What's new

Me and my uncle starting building a tempest sonotube and need some help on ports (1 Viewer)

Scott Parker

Agent
Alright, we went out and bought a 12' piece of 24" sonotube yesterday. And I just ordered my Tempest a couple minutes ago. We figured we'd cut it into 3 pieces makes 3 4' subs. Were wondering what to do with the ports. Dan's design suggested we put 2 4" 17" ports on the bottom, but I figured wouldn't it be easier to just put 'em on the top. That way we can save room for some nice beefy legs. We were thinking 4" PVC caps. Does it matter where you put 'em. And if I wasn't gonna do 2 4" flared, could I just put a 6" port on the top that wasn't flared, pvc or something. We're going with the MDF for the endcaps, and 2 glued together for the bottom, just to let ya know. Okay couple more questions, what's the difference in a class AB amp and a class D amp, parts express has both. Is the #300-794 about the same as the AVA250? I guess I would need them to defeat the bass boost at 30hz for me right, and is the rumble filter okay or can I get that taken off too. Okay im done, thanx

Scott Parker

Agent
Aight, that's cool I didn't really think the placement mattered either, I just wanted to know for sure. So what do you guys think about the partsexpress amp, its $50 bucks cheaper for what looks like the same thing aside from the bass boost. They still haven't emailed me back about whether or not they could defeat the bass boost or not.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IIRC, the PE 300-794 has the bass boost defeated. If not, PE will send you the resistors to do it. They are also very helpful at the PE Tech Talk Board.

-Robert

Scott Parker

Agent
Alright, one more thing, poly batting. I've been looking around for some options and I found this one store with 2 different densities. I think they're both around 1 and a quarter, should I go for the more dense one. Or should I just pick up some polyfill at walmart and stuff it in there? And if I went the poly batting way, would 1 layer be enough, cause I read one guy used 3 layers. How do you glue all those together?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Alright, one more thing, poly batting.
Stuffing a ported box has a different purpose than stuffing in a sealed enclosure. For a ported box, the goal is to actually "damp" any resonant frequencies inside the enclosure. Since we're talking about a ported subwoofer here, the wavelengths you're dealing with will probably be larger than your 4' sub. So, it's not likely you'll have a problem with resonant freqs.

The more likely scenario is that your enclosure will resonate or vibrate, so your goal is to make the box/tube as acoustically "dead" as possible. So, if you are going to use poly fill, use the heavier. I've seen some designs that use that spray-on sound proofing stuff used on the inside of car panels. You can find this at auto parts stores... but I hear it's smelly stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks