What's new

maximum lengths for DVI and HDMI?? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
At what lengths will picture quality start to suffer?

I saw a chart somewhere once but of course I can't find it again!

Also, where can I find good quality cables 20-25' long and at a reasonable price?

Much abliged!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Geez, can't let you swing in the wind like that Paul! My general understanding is that the spec for this cable is 5 meters or about 15 feet. Even so, many users have reported being able to successfully run considerably longer lengths and this appears to be related to the resolution with lower resolutions placing considerably less demands upon the cable. I also recall seeing a vendor website that tabulated people's responses based upon their equipment but I don't remember where it is. Other reputable sources are pacific cables, ram electronics, etc.

MarcVH

Second Unit
Cheapest place I've seen for these cables is Monoprice, and they do have long ones (50 ft). Haven't tried them myself, but some people say they seem to work OK.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Belkin as also just issued this press release:

"Sep 08, 2005 10:00

Belkin's PureAV(R) HDMI(TM) Interface and DVI Digital Solutions Allow Use of Digital Cables at Longer Lengths; Cable Lengths of up to 100 Feet with Maintained Quality Within the HDMI Spec Give Custom Installers More Flexibility

INDIANAPOLIS & COMPTON, Calif. --(Business Wire)-- Sept. 8, 2005 Custom installers and home theater enthusiasts now have more flexibility and more cable length options of up to 100 feet with the PureAV by Belkin line of HDMI Interface and HDMI Interface-to-DVI Cables, Adapters, and Extenders. These digital cables meet the HDMI spec while integrating high-quality materials and construction to deliver pristine audio and video quality. These HDMI solutions will be shipping in North America in November 2005. They will also be on display at the CEDIA 2005 Show in Indianapolis, IN, September 9-11, at 1347 RCA Dome.
PureAV cables use silver-plated, 99.99% oxygen-free conductors, five layers of shielding, and precision-formulated dielectric material to ensure a sharp, detailed, vibrant picture, and accurate, crisp sound.

The HDMI interface is backward-compatible with DVI, allowing connection of HDMI-capable components and displays to equipment with DVI connections. HDMI-to-DVI is ideal for connecting digital displays, such as HDTVs, plasma displays, LCD TVs, and projectors, to digital source devices, such as DVD players/recorders, digital set-top boxes, and AV receivers. PureAV also offers adapters that convert your component's HDMI and DVI connections for all-digital, high-definition video transfer from DVI-enabled to HDMI-enabled components. -0-

HDMI Interface Audio Video Cable (AV52300-XX) 30 ft.-100 ft. --
$299.99 to $599.99

HDMI Interface-to-DVI Video Cable (AV52400-XX) 30 ft.-125 ft. --
$299.99 to $599.99

DVI Dual-Link Cable (AV51400-30) 30 ft. -- $299.99

HDMI Interface and DVI Extenders (AV54500 and AV54501) -- $299.99

For extended HDMI, DVI, and HDMI-to-DVI connection distances (above 30 feet), a signal extender is required. The PureAV HDMI Interface and DVI Extenders provide leading-edge technology that allows you to extend your connections up to 125 feet while maintaining crystal-clear picture and sound. The Extenders support video resolutions of up to 1080p and are compatible with High-Definition Content Protection (HDCP). PureAV offers 50-, 75-, 100-, and 125-foot (5, 23, 30.5, 38m) cables that are designed to work in conjunction with both Extenders. Shorter lengths are also available without the use of an Extender.

DVI-to-HDMI Interface Video Adapter (AV54008) -- $29.99

The PureAV DVI-to-HDMI Interface Video Adapter, which consists of a female DVI connector and a male HDMI connector, allows you to connect a DVI cable to an HDMI interface-enabled component. With it, you can plug the HDMI side of the Adapter into your HDMI-enabled component, and connect a DVI cable from the other component into the DVI end of the adapter.

HDMI Interface-to-DVI Video Adapter (AV54007) -- $29.99

The PureAV HDMI Interface-to-DVI Video Adapter, which consists of a female HDMI connector and a male DVI connector, allows you to connect an HDMI interface cable to a DVI-enabled component. This lets you plug the DVI side of the Adapter into your DVI-enabled component, and connect the HDMI interface cable from the other component into the HDMI end of the adapter.

About PureAV

PureAV by Belkin provides the highest-quality connectivity solutions necessary to unleash the performance of all your audio video devices. The development of this premier AV solution results from Belkin's 20-plus years of leading-edge experience in digital connectivity and power protection. Designed to extract the full potential of your components, PureAV integrates technology and high-quality performance with a modern, clean elegance previously obtainable only at a premium price. PureAV products include power protection, interconnects, and digital wireless solutions. They are available through http://www.pureav.com as well as through a network of major distributors, resellers, and superstores.

Belkin Corporation, the global leader in connectivity solutions, launched its PureAV line in January 2004. Since then, the line has received numerous design awards from iF, I.D., CES, Business 2.0, and others. It has also garnered much praise from respected experts and publications in the AV field.

HDMI and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC.

Belkin Corporation
Melody Chalaban, 310-604-2347
mobile: 310-864-2425
[email protected]"

PaulDF

Second Unit
Thanks guys, tho some of that is a little overly technical for me, and overly pricey too!

Now, what about Toslink? How long can I run an optical cable? I need about 25'. And is it okay to use a coupler? (they only sell lengths of 12' where I am shopping).

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's ok to use a coupler but it's not the most elegant solution. A real nice place to get all kind of lengths is from lifatec.com. Don't know what the surcharge will be to Canada but you can get just about any length you want.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Thanks Chu, Lifatec looks pretty good. I'll put them on the top of my list.

Well I tried to order my cables from cablesforless.com but they don't ship to Canada anymore! Too many problems at the border they say...

So I ordered from monoprice.com their prices seem "too good to be true" (especially for 25 ft cables), and they don't look like much, but I'll give them a try. People HAVE given them good reviews, so we'll see what happens. If nothing else it'll be a hands on lesson in cable quality :D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I just ordered some cables from Monoprice myself - I hope to get a handful of HDMI-DVI adapters and a 25 foot HDMI-to-DVI cable soon...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I just got my cables - the 25 foot DVI->HDMI cable works fine! I also ordered 4 DVIHDMI converters, and the one I tried works fine too. In your face, Monster Cable! :)

PaulDF

Second Unit
I'm still waiting for my cables... And my PJ :frowning:

Thanks for the thumbs up on the cables guys! As long as "fine" means no signal loss/degredation (sp?) then I'm happy!

PaulDF

Second Unit
By the way.... I went to a (very reputable) local cable builder in our small town, and priced out their cheapest 25 foot component cable. $1200.

www.virtualdynamics.ca

Rick Shultz is a very nice guy. He explained a lot about cables to me, and took me through his shop. He seemed to understand that his product was wayyy too much for an average guy like me. So then he went on to tell me how to build a very good quality cable at a low price which would outperform the majority of the big name cables! (Which I'm sure is fairly common knowledge among DIYers, but for a cable company president to tell me??)

Then he offered to "cook" it for me after I built it to improve its performance!

Then, as I was walking out the door, he called me back and offered to help me solder them if I wanted!

What a great guy... I guess he figured I would never be one of his customers so he might as well help me out anyway. If anybody here can afford cables like this, I say go for it, they did look very impressive.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Wow, sounds like a great guy! $1200 is a heck of a lot of money though! :)

I sure hope your cables make it through - I don't know how far Barrhead is from Calgary, but maybe that is why it is taking a little longer to deliver?

After receiving my package from Monoprice, I went ahead and ordered a bunch of Toslink (6ft and 12ft) cables and a couple of digital audio coax cables from them.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck receiving your pj and cables!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I just received my optical (Toslink) cables along with a 30 foot component video cable and a handful of regular coax digital audio cables last Friday. It sure took them long enough - they shipped on the 25th!

I only tested one 6 ft Toslink cable and it works. I imagine the rest are fine as well.

I'm stocking up on these cables for friends and family who may need them in the future...

PaulDF

Second Unit
It took two weeks for my cables to arrive from Monoprice. The component cables are pretty plain to look at, but they are built pretty heavy, and work just fine. The price still seems way too low....

I ordered a 33ft toslink from Lifatec a few days ago, so we'll see how long that takes to arrive.

BTW, Barrhead is about 5 hrs north of Calgary, and I don't imagine that would cause more than a day or so more shipping time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks