Maximum component video cable length?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Todd^B, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Todd^B

Todd^B Stunt Coordinator

I am building my basement and would like to run a component video cable thru the ceiling to where our future projector will be.

I have found a 25' and a 100' component cable on the internet.

Will the video degrade after a certain length? I think 25' should be enough to go up the wall and diagonally across the ceiling.

Would adding wall plates for a better look and connecting the cables thru the wall plates degrade the video at all?

I may also run stereo RCA cables w/yellow video and an S-video cable. Do you see any issues with the either.

Thanks.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Do you know what projector it is? Many more are starting to come with DVI inputs for a bit perfect digital signal, and the current players with DVI outs are cheap.

If not then 25' sounds fine. The VGA cable to my LCD screen is about 20' and I don't notice any difference when I hooked it up with the stock 6' or so cable.

3. Todd^B

Todd^B Stunt Coordinator

DVI is a consideration.

I would like to have inputs into the projector from a satellite receiver, s-vhs maybe.

Those would be s-video though.

Not sure which projector yet. Still doing homework on those.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The custom cable sites sell coax by Canare and Belden that are rolled out to 100 ft, tested and the results are published - you should be fine.

Dont under any circumstances put in wall-plates and break the connections. While this is fine for audio, it is harmful for video, and even worse for progressive/HD video (Think of a speed bump at 5 mph and 50 mph)

You can buy blank wall-plates and cut your own holes and a slit to thread the cables through if you want.

The custom cable sites can sell you 2 long runs of cable:

- Component cable
    - another component cable, but made with mini-coax so that 2 of the wires terminate in SVideo and the third in a RCA plug for composite. This will give you all possible combinations you might need.

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Have you considered running conduit through your ceiling so that you can easily pull more cable through later? I forgot to do this the first time and had to rip my ceiling open again. [​IMG]

Put 3" conduit if at all possible.

6. Todd^B

Todd^B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info.

I will check those two cable manufacturers.

I might be able to run conduit. That would be a good idea if it will fit in my 2x4 wall. I do have a little space behind the wall where the insulation is.

I am also considering making "pillars" in the corner of our HT room. Just to give it a theater feel. I could use these to run conduit. Since my receiver and temporarily our Sony Vega will be in the corner, this might work out well.

Thanks for the ideas.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Before you get corrected by some electronics snob in real life [​IMG] it's spelled Wega, pronounced "Vega."

www.sony.com/wega

8. Ali K

Ali K Auditioning

You cab find DVI- cables in 20' and 40' lengths from Monster, the MSRP is quite high but if you do a froogle search, you can find substantial savings!!!

I have just purchased a 40' DVI-D for my Sony HS20 and am also worried about signal degradation. However; digital signal shouls be less compromised.