What's new

'Meanest mom on planet' sells son's car (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
He'll be "marginalized" only if he doesn't change and demonstrates responsibility (such as not getting a DUI arrest or killing someone on the road). I think people would hire a kid who said "Yes, I made a stupid mistake in judgement, and I'll never do such a shameful thing again" instead of a kid who said "It's all my mom's fault for being such a bitch, and I didn't really do anything wrong anyway".

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

Possibly, although that probably depends heavily upon his community. I've been places where that would not be the case. I've seen other places where I have no doubt it would.

By the way, it's amazingly hypocritical for today's parents to judge children harshly for having or using booze considering their past. I grew up at a transition point. When I was younger, you could do whatever you wanted. If the police caught you drunk, they'd often drive you home. Now, if you drank three beers and drove, you're a bigger criminal than Stalin.

Granted, people die on the highway when drunk. I've known people who have died when hit by drunks. I've also know plenty of drunk drivers, especially older ones. Some modification had to be made, but this sort of absolutism is sad, IMHO.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Some people can muster this kind of bootstraps change in their life and some can't. It depends heavily on their family structure and their community. I hope for his sake that he can. But some people can have a lot more difficulty recovering from a degrading incident like this and it has nothing to do with their strength or fortitude as the "suck it up" crowd would have us believe. That is what is so insidious about using shame and humiliation as a teaching tactic. There are lots of other consequences that she could have chosen from after selling the car that would have had a better chance of ensuring what we all want, which is for him to straighten up and make better decisions. If she had used the same principal to make him apologize and talk to victims of DUIs it at least would have had some basis to teach consequences.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What does it have to do with? a lack of character? A lack of desire to correct behavior that caused the "degradation" (NOTHING in the article even remotely suggests that the community is doing something such as pointing at him as he walks down the street and "degrading" him, BTW)? A desire to blame others for whatever bad things happen? I don't see how accepting the ad requires any more strength of character than talking to and apologizing to victims of DUIs.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
So let's just say they both acted immaturely and move on with our lives.

My idea for her next ad:

"Room For Rent: World's meanest mom has kicked out her no-good 19-year-old, car-less, jobless son because he had booze in his car. Room is furnished with portable meth lab and one mattress, soiled due to son's bladder control problem. Son will be turning tricks on Des Moines street corner, super-cheap rates due to small genitalia and erectile dysfunction caused by meth addiction*."

Now THAT'S humiliation.

*And yes, I'm aware that the son's meth addiction and genitalia size was never mentioned in the article and is a total fabrication on my part. I was using extreme examples in the interest of satire.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Maybe he's hardheaded and doesn't listen or care. Maybe when others hear about what he did and give him thier 2 cents on it he'll straighten the hell up. People need to be held accountable for thier actions. If he has trouble with people treating him like an irresponsible dumb ass, then he should not have been involved with alcohol. Wether it be his or his friends, it was still his car.He should have shown better judgement. College boy, was he? Yeah, I feel real good about the future generation.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As I've said before, I agree that he needs to be held accountable for his actions and the mother taking the car for her son having alcohol is harsh but a justified punishment. I only have an issue with the 'revenge' ad that she took out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks