What's new

Maybe this is old news... (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If the developers' learning curve is shorter (and we've got no reason to believe otherwise) for the XBox, by summer or about then, we should be seeing quite an impressive selection of games for all.
I don't see your logic. SSX was a launch game and it looked and played great. If the XB is easier to program for, shouldn't we be able to see something better at its launch? I think its more in the creativity of the developer than the learning curve of the console that decides whether a game will be good or not.
To tell the truth, DoA3 and Halo are launch games and they look pretty impressive, so I don't think its really a matter of learning curve but time and money spent.

James D S

Screenwriter
There will always be a learning curve of some sort, regardless. We can expect higher quality games and a higher rate in the future. My gut tells me by summer of next year, or there abouts, even mediocre developers will be producing some impressive wares.
Just because a platform is easy, like the XBox, comparitively speaking, does not mean there are not tricks to uncover and better more efficient methods wating to be discovered.
Give it time, and I'm sure you'll see a deep and expansive library - of legitimate contenders. And quickly.

James D S

Screenwriter
quote: Kids under the age of 15 should have just as many cool games as people over the age of 20.[/quote]
Sure. What's your point? I did not exclude them, just minimized their market impact? (Mommie won't buy as many games as older brother will.)
quote: What's the point in denying kids of games?[/quote]
Read my post again. I think you might be a bit confused. I said absolutely nothing about "denying kids games." I'm just going to assume that that comment was not meant for me. Sorry for the confusion if there was any.
[Edited last by James D S on October 25, 2001 at 02:19 AM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I could care less if a game looks better than anything else on the console if the game plays like crap and isn't fun at all. Mediocre developers might be able to make good looking games on the XB, but they could still suck, which makes it pointless. The DC had many games that people liked to play that just so happened to have great graphics, not games that had great graphics that sucked. That's why people liked it so much.
The XB doesn't have many new third party developers who haven't developed for consoles before, so I'm not expecting the quality of the games to increase at all just because they are on the XB.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
If the Dreamcast had so many games that were fun to play, and people liked it so much, why didn't it do better than it did?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
More people buy McDonalds hamburgers than other superior burgers every day. Does it mean everybody else makes inferior burgers? No, it means McDonalds has better marketing, momentum, and at least a tiny bit of luck.
A real gamer doesn't care what the mainstream buys.
wink.gif

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Also, the console was a huge success in America compared to Japan. The launch in Japan was worse than the American PS2 launch (not shortage of consoles, but REALLY bad games that were filled with bugs and such) and was never really that popular. The PSX had Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior, the N64 had Mario and Zelda, and Sonic only had two games in the consoles lifetime, the second of which had some problems and wasn't all it could have been.
The DC also came out in America a year later and that gave the Japanese market an extra year with it. If it fails in Japan, then it gets one less year in America. I personally think Sega got too ambitious and ruined it themselves.
I really never liked my DC because I don't like Sports games and Shenmue (IMHO) sucked. That pretty much ruined it. Thankfully, I do like platformers, adventures, and fighters, so I got my money's worth out of it.
In the first two years of my PSX, I bought more games than I did for my DC. I have around 40 something PSX games and I've had it for around 4 years. Less than 15 for DC in the 2 years its been out (last one I bought was probably Shenmue because the rest weren't really worth it).
Don't take this as DC bashing, but my personal beliefs why it failed.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
The retailers are right. They're going to sell more PS2's this Christmas this year by virtue of availability. There are going to be only like 1.5 million units available of each the Xbox and Gamecube before the end of the year. What are people going to buy when those are gone? PS2s. What are people going to buy who want PS2 games? PS2. Sony has good titles as a draw and a lot more units to sell than their competetors. They'll sell more hardware, they'll sell more software. This isn't exactly a surprise.
------------------
Brad Grenz
Link Removed
the Widgets

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks