Max Room Size for Dayton 10" Sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by billybob_jcv, Jun 4, 2005.

1. billybob_jcv

billybob_jcv Stunt Coordinator

This is either a completely noob question, a completely unanswerable question, or both... :b

I know it will completely depend on the specifics of the room, but is there any way to guesstimate the maximum room size the little Dayton 300-632 sub can handle for typical home theater spl levels? I'm not talking about shaking pictures off the wall with SVS Ultra/2 levels - just good general home theater & music for the family. In other words, is there a general calc I can use to estimate the max spl of a powered sub for a given room volume & distance from the listening position? Is there software or a white paper I could use as a reference? Math doesn't scare me...

As a follow-up, is there a way to estimate what the addition in spl would be for adding a second Dayton sub to a room?

Thanks!

2. Max F

Max F Second Unit

How big is your room? And how loud do you like to hear the peaks in a movie? 95db, 100 db, 105 db

Then we may tell you if its good enough [​IMG]

3. billybob_jcv

Well - that's my basic question - I want to know *how* you will make that determination so I can figure it out for myself. [​IMG]

I don't know what spl I want - what is the target range for a typical family HT? What spl does a typical neighborhood theater generate? [​IMG]

4. Jeff_Wi

Jeff_Wi Stunt Coordinator

What are the dimensions of the room? Do you have a sound pressure level meter? We need more information about your tastes before we can answer.

5. billybob_jcv

Ok - I guess I'm not being clear in my request, so I'll give my room dimensions and wait for the reponses.

But, I will ask again: How are you making the determination from my room dimensions? The thought process and/or calculations used to make the recommendation are what I really want to know!

Room is: 17' x 26' with a 9' x 5' cutout, so approximately 390 sq ft. There is a 4 foot opening on one wall to the rest of the house, and a 2.5 foot opening on another wall to the kitchen and the rest of the house. These openings can not be closed. There are also high ceilings: 12' sloping up to 17' then back down to 11'. Total volume of the listening room is around 5700 cu ft by my calcs. The listening area occupies one end of the room, with the couch about 15' from the screen.

I want to listen to HT & music at "typical" spl levels for a family. I don't know what that level is - is there somewhere with guidelines? That's why I asked what spl levels are found at a typical commercial theater - I'm not looking for more than that.

I wasn't really trying to ask: Is this sub big enough? Is that sub big enough? I want to understand how one determines the maximum room size that is appropriate for a given sub. I assume it is based on the size and max excursion of the driver, the amp power available, the near-field max spl, the room loading, etc.

Am I in the wrong forum?

6. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Honestly - you need to try it.

We have a little POS Jamo sub (it IS made in Denmark!) with a 8" woofer (ported and a big box) and it has about a 50 watt amp. In a LARGE room, corner loaded, it gives some 'decent' bass responce. However, compared to my bigger 12" JBL sub with about 5X the power, it is a total and utter joke. My next sub will make the JBL look like a total and utter joke.

Get the idea?

The sub will work, and make a difference, but up to about this, there will be pretty noticible differences for the money you spend.

7. Jeff_Wi

Jeff_Wi Stunt Coordinator

I agree, you really just need to try it and see if it meets your needs. Movie theaters can be quite loud and requires a lot of air moement at the lowest frequencies. I thinkyour family (including kids?) might not like the volume levels that high. The Dayton sub will give you decent low end, but it won't compare to other larger subs mentioned around this forum. All you can do is try it out.

8. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I'd say, you will be fine... I have mine in a @ 15x21 room. 9ft cielings... rear opens to a 12x 12 bedroom...
    I get great listening enjoyment, to the piont that my wife and two daughters are saying..."THAT"S TOO LOUD"!!!!