pony whereas Medium has richer and more varied plots.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Nice episode.

The ending even blended in a touch of "My Name is Earl". Karma truly is a bitch.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
This week's episode was of a more gray moral territory. Humorously, just a couple of weeks ago on another forum several people were discussing how sleep deprived Joe is and we get an episode addressing that very subject.

mylan

Screenwriter
My wife and I have watched every episode of Medium and have enjoyed most of them, however, this last episode just left us kind of in a funk.
Allison has gone from dreaming about the crime to taking on someone else's soul to solve the mysteries, the week before that she's building a bomb and cannot stop herself, WTF??
It was my wife who announced that the show was becoming stale, lets see, each week Allison is going to have a series of dreams and/or out of body experiences, Poor Joe is not going to sleep very well..again, Scanlen and the DA are going to doubt something she is trying to tell them (come on you two, you know Allison by now!), and one or more of the kids is having an issue. Did I leave anything out?

I was digging the storyline involving Joe's vision for a product and had hoped that would play out better and Allisons's consulting gig with Angelica Houston's missing persons business was also promising.
I don't know, its gone from must see to don't care if we fall asleep and it makes me sad really and from the post count, I am not alone.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was really wondering where they were going in last night's episode. While watching Allison in the past, I "knew" that she couldn't change the past as she was attempting to do so. She was interacting with people that we know she hadn't interacted with at the time and which would have changed her life later. I had originally thought she was going to do something that wouldn't mess everything up.

In any case, the whole thing was a dream which contained dreams within the dream. From that she was able to work things out with her daughter and also get the right person convicted 5 years after the fact. I still have to wonder about the dream of Joe driving in the rain, though. Maybe that was a sign that the whole thing was going to be a dream?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Monday night's episode had its share of surprises. I knew the stock pick was going to backfire somehow, but for some reason I didn't think the rest of the dream was also altered. I was surprised that the next dream was so blatantly wrong, but that nutjob still had some screws loose even as a dead spirit and just had to taunt Allison.

Even though I remember seeing the wall of images of Allison in the preview, it still didn't prepare me for them seeing it. Quite a shocking episode in all. I tried to watch the people entering the house again, but I couldn't identify anyone as the nutjob.

By the way, on wikipedia it looks like there are new episodes through the first week of June with two episodes on May 4 (starting at 9 PM).

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
First off, on last week's episode I was anticipating some help from the other spirits and I was happy to see it resolved the way it was. Allison needed to ask for help and then they helped take care of the bad guy in order to resolve things. The only thing that didn't seem to sit right is that he had already affected so many people.

As far as this week's two hour episode, we knew right from the scene before the credits that if Allison took the job there could be consequences related to the serial killer. What I don't understand is why she couldn't have taken precautions. She could have insisted on having a lawyer look at her contract and inserting some verbiage related to criminal investigations. We now know that would probably have meant that they wouldn't have hired her, but she should have thought things out. It appears that the primary reason she was hired was to protect Justin.

How is she going to get out of her predicament and not end up in a much worst situation than she was at the beginning of the story? I think her daughter's dreams will be the solution. While her visions about her drowned friend don't seem related, the new one probably is connected. Her substitute teacher might be Justin's next victim. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Two new episodes next week and then one each of the following two weeks.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
And, Medium was just renewed for next season, so we have at least one more year of quality drama to look forward to! :emoji_thumbsup:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the second episode from last night, but did see the first one and what did I say last week?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I'm glad to see I can predict some things.

One strange line for the episode was Allison complaining along the lines of "I am some psychic, how come I didn't see this coming?" wrt her being in a bad situation working for Lydecker. She did see it coming - her dreams of dead bodies mixed in with new luxury. She just didn't pay attention to the warnings.

I was surprised not only that Lydecker, Sr. was killed, but that Caitlyn predicted it and let it happen. Some "psychic" she was, she should have known better than to proceed on this path with Allison there.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Nice resolution to the three episode Lydecker story arc! There were enough twists and turns along the way to keep it interesting. The only thing that bugged me a bit is that they rushed the conclusion (as they often do on this show) and literally one second after Ariel tells Allison about her dream we cut to news footage of the police taking Justin into custody.

On the other hand, "The Man In the Mirror," last night's second episode, was an instant CLASSIC! Jeffry Tambor was in absolute top form as Allison's vessel (so to speak.) The scenes between Weber and Tambor in the Dubois house were priceless! I'm amazed at how well they managed to carry off what is essentially a non-Allison episode of Medium. I hope we get to see "Uncle Todd" again somewhere down the line.

Speaking of which... It looks like Anjelica Huston returns as Cynthia Keener next week.
I am really enjoying the heck out of season five!

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I love Medium. I enjoy the episodes where Allison's dreams lead to the perp. But I thought the episodes where she and Tambor switched bodies and where an evil ghost makes her dream the wrong dreams were terrible.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The Anjelica Huston return as Cynthia Keener worked out quite nicely last night. It was an interesting episode. I am not sure that they completely played fair with us, though. I could have sworn there were shots of the guy's hand where we should have seen the scar, but didn't see it. It could be that it was angled "just so" but I think the hand make-up was only on for the closeup reveals.

Now, just how will Joe's job go wrong this time around? I think there are two more episodes left in the season.

There are rumors that CBS might want to move the show to their network and show it Friday evenings. I guess we'll find out more this week.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Good. I sincerely hope they do!

Wasn't it just announced three or four weeks ago that NBC had given Medium a 13 episode pickup for next season? If this does turn out to be CBS to the rescue, maybe we'll get a full 22 episode commitment out of them.

More often than not, when a program swaps networks like this, it'll stick around for one more season before the plug is eventually pulled. But sometimes, like J*A*G for instance, a program will roll along for several more seasons and actually become a bigger hit for its new network, than it ever was for the old one. I think Medium has everything it takes to do just that. All CBS has to do is stick it in a Friday night birth adjacent to The Ghost Whisperer and stand back. Or, pair it with The Mentalist... Now that would be a trip! Plus, with the new "Joe in California" storyline, CBS has a readymade vehicle in place to re-tool the program if they desire, without alienating current fans. The family could move to San Diego where Allison gets set up with a new DA's office. It would create an entirely new backdrop for the show and open up lots of new story possibilities.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
According to Zap2It, Medium...IMO, by CBS moving a powerhouse performer like The Mentalist to 10 PM, they clearly see an opportunity to capitalize on NBC's new five-night-a-week Jay Leno strategy. I like Jay, but it is going to be an uphill battle for him in this new timeslot. Over the long haul it may work out, but in the short term, I think it will be bloody.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The move by CBS was predicted and I'm glad to see it. I watched a few episodes of Ghost Whisperer when it started and was thinking it might be something like Medium but was completely disappointed. It will be interesting to see what any Ghost Whisperer fans might think of Medium if they are trying it for the first time next season.

That' an interesting move for The Mentalist. At the moment there isn't anything else I'm interested in on Thursday at 10 PM.

Stan

Senior HTF Member

Maybe CBS will re-tool the show a bit and have him move to San Diego, then just the occasional phone call to Allison and the girls.

Love the show overall, but his character and the constant ups & downs with his job have become way to annoying. He seems to very rarely have anything positive to contribute, just a big whiner to play off Allison.

It would be nice to see Angelica Houston come back, looks like they left that door open last night. Then maybe a little more time with the two older daughters as they learn how to deal with their "talent". The show would be just fine without Joe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks