What's new

Maybe working in Indonesia. Any tips? (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I maybe working in Indonesia starting September doing some music work as an executive producer. In Jakarta, to be exact. Any pointers about this new Indonesia (post May '98 Riot)? Will long hair give me a problem?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
I am an Indonesian Chinese. Please do not wear any eye-catching on your body because those "uneducated" people gonna rob you, maybe. I think you better wear anything simple but presentable.

Please be careful in the immigration clearance area, they might make anything difficult out of you. Usually if you look "rich" or "wealthy", they might ask some "gift" or money. Same apply to custom clearance. Good luck, man.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Just like many music producers in Indonesia, I only wear yellowed dinky crap-looking t-shirt, shorts, and sandal-jepit. I used to work there pre "May '98 Riot". Is it better or worse now? I know that the place is more polluted and corrupt more than ever (rated 4th worst in the world, actually), but since I haven't been there since the riot (when they burnt my studio down), I know nothing about Indonesia anymore.

Also, coming as a Canadian for my preliminary contract signing, how much Rp is the cost of visa to enter Indonesia? I know there is a fee (applicable since around May 2002)

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
David,

I think the situation now is "managable" because Megawati is ruling Indonesia now. There are not much "troubles" there. Now, Chinese people are more appriciated. I am studying in Singapore now because I have lost hope towards Indonesia. IMO, there will be no future there.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
long hair is not a problem.

if you needed to buy a car, make sure to buy a simple car. my father could afford at least a bmw 3 series, but decided not to. simply because jakarta is not safe. he bought a suzuki baleno instead, and never got any problem.

there are lots of expensive cars in jakarta these days, but dont be surprised if they dont have their mirrors or logos! and dont be too surprised if you saw a scratch or two.

be prepared to bring lots of coins ( 100 rupiah coins ) to give beggars around the red light.

okay, in indonesian language = tukang parkir. i dont know what that is in english. they help you to park your cars if you needed to park your car "outside". prepare to give them between 1000 to 2000 rupiahs. in central jakarta, or in ancol, it could be more these days. they are illegal, but they would do harm to your beloved car if you dont give them money.

dont show your cell phone. make sure you keep your cellphone in your pocket.

oh yeah, be really careful with the buses, metrominis ( smaller buses ), and mikrolet ( like bus, but much smaller, i dont know how to describe it in english ). they drive like crazy especially after 98, because everything goes to the atmosphere, pricewise. just be patient, and let them pass you.

i will post some more if i could come up with more info.

and please be careful when you drive around kramat raya street to salemba street. there are two factions. one on the east and one on the west side of the street. they love to kill each other. honest. they KILL each other using stones, knifes, fireworks, arrows...and they frequently battle it out on the street. it is a mess.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
cool. thanks for the info so far. At least I know that I should avoid public transport in general and buy cheap cars. Air Conditioning is manadatory, I guess.

I know that there is no hope in Indonesia, but it's better than nothing, I guess. Music business in Canada is not giving too much hope either at the time being.

I heard that last year alone, there were 370 Million CDs and Cassettes sold in Indonesia, and the number is only counting the legal sales (no pirated version included in that number, no 'uncounted' sales to evade tax included).

It'll be for a year or two business and I'm outta there.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
"At least I know that I should avoid public transport in general "

yea, especially on metrominis. crazy drivers, lots of thieves...etc etc. you are really risking your life with them. there were quite a few metromini accidents. one took a dive to sunter river ( about 17 people dead not because of the impact, but because they couldnt get out of it ). people hate the metrominis so that if they found one "asking for troubles", they would just burn it.

if you need to purchase a pc, go to mangga dua mall. no other place in the city that can offer competitive price.

i would also try to stay away from atrium senen, because there were already a few bombs exploded there.

and about pirated cds...i think jakarta is like heaven for piraters. go to mangga dua mall or kota area, there are tons of them there.

btw, just in case ex canadians like to ice skate, the only place in town you can visit is taman anggrek mall. it is my favorite mall so far, it is also the biggest one.

my family has two places to stay in kelapa gading area. one apartment, and one house ( currently being built ). if you want to invest a house i think kelapa gading is the best bet. security is increased by three folds there. if you want to enter a certain area, you need to know where the gate is. they closed all passages but one to make it harder for robbers to escape.

now, who knows the english term for martabak? it is my favorite cake in my entire life. everytime i pay jakarta a little visit, the first thing i would get is two boxes of martabak bangka with cheese, bananas, etc etc. its like eating in heaven.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Oooooh, I looooove Martabak, especially the Martabak Manis kind, the ones with peanuts and Muisjes (real-chocolate sprinklers). Also the original Martabak India with the use of Minyak Samin (whatever that is).

It's quite unfortunate that Indonesia took such a downturn.

I don't know where I'm going to live but either in Taman Kedoya Baru (across the RCTI TV station) or somewhere near Santa Maria junior high, the area where the studio is located.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
kedoya baru? that means you are going to pass the cross section near taman anggrek mall a lot. under the highway bridge, there are lots of beggars. be careful there. traffic jam will be your everyday experience.

when did you leave indonesia? i left jakarta 2 years ago to live in chicago, currently depaul university, grad student for computer graphics. i dont have plan to going back there. the traffic jam is horrible, crime is everywhere.

i paid jakarta a visit last year for about 3 weeks, and it was a little bit different from when i left it. in the last 5 to 6 years, they have built tons of new bridges, so the city layout has changed a lot. there are drivers who got "trapped" by corrupt policemen this way. they accused the drivers for driving the wrong way, while the new intersection, bridge, or whatever was just opened a few days ago. a little mistake might cost you around 20.000 rupiah to 50.000.

btw where is this santa maria you mentioned? there is a santa maria school near jatinegara. i used to live in that area ( my family still lives there even though they have two other places at kelapa gading ).

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
Felix, it is a shame that your country is one of the four most corrupt countries in the world, according to Transparency International. Corruption just drives out honest Indonesians from the country and leaves only the lesser honest ones.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
"one of the four most corrupt countries in the world"

really? i didnt know that, but it doesnt surprise me. corruption in indonesia is part of the culture.

for example.

there are two type of wedding party.

the most popular, because it is cheaper, is to present the food on a looong table or booths so that guests could get whatever they like themselves.

the second most popular is where the guests sit before round tables, where a table has 10 guests.

i prefer the second one.

i really hate it when people dont get in line nicely when queuing for food. these people dont have any concept of "shame" in their mind. they dont have discipline. and they would get as much food as they can to share with their family because they are too lazy to get in line. then most of the food they took end up in the garbage can simply because they took too much of it and there is a big chance that they dont like it.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Yep, Felix, according to the list, Indonesia is the 4th most corrupt country in the world.

I left Indonesia in 1990 to move to Australia, in 1992 I moved to Canada but still going back and forth for vcation and business until 1998. Since then I've never stepped foot in Indonesia anymore. The country hurt me too much.

Now I have no choice, my contract with my current employer is about to expire and I don't have a new contract yet other than the Indonesian music studio thingie. So it's either I take that job or work at (uhm) WalMart. However, most of my memories of Indonesia have faded into obscurity. I still remember Citraland and Taman Anggrek although I don't know exactly how to get there anymore.

The Santa Maria I mentioned is the Ursulin Santa Maria (Batu Tulis area).

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
batu tulis? that is close to bina nusantara university. i was there for 4 years, but i dont really know that area well.

good luck. the key to live in jakarta is to be patient all the time. i couldnt do it. if you met me here in chicago you will see that i am a very patient person. not so if i lived in jakarta. the stress level is too god damn high.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I'm sure pretty soon I'll have a heart attack living in Indonesia. I'm an extremely efficient (thus, highly impatient) person. The job over there is only something to tide me over until a better job come along.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Do they have bodyguard for-hire in Indonesia? I may be able to ask for them to be included as part of my contract.
I'm not talking about the 'abang-abang' type, but real legit bodyguard.

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
David,
I don't think you really need a bodyguard ;)
You are safe when you are dressed in simple dressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks