What's new

McCartney's 'Give My Regards To Broad Street' - any takers? (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Holy crap! Where did this one come from? Released April 20th.

Not a great film, but one for hardcore Beatle fans. The artwork shows little imagination.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Just like the movie...

- Steve

P.S.: I saw it in the theater and have the laserdisc...I'm sure I'll find a cheap price on the DVD and get it, too.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I love this film :b Sure the plot's ridiculous, but it's PAUL! And RINGO! Sorry, Beatle whore right here.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
...Incredible musician/songwriter.

It's really noice to finally have this movie in it's original aspect ratio.

Thanks again Fox.

C

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I picked up the Anthology last week (on sale cheap now and it is FANTASTIC) and was considering this or the Back in the US DVD (from the 2002 tour).

Thanks for the heads up and obviously I'll pass on this one, but might look at the BitUS release.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm a lifelong Beatles/solo Beatles fan and collector, but even I think this movie's a grim disaster. Having said that, I do enjoy the songs - even the newer ones like Not Such a Bad Boy and No Values.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, no doubt the songs are good. What
would you expect? It's just the god-awful
story that was written to accompany the music.

By the way, a bit of trivia about this film....

Back in the 1980s, when VHS films were selling
for $80 a pop, Star Trek II was the
first sell-through title ever released, through
Paramount, at a $29 pricetag. Fox's very first
sell-through title was Give My Regards To
Broad Street

....if any of you care. :)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, NO VALUES is a great song. I'm planning on getting the DVD just for it.

Paul himself said it is a bad film. He wrote one draft and that is what got filmed. No one went to him and suggested parts get changed, they just filmed what he wrote.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the bit of trivia, Ron. For some reason, I thought TOP GUN was the first sell-through title (the Pepsi ads at the beginning of the tape were a way to offset the lower price).

As for Broad Street, I'll pick it up eventually, but it's pretty low on my list of priorities. It's good to have a few discs around to clear out the house when a party runs too late. :)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Agreed, the film is a shining example of 'cinema fromage'. Big fan of 'Not Such A Bad Boy', and I tend to skip the 'Eleanor Rigby' dream. McCartney was in awe of Sir Ralph Richardson, but his appearance does nothing.

As far as the soundtrack, one of my old bands would use 'Goodnight Lonely Princess' when we were finished for the night (or in some cases, if we'd had enough... :) )

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I'm in the minority again? How did that happen?

Ok, anyway... as long as we're here. This title came out of nowhere, as have a few others that I have.

If this title is sooo bad, then why was it put on DVD?

No, I'm not arguing that the majority thinks it is a bad film, but couldn't the studio have picked a title that would sell more. Why pick a bad one?

Was this a sympathy run for the wife of the CEO or something?

Glenn

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I love the soundtrack CD. Used to listen to it quite a bit back in the early 90's. Not a big fan of "Silly Love Songs", but everything else on the CD was gold.

I've never seen the movie, and I have no plans to. I don't want to ruin my future enjoyment of the soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks