What's new

"Maverick" & "The Wild Wild West" (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Next month Canada and are getting "Maverick" and "The Wild Wild West" (Germany also WWW)

Are there any plans to release these in the States? (Or is "Maverick" going to be with held due to Mel Gibson's current negative image)

Really love to have "Maverick" on bl-ray (the DVD needs remastering)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yes, I thought Maverick was a fun Western in the mid 90s. I don't particularly enjoy watching Gibson in anything at this point, but perhaps I could ignore that....

Wild West West seemed over the top and mediocre at the same time. But maybe that's too harsh. It was certainly the most expensive Western (if you can call it that) ever, with a budget that--adjusted for inflation--would probably be around $200 million today...

I'd rather have one of the better TV Westerns on blu (The Virginian would get my vote), but I realize that's impossible and I'd probably rent these if they ever come out on blu...

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
I watched my old 1998 DVD of Maverick fairly recently and it was great entertainment. Unfortunately the picture quality was not good, so I'd be very keen on getting a blu-ray copy.

I've heard its coming out in France, so I would expect the US and Germany to follow soon.

Where I live in the UK, we'll have to wait years though !

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Maverick is out at Best Buy currently. It's on ad this week as well. Has anyone picked it up? I really would like to know how the transfer and audio is on the blu ray before picking it up!!

Thanks!!

GJN

Grip
Real Name
George
Today they're advertising Maverick and Wild Wild West at $12.99 as well as City Slickers, Get Shorty, Midnight Cowboy, and Back to School for $9.99

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I plan on picking up Maverick and probably City Slickers, Get Shorty and The Firm today.

_Man_

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Soft, dark and sometimes Mel Gibson and James Garner appear orange

Picked it up today for $12.99 watched some of it this afternoon. The image is clean, but the film is pretty soft and at times a bit dark. There were no scratches etc. Didn't notice any edge enhancement or much DRN. Sounds great

Not as sharp or detailed as "The Big Country" (1958) which really impressed me. (who says newer movies look better than older ones?)

I'm watching on a Pioneer Plasma screen if that makes a difference.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Picked it up toady for 12.99 watched some of it this afternoon. The image is clean, but the film is pretty soft and at times a bit dark. There were no scratches etc. Didn't notice any edge enhancement or much DRN. Sounds great

Not as sharp or detailed as "The Big Country" (1958) which really impressed me. (who says newer movies look better than older ones?)

I'm watching on a Pioneer Plasma screen it that makes a difference.

What's your screen size?

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
52" Pioneer Elite Plasma. The image is probably too soft in this transfer - could be DNR, not sure. I do not remember the film having a soft focus and do remember film grain in the theater.

The problem I have with this transfer is that it is very soft, almost too soft. Maybe too much DNR? There is hardly any film grain present but there are also no scratches or specks. "The Big Country" had some film grain and a much sharper deeper looking image - and I was very impressed, "Maverick" does not makes much less of an impression. It does look better than VHS - so that's not saying much, I suspect it could look sharper compared to other titles from the same time period. I do not think it was meant to look this soft

I don't know think this was the way the movie was filmed, haven't seen it in a theater since 1994 but I do remember the film had some grain. The print is also a bit darker than I would have liked and yet the blacks aren't deep black. I haven't seen the HD version so I have nothing to compare it to.

Still not sure about this one, people do not look waxy but there's not much sharperness to the image. "Austin Powers" looked much sharper and brighter to me last night.

I have not seen this on DVD in over ten years so this may or maynot be how it's supposed to look. I'm sure other will post as soon as the watch it.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I put the DVD on. When credits come up on the DVD they are up against a green felt poker table? On the blu-ray this was almost color less. At first I thought it was up against black screen but then could make someout detail, but no, not the green felt of the DVD - if I hadn't put on the DVD I might not have noticed the green at all.

I do remember this as a colorful film in the theater. The Blu-ray is colorful - so much so that Mel Gibson appears to have a spray on tan most of the film (He's sometimes orange) on the DVD he's not as orange (again this could be because the DVD is brighter)

On my 42" LCD the blu-ray is much sharper (But there is also some edge enchancement - not as noticable on the Plasma set)

The Blu-ray is sharper - much sharper than the DVD (which was released in 1997 so it looks nothing like DVD's released today) - but not "Blu-ray" sharp.

The colors were better once the titles ended but the DVD was brighter and more colorful. I was watching "The Nun's Story" last week and that DVD looks great on the LDC - almost like a blu-ray - I guess DVD's improved a lot since 1997)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

I put the DVD on. When credits come up on the DVD they are up against a green felt poker table? On the blu-ray this was almost color less. At first I thought it was up against black screen but then could make someout detail, but no, not the green felt of the DVD - if I hadn't put on the DVD I might not have noticed the green at all.

I do remember this as a colorful film in the theater. The Blu-ray is colorful - so much so that Mel Gibson appears to have a spray on tan most of the film (He's sometimes orange) on the DVD he's not as orange (again this could be because the DVD is brighter)

On my 42" LCD the blu-ray is much sharper (But there is also some edge enchancement - not as noticable on the Plasma set)

The Blu-ray is sharper - much sharper than the DVD (which was released in 1997 so it looks nothing like DVD's released today) - but not "Blu-ray" sharp.

The colors were better once the titles ended but the DVD was brighter and more colorful. I was watching "The Nun's Story" last week and that DVD looks great on the LDC - almost like a blu-ray - I guess DVD's improved a lot since 1997)

Thank you for the posts on the Maverick blu ray. I've been wanting to pick it up for a long time and will do so with the blu ray release. Nice that it's on sale this week at Best Buy as well.

The transfer softness is interesting.

I wonder what kind of budget and transfer process WB used for the blu ray of the film.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'm guessing this was an old master that was used. If a new one had been done, it would be much sharper and the blacks would be deeper.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Tim Haxton
Thank you for the posts on the Maverick blu ray. I've been wanting to pick it up for a long time and will do so with the blu ray release. Nice that it's on sale this week at Best Buy as well.

The transfer softness is interesting.

I wonder what kind of budget and transfer process WB used for the blu ray of the film.

Haven't gotten around to watching my copy just yet, but if you want it at the sale price this week, you might need to go (or at least order online for in-store pickup) today since it *might* only be for their Memorial Day 2-day sale.

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

Haven't gotten around to watching my copy just yet, but if you want it at the sale price this week, you might need to go (or at least order online for in-store pickup) today since it *might* only be for their Memorial Day 2-day sale.

_Man_

Thanks! It's in the weekly ad for this week. I picked it up today. Looking forward to watching it shortly..

Here's my funny / sad Best Buy story. They had the 2009 Taking of Pelham blu ray on the exclusive rack and then the 1974 one (exclusive one) in the 2009's spot!!!

LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks