What's new

May need new rear speakers (1 Viewer)

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wayne
Hi all,

I live in Canada so I'd like to start off by saying I may not have all the options you guys do in terms of selection.

I am considering upgrading my rear speakers to the kind that mount directly on wall. My new setup may not allow for my current bookshelf speakers.

I'd rather not spend tonnes of money, but I want good quality speakers that are not too large.

I'd prefer to buy them from a big box store so I could find them easily and more likely to have them in stock.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Put some shelves on the wall, and use the speakers you have, unless you just don't like them.........Should be a bit cheaper.

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wayne
I don't like them nor does the missus. They are too big. We are getting new ones. Smaller the better for the room we have. Any recommendations people?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What brand/model are the other speakers? Do they not have wall-mountable surrounds?

Beyond that, my favorite all time surrounds are made by Axiom Audio - QS8's (or QS4's). How these will sound with your other speakers is something I cannot answer. Although it is not as import to timbre match surrounds with the fronts, you still should if you can.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/qs8.html

And they are Canadian.

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wayne
David,

My front speakers are Athena; centre is Polk; Velodyne subwoofer.

I did not realize that the speakers had to match. That was not what I was told when I bought them. I was just told to buy what sounds good to your ears.

The QS8's sound good but pricey. Anything else that I could find at Future Shop or Best Buy that would be any good?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I took a quick look at Future Shop and BestBuy/Canada's websits and there's not really to much that caught my eye. Since you're up north I'd look for some Energy or Athena's, even on the used market. But really, you do need a new complete matched set.

If you're bent on getting them from FS or BB then just get what fits your budget and space. It's not as critical for the surrounds to match as it is for the fronts and center. But a well matched setup really does make a difference, though. And a really good sub.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Check out some Polk audio, that will match your center (Best Buy usually sells them, around here anyway). You can then use them for your fronts, and move the Athenas to the rear. It's not as critical that the rears match, as much as it is the fronts. The reason they need to match is for timbre. When sounds pan from side to side, at the front, you want all three speakers to sound the same, instead of changing sound at the center, and then back again on the other side (unrealistic sounding). Ideally, all the speakers should match (same brand and series), but since the rears are farther away, the difference in sound isn't as noticable, as it is with the fronts.

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wayne
I cannot make the Athena the rear speakers as they are too large.
I think I am going to go with the axiom rear surround QS 4 for now and just pay a little more than I budgeted. Later, when I want to upgrade, I will go with the Axiom front and center speakers. I will stick with the polk centre and velodyne sub for now as well and maybe upgrade them in the future.

Ed, I know what you mean about the front. I have not been that thrilled with the sound of the front and center. I have a professional going to hook up in new house. If I'm not happy with sound I might uprgrade sooner than later.
Thanks for all the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks